New England Moorage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieO.

Guru
Vessel Name
Luna C.
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader 34DC
How much are you paying for moorage in New England? We are getting closer to buying a boat and I am looking at different options for marinas and pricing and what you think the waitlist is at. Thanks for your help!

By moorage do you mean a Mooring Ball? or a slip? It is going to vary by location. Fixed docks, vs floating and how well protected the marina is.

I would start with this:

1) Where do you live?

2) How often will you be going to the boat?

3) How long are you willing to drive?

If I tell you about a great spot on the Ct shore, to then have you tell me you live in Bethel Maine.....well, you get the point.

We are in southern Vermont. Quickest we can get to the coast is about 3hr roughly at Boston. Not really interested in city moorage. We would prefer a slip/ finger pier. Would be weekenders and summers. We considered the upper Hudson or Erie/Champlain canals. Waterford NY is about an hour by road from us, but we'd really like to be on the coast.
Maybe Connecticut to Southern Maine.

Boston - $140/ft summer, $80/ft winter.
Many marinas have price online so search whatever is in commuting range.

Our commuting range would be anywhere from CT to Southern ME. I've scrolled, searched google maps, and all the various aspects of online pricing, just looking for maybe something I may have missed. Location desired will also depend on where we purchase the boat.
Thanks.

Our commuting range would be anywhere from CT to Southern ME. I've scrolled, searched google maps, and all the various aspects of online pricing, just looking for maybe something I may have missed. Location desired will also depend on where we purchase the boat.
Thanks.

Price will vary quite a bit depending on location. Moving a boat within the area you mention is not too difficult, so I wouldn't make boat location a deciding factor. I live in CT and have bought boats in ME and VT. You can save quite a bit of money if you join a private yacht club. Some have slips some have moorings with launch service. Most also have winter storage but it is DIY or hire someone if you need any service, winterization, covering, etc. Some clubs are hard to get into and have long wait line, mine does not and saves me about 50% vs. a marina. There is also a social benefit to belonging to a club and participating in events, trips etc. Many also have a bar/restaurant for members. If I lived in VT, I would keep it on Lake Champlain. Plenty of great boating there and access to almost anywhere you want to go if you plan some longer trips.

Last edited:
If it were me, I’d likely be looking around Warwick, RI area. I expect prices are rising because RI doesn’t tax boats while everywhere else does and corporations are snapping up marinas. However, it’s a relatively easily accessible, central location for access to all of New England cruising.

Price will vary quite a bit depending on location. Moving a boat within the area you mention is not too difficult, so I wouldn't make boat location a deciding factor. I live in CT and have bought boats in ME and VT. You can save quite a bit of money if you join a private yacht club. Some have slips some have moorings with launch service. Most also have winter storage but it is DIY or hire someone if you need any service, winterization, covering, etc. Some clubs are hard to get into and have long wait line, mine does not and saves me about 50% vs. a marina. There is also a social benefit to belonging to a club and participating in events, trips etc. Many also have a bar/restaurant for members. If I lived in VT, I would keep it on Lake Champlain. Plenty of great boating there and access to almost anywhere you want to go if you plan some longer trips.

I have considered Lake Champlain for a variety of reasons, We do love the ocean though and I have family that boats Cape Cod. We have looked into yacht clubs for the reasons you have mentioned. I am mostly a DIY guy anyway, I've been Looking at boats located from Delaware to Maine on the coast and Lake Erie/Champlain. I just don't want to get into too long of a first voyage initially after purchase.

If it were me, I’d likely be looking around Warwick, RI area. I expect prices are rising because RI doesn’t tax boats while everywhere else does and corporations are snapping up marinas. However, it’s a relatively easily accessible, central location for access to all of New England cruising.

We have been leaning towards Rhode Island as a few of the boats we are interested in are located around Providence. I also don't mind somewhere that has an active commercial fleet as far as moorage.

We have been leaning towards Rhode Island as a few of the boats we are interested in are located around Providence. I also don't mind somewhere that has an active commercial fleet as far as moorage.

What type of boat are you looking for? age/size/price/style/motor type/etc

RI rates will be between $100-$150ft+ for a finger slip for the season. Winter storage is approx 50% of summer costs. Obviously amenities, location will impact price. Moorings are much less.

Sorry for stating the obvious, but driving to/from the coast on any summer weekend is a traffic nightmare. Some people tolerate that better than others, but it would drive me crazy and I would not want that to be my normal plan for boating. Just something to consider.

Sorry for stating the obvious, but driving to/from the coast on any summer weekend is a traffic nightmare. Some people tolerate that better than others, but it would drive me crazy and I would not want that to be my normal plan for boating. Just something to consider.

Not usually on issue for us. My day starts by waking up around 4am. Usually we are at the water before other people are leaving their homes. Ideally we'd live closer to the coast but aren't going to do that right now.

You might consider keeping the boat where it is when you buy it even if its not your first choice longer term. A couple benefits are as you mentioned, gives you time to work out any bugs, get comfortable operating and a chance to make it your own. If slips are tight thevseller can sometimes get their slip " grand fathered" and transfer to a buyer. That gives you time to make final decisions and you get to explore an area for a season or two before moving.
I too really like Lk Champlain and think it has a lot to offer. If its closer & convenient it could make initial projects a little easier vs remote. Nothing says you have to stay where ever you start... in fact moving every few years let's you explore areas while keeping cruising distances shorter.

You might consider keeping the boat where it is when you buy it even if its not your first choice longer term. A couple benefits are as you mentioned, gives you time to work out any bugs, get comfortable operating and a chance to make it your own. If slips are tight the seller can sometimes get their slip " grand fathered" and transfer to a buyer. That gives you time to make final decisions and you get to explore an area for a season or two before moving.

Yes, I've been keeping that in consideration as far as keeping the boat where we buy it. It may be easier to try to assume the slip rather than find a new one elsewhere. For us to travel to Burlington on Lake Champlain takes us around 2 1/2 hours, I wouldn't want too be much farther south on the lake than that. We are really looking for a 34' double cabin trawler style with a diesel, but are entertaining other boats too.

If you are thinking weekends, then the location should reflect where you to cruise.

Just wondering are you talking per month? That would be $6400 per month for me.

Per season. Approx May-Oct, then Nov-Apr.

Advantage of Rhode Island

For someone commuting from Vermont on weekends, it would be nice to be sure that the weather will be conducive to boating when you arrive. One advantage of Rhode Island is that Narragansett Bay is well protected from ocean swells so even in relatively poor weather that would keep you in harbor along the unprotected NE coast, you can still boat in Narragansett Bay. No need to worry about Nantucket sleigh rides or fighting the currents of Woods Hole. Lots of interesting harbors and, in fair weather, it's well located as a starting point to visit the Cape or Long Island.

I realize I'm not answering your question but just wanted to put another plug in for Lake Champlain: I just returned to Lake Champlain/Vermont this year after being off the lake/out of state for 7 years. My first "larger" boat (38') was purchased in Buffalo - my wife and I brought it to Lake Champlain via Erie/Champlain Canal - really enjoyed it (history/towns along the Canal etc.). After being on the lake for 6 years, we took the same boat down down south, first to Hilton Head for a few years and then to Niceville (Destin, FL) for about a year before selling it and purchasing our current boat (48' Chris Craft), which we kept in Niceville and then to San Diego for 2 years (live aboard) and back to FL (on a ship) and finally moved it back up to Lake Champlain in June 2021. I'm DONE with salt water...Done with tides/currents/hurricanes/salt water maintenance/corrosion/expensive Florida-coastal insurance/monthly bottom cleanings/anodes maintenance - DONE... While I have many hours of boating experience, I am a fair weather boater (made a bad weather mistake - Gulf of Mexico - schedule/timetable etc.). This may sound strange to some but I like having a boating "Season" forced on me - roughly May-Oct. There are SO many options being on Lake Champlain: NY City (yes, I know - saltwater), Erie Canal, Canada, Great Lakes - all the places in between and on the Lake. We live in northern Vermont, keep my boat in Colchester. Plenty marina's in southern VT or NY, on the lake.
Glad to hear you are getting closer to a purchase. I think our 48' is on the large size for Lake C. - I like the 31' Ranger Tugs - has some of features you mentioned.

Be sure and post what you purchase and where you decided to keep your boat - think it's clear about my preference!

Maine moorage

Midcoast Maine is relatively inexpensive north of Portland. An example is the Dolphin Marina with floating docks if available is in the $3500-4000 range for the season for around d a 36' Boat. They charge a bit more for power. Water is a scarce commodity there though. Robinhood Marina in Georgetown is another great protected spot.

The best deal I have seen is in Boothbay Harbor area at the Linekin Bay Resort. I think when I looked this summer the price for a seasonal mooring was about $2200. That includes launch service use of amenities (pool, docks, kyaks) and there is a great little restaurant there.

Nice thing about this location is it is about 3 hours from Southern VT, location is midcoast Maine so great cruising either north of south . Very near Penobscot Bay and Casco Bay....a lifetime of beautiful Maine Coast cruising.

Very little cruising South of Portland Maine, mostly open ocean.

Good luck,
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36'Grand Banks Classic
Potts Harbor Maine

Lake Champlain was also my first suggestion and where I purchased my current boat. Took her home through the canal, down the Hudson, NYC, and into Long Island Sound. You make lots of valid points about salt water and also as we've both said, you can get to almost anywhere from the Lake. I then realized that the OP never said WHERE in VT he is located, so he could actually be closer to the East Coast than he is to the lake. He seems to be intent on salt water boating which also does have some advantages. But like the old VT surveyor said when he was looking at my boat "I don't know why people boat in salt water. You go for a swim and then have to take a shower!"

My experience is that slip rates for larger boat in RI is very high. $150 to well over $200/ft in more desirable locations. I would also note that slips are in VERY short supply currently. The marinas I'm familiar with have pretty long wait lists. Finding a place to park a 40ft or longer boat has become a real challenge in this area. Do not underestimate how hard it could be. My understanding in following other forums is that South Shore of Boston is also similarly expensive and in short supply. And, as for the Cape, those wait lists are huge and prices easily start well over $200/ft for the season if you can find something.

I am from the Boston. When you say moorage, I think of a mooring. At lest that the thinking around here.

Anyways, I would also look at Yacht Clubs. Much cheap and better than Marinas! I pay $32 a foot for my slip and 16 winter on the hard. Your only problem would be that most Clubs require two sponsors to join. Plus Club have more experienced boaters which provided me with a great education.

I agree with Perspective that slips for boats over 40' are in short supply. Our finger slip just went over $100 per ft this past season. For the first time in 5 yrs our marina was pretty much full. While the cost is not unreasonable we have little for amenities which is fine for us but not for many. There are a few other marinas in our area that are sub $130' but you need to call around. If you are willing to look at upper bay with little amenities you can likely find a spot.

$100 is unhead of in CT. $150 is more the norm. I am also at a yacht club and pay about $35 I think but there are also other membership and club fees on top of that so it's not quite that cheap. But there is free ice, club outings and parties, etc that come with membership. I haven't really bothered doing the math butI figure I am paying about half of nearby marinas. Used to be that clubs had long waiting lists but doesn't seem that way now around here.

Currently in Prime East Greenwich RI. Live in MA. Like RI as many places locally to go to and tax free state. Had prior boat home ported in Cove Haven Barrington RI. Good marina but their chief wrench screwed up my boat so now when we’re in RI just use Hinckley for any service I can’t do. Except now being in Prime used their sub who was good.
Ever since Safe Harbor took over more than half the available slips in RI they set the price. That’s meant a ~30% jump everywhere SH or not SH. We wander and now are concerned about even getting transient slips as demand exceeds supply. Our only saving grace is being retired we,usually can miss looking for berths on weekends.You’re not in that position.Maine might be a better choice for you. If you are willing to go to mid Maine prices should be lower and demand less. Mass has prices similar to RI and if you home port there will likely get hit with tax just like FL.

We pay $185 a foot for a 45' slip (53' LOA boat, but we pay by the length of the slip, not the boat) for docking May 1 to Late October, haul out, pressure wash, block up, and Winter storage. We pay an additional $1000 for 50 amp service at the dock and 2.5% for "Environmental fee" which is just "profit". Our marina is in Hampton Beach, NH, about a mile from the end of Route 101, so a pretty easy ride from southern VT (I'd take 202 east to 89 to 93 to 101).

We are 17 Nautical miles from Rockport, MA, 10 nautical miles from Isles of Shoals, 15 nautical miles from Portsmouth,NH 80 nautical miles from Boothbay, ME and 65 nautical miles from P-Town.

We like the location because there are are countless restaurants/bars in walking distance of our slip, fireworks every Wednesday night in the Summer that we can see from our aft deck (or from less than a mile offshore if we take the boat or dinghy out), at least a dozen places to see live music every night all Summer, we get diesel at wholesale price at the fisherman's co-op across the harbor, and the open ocean is a 5 minute ride from our slip. The downside is that it's a resort town so traffic can be awful if you have to drive anywhere while the beach is busy (we plan car trips carefully in Summer).

Back
Top Bottom