Old 12-20-2021, 01:12 PM   #1
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
Pinball - Mooring field style

On Saturday morning I was out on deck doing some maintenance and fussing with things when I noticed a sail boat approaching the mooring field at one knot or less. It was dead calm, flat water. The captain was towing an dinghy on a 20' or so painter. All sails up. He appeared to have at least some amount of steerage, maybe.

I thought to myself, this is not going to end well. He entered the mooring field between two rows and I figured he had steerage enough to choose his entry point. As he proceeded into the field, his dinghy chose to drift to starboard and caught an unoccupied ball, and then the ball spun around a few times and the dinghy drifted towards the sail boat. He then pulled himself to his dinghy and started trying to free himself from the ball. He didn't have much luck.

Another sailor on a boat a few balls down offered to help unstick him, which he gladly accepted. He got back on his boat and stood there on deck while the volunteer freed his dinghy and painter from the ball.

Once free, he started drifting again, now with no steerage whatsoever.

He drifted into the next boat down the line and him and the volunteer did their best to fend off. The volunteer returned to his own boat. The captain then jumped into his dinghy and pulled on his outboard to no avail while he drifted into the next boat, an occupied boat. This one was fended by off by a long pole by it's occupant, and possibly some strong words. After this one, he drifted into yet another and did another round frantically pulling on the outboard before jumping back into his boat and attempting to fend off. He had side-tied his dinghy by now so it wasn't getting caught up in each boat as he collided with them.

So, the question is, in this situation what would be appropriate with respect to the owners of the boats that were collided into?

It's hard to have sympathy for the drifting boat, as the captain chose to sail with no wind and no viable means of backup propulsion and steered his way right into the field. I don't know if any of the boats collided with were damaged or not. Thoughts?
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 01:37 PM   #2
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Not a big fan of folks sailing in a mooring field w/o back up propulsion. Too much can go wrong. Last year watched some folks from a local race team t-bone a moored boat at a decent rate of speed. They just smacked it and kept going.

Years ago i saw Dennis Connor come into Newport harbor under full sail and spinnaker on a 12meter. Big no-no but don't think anyone had the stones to question him.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 02:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Lots'a maybe's here...without hearing the captain's side of the story I would not be so bold as to offer an opinion other than yes the sailboat should make any reparations necessary.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 02:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I would take photos of the boat as it hit the other boats. Then give them to the owners of the boats he hit. Hopefully with some registration numbers or boat name in the photos. Then if there are damages they can pursue the subject boat owner for repairs. Can’t stop idiots from boating…
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 02:55 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Lots'a maybe's here...without hearing the captain's side of the story I would not be so bold as to offer an opinion other than yes the sailboat should make any reparations necessary.
No maybes. I certainly can't represent the captains side of the story. I saw what I saw, a captain choosing to sail with little to no wind. He had all the time in the world to throw the hook down prior to entering the field and chose not to do so.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Barbara Ann
Vessel Model: Ranger Tug R31-S
If the sailboat and the dinghy both had no mechanical propulsion, I'd drop the hook just outside the mooring field. But if the dink's outboard ran, I'd have used it to tow the sailboat to a mooring ball.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 04:44 PM   #7
Guru

City: Boston Area
What kind of sailboat was it ? Pretty much everything over 20 feet ( unless its a pure raceboat or some sort of classic/replica ) comes with propulsion.

Lots of questions/variables: Was there a reasonable place to anchor before he got into the mooring area ? Where did he finally end up ? Was there a reasonable route around the mooring field if he was passing through ? Was bad weather (for his boat type) imminent ?

Since you know more about this than the rest of us, would you care to speculate what you would have done if you were at the helm 30 minutes before he entered the mooring area ? Is this a municipal mooring area or part of a yacht club? If think if I was a member of the same club as the "captain" and his victims, I'd probably try to establish contact by leaving a note on the boats that said " Fellow Club Member, you should check your starboard side hull about midships as I saw an older Pearson 26 make contact with your boat last Saturday. I believe it is the boat moored on ball #123 about 200 yards sw of our location. I am your neighbor that just downsized from the Nordhavn 62 to the new Hinckley Picnic Boat. Cheers.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 04:45 PM   #8
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:

Agreed. We don't have enough information to make an comment on the actions of the sailboat in question.

Also, regardless of the how and why of how he found himself in that situation, it is up to him to cover the cost of any damage he may have caused.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:43 PM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbman View Post
No maybes. I certainly can't represent the captains side of the story. I saw what I saw, a captain choosing to sail with little to no wind. He had all the time in the world to throw the hook down prior to entering the field and chose not to do so.
I am happy for you that you are so smart...and that just what meets the eye and is interpreted by a bystander must be correct...

A bunch of the maybe's I was referring to are due to the vast lack of info in the OP setting the scenario.... sorry that my accident investigation background haunts me to ask a lot of "whys".

Despite my background dealing with vessels in unusual predicaments and accident investigation, I will bow to your wisdom and hope you have fun with all the rest guessing why this happened.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:03 PM   #10
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
PS, you are correct, not enough info. Sails were up but no wind? That suggests that the auxiliary power would not come on, and a good sailor with wind can park the boat at will. The sailboat had momentum, there must have been a breeze. No wind, well enough said, the man needed help, not offered except by one.
The occupied boat could have offered to side tie until matters were sorted out.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 10:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
The good thing is that boats are not like automobiles.

One boat drifting into another is generally not going to cause any real damage especially if someone is able to fend of the drifting boat to make the boats touching a non event.

Yes if damage was done the boat should make reparations but chances are there was not any real damage. Boats are pretty tough.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 10:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I shorten the dinghy painter right up when approaching a mooring buoy. He might have been ok if he had, it`s the hooked up painter that starts the chain of events.
Sailing onto a mooring buoy requires a planned approach. Way easier under power, but perhaps he had none. You want to go head to wind on the bow reaching the mooring, picking it up immediately. We don`t know his intentions.
I hope it works out ok for all involved.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:49 PM   #13

City: Bellevue
Vessel Name: Rascal
Vessel Model: Homemade
The person on the occupied boat could have let him raft up until the sailor got his boat sorted out and motor going. If I saw him struggling and bouncing around the mooring field ahead of time I probably would have gone that route with him. If I saw him at the last minute I probably would have fended him off.

Sometimes folks need a minute to collect themselves.
RedRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:39 AM   #14
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Too bad so quick to judge and not so quick to offer a hand.
Old 12-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #15
Guru

City: Boston Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
.....says the guy judging the OP...
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
What kind of sailboat was it ? Pretty much everything over 20 feet ( unless its a pure raceboat or some sort of classic/replica ) comes with propulsion.

Lots of questions/variables: Was there a reasonable place to anchor before he got into the mooring area ? Where did he finally end up ? Was there a reasonable route around the mooring field if he was passing through ? Was bad weather (for his boat type) imminent ?

Since you know more about this than the rest of us, would you care to speculate what you would have done if you were at the helm 30 minutes before he entered the mooring area ? Is this a municipal mooring area or part of a yacht club? If think if I was a member of the same club as the "captain" and his victims, I'd probably try to establish contact by leaving a note on the boats that said " Fellow Club Member, you should check your starboard side hull about midships as I saw an older Pearson 26 make contact with your boat last Saturday. I believe it is the boat moored on ball #123 about 200 yards sw of our location. I am your neighbor that just downsized from the Nordhavn 62 to the new Hinckley Picnic Boat. Cheers.
This was a 28-30 foot sailboat. It may or may not have had onboard propulsion, if it did, no attempt was made to use it. The captain left a designated anchorage in calm weather with no forecast for any inclement weather to follow within the next few days. Winds would go from calm to 8-10 mph later in the day (sailable conditions later in the day). The entry path that was used is a designated day anchorage.

There is a reasonable route around the anchorage, a bit farther from shore. The captain eventually exited the other end of the mooring field and continued drifting/sailing into San Diego bay. This is a municipal mooring field.

I'm not passing judgement as some seem to have indicated. I'm asking what might be reasonable to do as an observer of this situation. If he had been close enough to help him fend off boats around me, I would have done so. As it was, the entanglements started off a good distance from me.

To answer your question, if I had been the captain in this same situation, would not have entered the field in the first place unless I had business in the field. It is not a zone for transit. I would have chosen to anchor short of the field until a viable means of propulsion was available (wind predicted later in the day, dinghy motor to tow/push) and avoided the field with that navigation. But that's just my opinion and I'm not really concerned about how he got there or why he was there or what he should have done.

Quote:
I am happy for you that you are so smart...and that just what meets the eye and is interpreted by a bystander must be correct...

A bunch of the maybe's I was referring to are due to the vast lack of info in the OP setting the scenario.... sorry that my accident investigation background haunts me to ask a lot of "whys".

Despite my background dealing with vessels in unusual predicaments and accident investigation, I will bow to your wisdom and hope you have fun with all the rest guessing why this happened.
Why the confrontational reply? Having been present I am familiar with the surroundings, the weather, the location, suitable anchorages. Questions like Benthic2 asked are more productive maybe?

I did not ask for opinions on the captains actions, how he got into the situation, or what he should have done. Some may wish to discuss that, that's fine. My opinion is that the captain chose to enter into this situation unprepared, and it's just that, my opinion based on my observations. That may not be the case and that's why I didn't ask for opinions on what he should have done or the merits of the situation for the captain involved.

The question I asked is as a spectator of this situation, what would be reasonable in response (if any) if there is damage to some of the boats that were collided with.

If a captain collides with an unoccupied boat, is he/she obligated to notify the owner of the boat? What if there is no damage are you still obligated to make such contact? What rules apply in this case? Local port/harbor rules?
Old 12-21-2021, 02:08 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Please enlighten me on how I could have offered a hand.
Old 12-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I shorten the dinghy painter right up when approaching a mooring buoy. He might have been ok if he had, it`s the hooked up painter that starts the chain of events.
Sailing onto a mooring buoy requires a planned approach. Way easier under power, but perhaps he had none. You want to go head to wind on the bow reaching the mooring, picking it up immediately. We don`t know his intentions.
I hope it works out ok for all involved.
He did side tie his dinghy later, but his attentions were divided between dealing with his dinghy and drifting into moored boats. His intention was not to catch a ball, the captain doesn't have a ball in this field.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:36 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Sounds like a challenging reply to me, plus judgement on the captain.

Have fun.
It's a factual statement, not a challenge or judgement. The run up to this area from the direction he was coming is a mile long, all suitable anchorage, in fact it's a designated 'day use' anchorage that no one was using at the time. It took a long time to cover this distance and the captain remained at his helm position during the entire time I observed his entry path. He made no attempt to shorten his dinghy line, enable propulsion or make any preparations during his approach the mooring field.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:23 PM   #20
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
There is more to learn from what went wrong for the sailboat than from some of the comments. Most important is shortening the dinghy painter in close quarters. That done, there might not be a thread.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote