Not your average marina contract

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No Mast

Guru
Vessel Name
Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Make
Selene 53
hmm... maybe I've signed many agreements with this in there, but I happened to notice it today as I'm signing an agreement for a slip next weekend in Manhattan.

Looking forward to seeing whats around us when we get there :)

I think we'll look like a tub toy at North Cove Marina

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 195
Wonder if they include drones/quad copter for pictures?

Would think so....no different than a 10,000 pound Sikorski S76 lifting off next to you)....:eek:

Last edited:
I've actually seen that one other time recently and was surprised that was really a problem. Now that I think, I've seen a boat at North Cove with a helicopter aboard, but never seen one land or take off.

Reminds me of the story of the wealthy individual who bought property on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH, then found the local zoning wouldn't allow him to build a pad for his helicopter. So he bought a boat, retro-fitted it with a makeshift pad and kept it on the dock out behind the house.

Actually the issue with real helicopters landing and taking off, is the flying debris damage. Boatpixs brings their helicopter to Ocean City every summer for the White Marlin tournament. One year they set it down in the marina's yard kicking up pebbles and debris which struck several boats. Good thing for them they had insurance. Repairs I'm told ran into 5 figures.

Ted

I frequently fly people out to and back from yachts.
It has become very common place.
Did so 2 weeks ago.
I'm back to get them when they call me when ready to leave their yach in the next 10 to 15 days.
In a slow year I make only 12 to 20 yach landings.
More each year.....now 20 to 30 or more is just normal.

hmm... maybe I've signed many agreements with this in there, but I happened to notice it today as I'm signing an agreement for a slip next weekend in Manhattan.

Sounds like an interesting trip. Send photos!

Thanks for the warning, Harry! I'll make it a point to avoid landing there. :D

img_453534_0_d4e4c04cb7729164e35c01b713d61aab.jpg

The issue is MANHATTAN - several yrs ago after a light plane / helicopter accident - that put both into the Hudson - the restricted flights around Manhattan significantly

If you look in the Ocean Alexander section, you will see a picture of the boat I bought two months ago complete with held opted. The previous owners carried a four person helicopter on the back.

Gordon

The issue is MANHATTAN - several yrs ago after a light plane / helicopter accident - that put both into the Hudson - the restricted flights around Manhattan significantly

And don't overlook the specific location of North Cove.

if you've not been to New York Harbor before, you will be astounded at the amount of helicopter traffic. The volume and frequency of takeoffs and landings is rather stunning.

Attachments

• IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 138
Yesterday, I noticed Attessa IV leave the Marina del Rey harbor just long enough to launch its helicopter. On a previous occassion a big boat was stopped in the main channel while its helicopter was starting up. A harbor patrol boat approached with its lights on, and though I am not sure what was said, the big boat exited the harbor before its helicopter took off. I suspect there is some kind of ordinance against helicopter take-offs / landings in the marina. It may have to do with the marina's close proximity to LAX, but going just outside the harbor doesn't add much distance.

Took the dinghy out Fathers day to look at Attessa IV. What a gorgeous yacht! There was another yacht (comes and goes) in the A basin in MDR that also had a helicopter on deck, but never saw it launch. They cannot be worse than the low flying and very loud Sheriff's helicopters here.

the difference is someone's convenience versus law enforcement?

taking a helo off a vessel is anything but safe to begin with...best done well away from the general public....

Speak of the devil, Attessa IV just sailed past my house. Per my post above, last night at this time, it sailed out to launch its helicopter, then returned shortly thereafter sans helicopter. As shown, no helicopter is attached, so I am thinking it is going back to get its owner. Must be nice.

Attachments

• Attessa.jpg
    Attessa.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 236
I'm sure it is, the owner has two more yachts and a small air force to ferry him around. The Eurocopter aboard that yacht is one of two that take him to the 737.

Nice boat I guess and sure they get a lot of enjoyment from it. I can't figure out the pleasure of cruising on a boat that size. It requires a huge crew. You can't get into most marinas without going to the tender. And being at the helm doesn't seem to me it would feel like you were "driving a boat". They're really like small cruise ships in a way and if you like cruise ships might appeal.

That brings up an interesting question to me. At what size does it stop feeling like boating?

Nice boat I guess and sure they get a lot of enjoyment from it. I can't figure out the pleasure of cruising on a boat that size. It requires a huge crew. You can't get into most marinas without going to the tender. And being at the helm doesn't seem to me it would feel like you were "driving a boat". They're really like small cruise ships in a way and if you like cruise ships might appeal.

That brings up an interesting question to me. At what size does it stop feeling like boating?

At 10 years about 15'... at 25 years about 30'... 45 yrs 60'... 67 yrs 110'... 79.5 yrs 150'... at 89 yrs any size

Last edited:
I fully encourage this type of restriction. Helicopters in my area like to buzz popular and crowded anchorages. Plus we're near an air national guard base and a number of CG stations all fairly close. They are very loud, particularly when flown low.

Why should 100+ boaters paying to stay in the same marina be inconvenienced because one lazy, rich %$#@Q can't take a town car to/from the yacht.

B-in that size range, "boating" as almost all of us know and love is not a part of the equation. The equation is: "I am worth X and every other person I know worth X has one of those, therefore I must also have one. If I really have an ego, I must have two of them." Same goes for the three houses, nine cars, two aircraft, and the third wife, generally under age 30 (but with a strong pre-nup in place!).

B-in that size range, "boating" as almost all of us know and love is not a part of the equation. The equation is: "I am worth X and every other person I know worth X has one of those, therefore I must also have one. If I really have an ego, I must have two of them." Same goes for the three houses, nine cars, two aircraft, and the third wife, generally under age 30 (but with a strong pre-nup in place!).

A friend of mine bought a 120' yacht a few years ago, moving up from his small 60 ish boat. To be honest, I am not sure why he made the change. He is an experienced skipper, starting in sail then moving to power. He enjoys running his boats and does it well. He has lots of money, but I've never felt that he had a need to flaunt it.

I have never been on it but I hear it is really nice, about 20 years old and in great shape. Because of its size he has to keep it farther away from his home or where he liked to keep his prior boat in the summer (Roche Harbor) and he has to have a permanent crew to captain and maintain it. One of the changes there is that you always have "employees" around. Not something I would want. Anyway, his mother made a comment once that while he loves the boat, takes friends, family, business associates out in it, and does a fair amount of cruising, that he may miss having a boat that he can run himself.

Perfect! :D

What about the really important stuff about Altessa? Single or twins? What kind of anchor?

And is it too big to dock at Hopcar's place for Cuban coffee?

It can be but often it's about the use of it. There are people who actually put such boats to use. I have an acquaintance who has a 164' boat and is currently on a circumnavigation. He flew home briefly and was extremely anxious to get back to his boat. Now, this is a real boater. Founded one major boat company, owned another couple later in life and he was never just an owner, always a boater. In his 80's no.

We don't have anything 332' but we are all about using boats. Now, there were those trying hard to convince us of what we needed much larger and we had to just ignore them. There are those who think nothing is any good if it's not Dutch. Others who think it must be steel, you can't cross oceans in anything else.

We've never been aboard a 164' boat. Oh he tried to get us on one and we were scared, knowing what a salesman he could be. However, we've found that where it stops feeling like a boat varies widely between boats. To us one of the keys is speed. A 100' boat at 10-12 knots just doesn't do it. On the other hand a 112' boat that will plane and cruise at 20 knots feels much different. It responds to you.

Still for just fun 30-50' sport boats cruising at 35 knots or center consoles have the feel best. We've done very well resisting a really fast boat.

He claims his 164' feels like a boat and it cruises at 20 knots. It may. i have no idea.

Even saying "feels like a boat", that means something different to all of us.

Most of the very large boats do some chartering. Often they travel with the owner's family but not the owner. That's where all the retired boat owners here have a huge advantage over the megayacht owner who owns a huge business and runs it. We have the time to use our boats. He doesn't.

Have a just retired acquaintance who traded down from a 199' Yacht he used a couple of times a year and never left New England to a 130' boat which he uses regularly and the newfound excitement of him, his wife, his kids and his grandkids is amazing. They can also not get to a lot of places they couldn't before and 80% of the time they're on the bridge.

He did take advantage of the type buyer you mentioned. There was someone at the marina who had always coveted his boat, bought it instantly, and has never stopped talking about now having the bigger boat. He seldom uses it. Mainly at it's home marina for entertaining.

What about the really important stuff about Altessa? Single or twins? What kind of anchor?

And is it too big to dock at Hopcar's place for Cuban coffee?

332' and draft is 15.8'. Speed is 11 knots max, 9.2 knots cruise. Although another site shows 18 and 25 knots. I think that's more right.

2 Wartsila (12V 32E) 6,595hp diesel engines. Sleeps 18 in 10 cabins. Crew of 26. He did save money doing a rebuild. Guess there's a limit even if worth $6 billion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom