Open vs. Covered Moorage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Covered costs more so it’s clearly better.

More desirable for those that can fit under the roof. :facepalm: Lots of vacant open berths here, but covered berths are all occupied, even with wooden decks and roofs. :eek: Sailboats aren't in the equation.

Last edited:
For two years we kept a boat on the Columbia River in Portland. The first year in a conventional slip in the flight path of PDX. Much time was spent waxing the acres of fiberglass on our 45' Sea Ray trying to combat spotting from jp4/5. The second year we moved under cover and washed a fair amount of bird and spider poop, but it was less maintenance. What we found though was the covered slip was considerably louder, always felt cold as it trapped the cold of the river water and it was a bummer to never be in the sun. Had we kept the boat we would of moved back outside as it was no fun to run down and stay in the covered slip on weekends.

I feel a single boathouse one would have better control ( spiders/birds/sound) and might be great
HOLLYWOOD

Two things...

We have retractable bimini and mast so our covered slip's roof eve need not be too high.

And, when we go to boat it's not to stay at dock... but rather to go out.

The local electrical power plant in Pittsburg, CA routinely pays for cleaning boats docked nearby.

Here is seattle area the wait is shorter for covered. Could be the height and sailboats.

Attachments

• waitlist screen shot.jpg
    waitlist screen shot.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 31
We had a covered spot on K dock in Everett, it was nice, the boat stayed dry and clean. In the summer we found ourselves wishing for an open spot...
Now we are in an open spot on I-dock and wish we had a covered spot in the winter !

Covered for me because I’m on a wooden boat. Very true about not finding the leaks until you are in the rain outside. No issue with darkness, etc. If you use the boat just take it out. Also I’m bow in so as another poster mentioned, we can sit outside dry and listen to the rain.

A few years ago, I looked at a mid 1980's Willard 40 that had been kept under cover for most of it's life. Gelcoat was still shiny and beautiful. Combined with teak-deck protection if your boat has them (Willards do not), the protection of a covered berth is undeniable.

Would it be better to switch seasonally, covered for winter and uncovered for summer?

You better be sure you'll have a covered slip available once you move out. Once you move out and someone else rents the slip, there is no guarantee another one will be available.

Attached is the Everett wait list, I tried to tie up two slips a few years ago as you can sub-lease for 6 months figured under cover in the winder and in the open in the summer. The Port said no.
And for a Covered spot in Everett there is a bit of a wait. If you have not contacted them you should, the Port is very friendly and tries to accommodate as much as they can.

I think 3 months for open in a 36' spot, and around 6 months for a covered spot. Our old spot on K dock faced West, there was not much of a view, but in the summer we were not in the direct sun so it was a bit cooler.

(keep in mind last year the wait list for a 36' covered was predicted to be 2+ years.)

Depending on how much time your going to spend at Everett you really need to come down and check the place out. There is South/Central/North docks, all have different stuff to offer. We have always been on the South side and it can be a bit "Partyish" in the Summer.

If your up front in the A-Dock area the river can be a pain in the butt sometimes, there is a bit more wind, and the sailboats make a ton of racket in the winds, but the view is amazing.

Attachments

• Moorage Availability 12.2.2020.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Not all boat owners visit their boat on similar schedule nor use their boat for similar reasons / in similar ways. Depending on boat use regularity and other factors; to dock under cover or out in the open can mean a lot of difference as to keeping a boat in good condition. This Covid-19 year really put a damper on our boating during all of 2020; I imagine it did so for many other pleasure boaters.

In our case:

Our fun Tolly and tow behind Crestliner runabout is 100 miles from home, in fresh water and under a floating dock's roof for cover. We use it for long weekends and holidays during spring, summer, fall. That amounts to about 14 times per year [during good years - not so in 2020]. It sits in the water unattended for most of the winter [we may visit a couple times therein just to run engines and wash it off with hose and extension handle brush]. The factor of keeping our boat under a covered roof gives us great leeway regarding no real need to visit [such as the need that would be present if docked in an open slip].

Before purchasing a boat and getting a slip - think it through regarding any items you foresee to keep your boat in good condition. IMO, covered slip added cost pays back many fold regarding reduced maintenance costs and maintenance efforts.

Last edited:
Well, I have a bias on this one. I lost a 36' boat in 2005 due to snow accumulation on the roof of covered moorage in Portland Oregon. My boat was one of several that were lost or damaged when the weight of snow pushed the docks and finger piers under the water. The boats that had cleats pull or lines parts had a lot of damage when the roof lowered onto the flybridges. those whos lines did not part were pulled under by the docks.
Covered moorage is not as dry as you might think anyway if the prevailing winds drive water under the cover and prone to sweating and dripping on cold sunny days. To me it is not worth the expense.

I had a covered slip in a marina (very different that my current covered slip behind my home) here in PC for ten years, and I lived aboard in the marina for two of those years. The entry from the street was walled on the south side with privet entry doors while it was open to the north. Living aboard was quite different than the non-liveaboard owner experience, and there may have been a bit of closed-in feeling from time to time. A quick run out into the bay for maintenance running would solve that.

My boat is under cover and I'm tempted to move it out into the rain. It may not get direct rain or sun under cover but I get a lot of dust, bird droppings and cobwebs.

My home slip is behind my house on Cape Cod, so I have always been outside. This summer I was stuck in Clayton, NY due to Covid and spent the whole summer under a roof. In the hot sun and rain it was a blessing. On nice days I would prefer to be outside. The two drawbacks I see are the fire danger, and the filth. In fresh water we had a serious problem with spiders and spider poop, and the cover is an ideal roosting place for birds, and thus bird poop and feathers.

Sorry, I tried to read all these responses to make sure I didn't repeat anything, but there are too many. Here's my list:

Pro
Easier to work/play above decks. You're in the PNW. It rains all the time.
Less rot, mold, leak, etc. Water is the universal solvent.
Less sun damage. UV radiation eventually eats like, everything.
Covered is cozy. It creates a bit of a dormitory feel.
You can go naked and won't wind up on Google satellite view.

Con
Noisier
Darker
More expensive
If your mast is too tall, you have to lower it, which is a PITA
Birds like to sit in the rafters and poop on your boat.
Greater fire risk (already mentioned).

We have covered and are happy with it. If the sun is out, we just move her out to the service dock at the end of the marina for the day and bring her back to her slip at night.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the excellent input. POE has both types of slip presently available for <36’. I anticipate being aboard 7-10 days a month .., greater than 14 bumps one up to “live aboard” status with significantly increased cost for full time utilization of the amenities. I think I’ll opt for open slip for the reasons listed. The boat may be “dry” at present, but it is uncovered and unwrapped so I already have an appreciation for the implications of exposure to PNW weather. Thanks again to all of you who took the time to reply. Stay well and safe!

Thank you for all of the excellent input. POE has both types of slip presently available for <36’. I anticipate being aboard 7-10 days a month .., greater than 14 bumps one up to “live aboard” status with significantly increased cost for full time utilization of the amenities. I think I’ll opt for open slip for the reasons listed. The boat may be “dry” at present, but it is uncovered and unwrapped so I already have an appreciation for the implications of exposure to PNW weather. Thanks again to all of you who took the time to reply. Stay well and safe!

Purchase two boats... docked in nearby marinas. 14 days on one, 14 days on the other. 15 days can look just like 14 days... especially when you switch week to week per living on one or the other!!

My previous boat was moored in the Port of Everett central docks for 29 years on F dock. I enjoyed it most of the time, however getting in and out of the marina proper when the river is running. You have to crab your way in or out. When we bought our current 38’ Bayliner, the moorage rate at POE was going to be a whole lot more, and I have zero interest at having a slip in the South Marina. As it was, the boat was moored at Dagmars for less than my 32’ open slip at the Port. For the difference in rates I can spend 15 nights a month at the guest docks at the Port.
Both have their trade offs, like everything else. A friend of mine who’s a live aboard was in covered moorage in the central marina and is now in the north marina, and would not go back under cover.

I've tried both open, and covered. Not sure why, but my solar seems to work better in "open".

An added potential benefit to the "tanning" lamp might be too bright for the birds, so they will go elsewhere?? :)

My previous boat was moored in the Port of Everett central docks for 29 years on F dock. I enjoyed it most of the time, however getting in and out of the marina proper when the river is running. You have to crab your way in or out. When we bought our current 38’ Bayliner, the moorage rate at POE was going to be a whole lot more, and I have zero interest at having a slip in the South Marina. As it was, the boat was moored at Dagmars for less than my 32’ open slip at the Port. For the difference in rates I can spend 15 nights a month at the guest docks at the Port.
Both have their trade offs, like everything else. A friend of mine who’s a live aboard was in covered moorage in the central marina and is now in the north marina, and would not go back under cover.

Why the dislike of South Docks?

Back
Top Bottom