Most reliable anchor windlass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Windlass

Defender has the Lewmar Pro-Fish 1000 Horizontal Windlass Kit with Rode listed in their Clearance section for $929.99. That's for Windlass, Chain and Rode (200'), Switch and Circuit Breaker. Shipping will add about $75.

Lofrans Tigres

I would have to agree with the Lofrans Tigres fans here. So much so that I have a new one on "Liberty" and the older one for sale.

Why replace? Vanity I guess. Our original Lofrans Tigres was less than 20 years old, but it was the white painted version and some of the paint was peeling. Like I said vanity.

So we replaced it with a new hard anodized silver colored one. Same exact model, just new clothes.

The white one which we removed works perfectly and comes with a new control box and two new foot switches.

I can sell it to you (or to another user) for $1,000. It is in Seattle. I'm happy to safely and securely double box it for shipping, though local pickup would of course be preferred. If we ship, I'd prefer to use your UPS or FedEx account (recommend ground service) but we could use our account and add to the charge.

Let me know if I can help someone with a great windlass.

Marty Oppenheimer
"Liberty"
PT-38 Trawler
about 26,000#

Don't go manual. If money is an issue try to find a not that old used electric windlass, they are around.

Thats a good point. I have a manual and as i am approaching 50 years in age, it starting to get old, lmao.

That said, I am sure you are also considering the install costs which could be expensive. (Even just material such as heavy cables etc.....)

Good luck with the project

A

Another vote for a Lofrans Tigres here on a 37 NT, all chain. Would not want to haul 250' of chain back up manually.

Why can't a regular winch be used like you see on off road trucks or atvs??

I’ve never seen one designed to pull chain. All the off road winch’s I’ve seen are drum only so only however much rode you could fit on the drum which would likely be extremely limited. Plus I highly doubt one would last more than a few years in the salt environment. They do better for mast winches where they are out of most of the salt spray and the drum holds enough to get that job done.

Another vote for Lofrans Tigres. Thumbs down on Vetus.

Here's another vote for the Lofrans Tigres. I installed the Lofrans Tigres on a 35 foot, 21,000 lb boat. It may be a slight overkill, but it sure works well with 250 feet of chain and my 55# Rocna anchor. I would rank the Lofrans Tigres as an outstanding horizontal windlass. It's on sale right now at binnacle.com for $1,899. I bought mine from binnacle.com 8 years ago and paid $200 more than the current sale price. The link is below.

https://us.binnacle.com/p5536/Lofrans-Tigres-Windlass-12-Volt-DC-1500-Watt/product_info.html

I had to fabricate a custom stainless steel base for the Lofrans Tigres to get it to fit over the old hole into the chain locker, but it was well worth it. I've attached a photo of the installation.

The windlass I replaced was a Vetus that was kaput after ~10 years. The motor failed and I couldn't get a replacement from Vetus. I would not recommend a Vetus windlass.

Attachments

• New Lofrans Tigres Windlass - 5.jpg
    New Lofrans Tigres Windlass - 5.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 17
I’ll add my voice to the Tigress chorus. Ours is 15 years old now and never a hiccup. I went through it this winter and found it just about pristine inside. Very strong, durable and easy to maintain. $1899 is an extremely good price!

Ken

Loved our old Plaths! Monster windlasses. First one was 120vac on our 42 GB. Second was a 12vdc on our GB 50. It hauled a 120lb anchor and 350' of 1/2 chain with no problem.

Tator

Shall I pile on?
My windlass is as old as my boat. Installed in (or before) 1980. Well used by previous owners, who took this boat to AK twice before I got her.
One anchorage that, for me, resulted in a fouled anchor, tested the lifting power of this windlass by bringing to the surface a complete car-hauling trailer, so roughly a ton of dead weight. Twenty years later, the old girl was getting weak so I took the motor in to a shop and had it re-wound, for a new lease on life.

A Lofrans Tigres, of course.

It seems like the only thing that ever goes out on our windlasses is the motor, not any of actual windlass mechanics. I've had to replace a motor on two different windlasses, and one soleniod, and nothing else.

Here's another vote for the Lofrans Tigres. I installed the Lofrans Tigres on a 35 foot, 21,000 lb boat. It may be a slight overkill, but it sure works well with 250 feet of chain and my 55# Rocna anchor.

No one ever complained about having to much windlass when needed.
Oversizing is one of the smartest things you can do with ground tackle and retrieval gear IMHO

Yes I searched the website so now I will ask. What is the most reliable anchor windlass in the $1k range? I have a 36 foot 20K # boat. Thank You. :)

Post #1 quoted...the OP is looking in the $1000 price range.

"Whatever hydraulic one that you choose"

Yes,, the hyd does not kill batts, blow fuses and the white smoke never comes out ,when overloaded it simply stops and waits for more hyd pressure or a lower load , no harm done.

I still see boats fitted with IDEAL windlasses , a 1950 and up US made bronze winch that is superb, perhaps you can find a used one.

Back
Top Bottom