Never a boat owner questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikon

Hi, I am enthralled with Trawlers. So much so that I am not even interested in any other kind of boat. I have never owned a boat.

I searched but could not find the answer to my first question. I added a few others in hopes that someone could answer them also.

In the great lakes area (I am in Milwaukee), when do the slips open and close for the season? If I had a trawler, I would want to cruise in cold weather (starting in March and ending in November). Is this possible in Milwaukee or Port Washington, Sheboygan marinas?

Do some owners cruise down south in the fall to get to warmer weather and then cruise back in the spring? Would it make sense to cruise down south, store for the winter, fly back home and then fly back down in the spring to cruise back to Milwaukee?

Regarding a trawler from 35 to 40 feet:

Can someone provide an estimate cost for:

Slip
In and out transfer to storage
Heated storage
Insurance

Alao, it seems tat almost all trawlers are on the coasts. When I search on Yachtworld, there are very few trawlers available in the great lakes area, especially new.

Thanks in advance.

By the way, my dream boat is a Helmsman 38 Pilothouse.

1) I store in Kenosha. Slips basically open about mid march and they turn off the water mid October.
2) I am not sure I'd want to be on Lake Michigan in March and November. You won't last long if you go overboard. I used to take my wooden sailboat out in November in Chicago, but that was just to keep her soaking in the water. Besides, you get a cold snap and good bye to systems that have not been winterized. (don't ask me how I know, it is too $$ painful of a memory).
3) Call Southport Marina and they will quote you rates for summer. I store at Pugh Marina in Racine, they'll quote you winter rates.
4) cruising south and back again will get darn expensive unless you have something trailerable like a Ranger Tug. Lot cheaper to travel on the highway than via water. Coming back north against the river current burn a ton of fuel.
5) Talk to Mark at Reed Yacht sales in Racine, he has lot of great knowledge

Back
Top Bottom