Old 06-14-2020, 07:40 PM   #1

City: Cruising North Towards Boston
Vessel Name: Lemon Drops
Vessel Model: 2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
Moorings at Block Island, RI

Hi there,

This is our second season on Long Island Sound and we want to experience Block Island. Dock neighbors have various opinions and most usually raft up in rafts of a dozen or more. We'd like to spend a night or two on a mooring or anchor but would like to hear from those with similar size boats.

How does one get a mooring, and if it is during the week or the weekend - does that change the strategy?

If you were going to anchor alone (no raft) where would agood location be in the great Salt Pond?

BTW, we do have a dink and bikes.

Any information id appreciated.

Thanks,

JimL
jimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #2
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
I don't know if they're doing moorings yet this year or not, but last year, they were $40 I think? You simply called the block island harbor master upon arrival. It's first come first serve. The anchorage is ok, both moorings and Anchorage get really crowded during prime summer weekends.

Previously of "In Sanity" fame. A 40' Mainship from 1981.
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
First come first serve. Just get there early and wait and watch till someone leaves then go grab it. Harbor master will swing by and collect the $$. They also have some private moorings you can rent through them so call to check if there is nothing available.

However last I checked there was no pump out service running so it will limit who is there and for how long.

We are monitoring the situation as we want to go out in August and sept.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Moorings are preferred in GSP. Holding is/was sketchy for anchoring. The docks, at least back in the pre-Covid days were stacked up rafting (not fun in our opinion after visiting friends who had done it), but the Mudslide cocktails were pretty addictive. I kind of liked the scene over on the other side, in the Old Harbor area. But admittedly, my knowledge is 10 years dated.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:52 AM   #5
Guru

We anchor every time we go to Block. I like the cove near "dinghy beach" which is on the east side of the salt pond just where the bottom comes up to 5 or 6 feet.
If you are looking for a town mooring get there early in the day and be prepared to idle around and wait for someone to leave.
After 3 in the afternoon the harbormaster will assign you a private mooring if you call and ask. But you'll have to be off by 10 am.
Some people in our marina were there over the weekend and said it was pretty sparse. I'm sure it will pick up.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:39 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
As you enter the Great Salt Pond, there is a channel that runs right down the middle. There is a deep water anchorage on your port side 20+ feet with a long dinghy ride to the dinghy dock. The private mooring balls are white with blue. They will initially be to stbd and some to port just past the deep water anchorage.

The public mooring balls will be to stbd just past the private mooring balls. Those will be orange or green. They are first come first serve.

The shallower anchorage is to port behind the private mooring balls. There is a decent sized cove back there. Watch depths. As you get close to dinghy beach it gets shallow.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Arrive early on a weekend. As I recall there were a couple of small buoys marking the northern conservation area next to the shallow water anchorage. Do NOT go past the buoys. You will run aground. Anchorage area is well protected, never had a problem.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #8
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
Arrive early on a weekend. As I recall there were a couple of small buoys marking the conservation area next to the shallow water anchorage. Do NOT go past the buoys. You will run aground. Anchorage area is well protected, never had a problem.
Agreed. Be mindful of the no anchoring markers. Some delimit a conservation area (shallow water). Some for areas of tow sports and day sailing, some mooring fields.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:17 PM   #9

Thanks all,

We'll take this all into consideration.

Can anyone provide any information about Three Mile Harbor? We're considering Three Mile Harbor as an alternate based on the wind. Are there mooring balls or an acceptable anchorage? Is there access to shore by dinghy, restaurants and other amenities near by? We have bikes, and just need access for the dinghy.

JimL
Old 06-16-2020, 06:04 AM   #10
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Shrew and J Leonard: Thanks for correcting me on a few issues. The root of my statements were incidences of experienced friends anchoring and then dragging further out in the harbor in peak season, and observations of boats that looked fairly salty, but of unknown captaining skills, also dragging . This happened when storms blew through. So it's good to know things are better if you can find a spot in the locations described. Great detailed local knowledge there!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:06 AM   #11
Guru

From the town website
J
As of June 1, 2020 any transient vessel coming from a state that does not have shelter in place requirements is not required to quarantine. They are allowed at the marinas to dock and are able to get off their vessels. I advise you to contact the private marina before coming over to check with their regulations.

The Town moorings are installed and are available first come first serve, we do not take reservations. Hail the Harbormaster on VHF CH 12 for further assistance.

Pumpout service is operational and available on VHF CH 12.

The public dinghy dock is available.

The Town dock is operational in Old Harbor. Again, we do not take reservations. Hail the Old Harbor Dockmaster on VHF CH 12 for further assistance.

We ask everyone to adhere to the social distancing guidelines and bring a mask with you if you are going to an establishment that may require one.

We look forward to seeing you on the Pond!
Old 06-16-2020, 07:26 AM   #12
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Shrew and J Leonard: Thanks for correcting me on a few issues. The root of my statements were incidences of experienced friends anchoring and then dragging further out in the harbor in peak season, and observations of boats that looked fairly salty, but of unknown captaining skills, also dragging . This happened when storms blew through. So it's good to know things are better if you can find a spot in the locations described. Great detailed local knowledge there!
Dragging is common in the Great Salt Pond, however the holding is actually very good in most spots. Dragging is the result of undersized gear, insufficient scope and not properly setting the anchor.

It's usually very, very crowded. transient moorings are typically difficult to find, though friends tell us in our current covid situation docks and moorings are empty. The anchorage is tight. In order to get proper scope you really need to drop your anchor very close the boat in front of you, then drop back into the spot. Many people drop their anchor too far behind the boat i front of them, then as they drop back, they stop paying out scope because they're getting too close to the boat behind them. What results is insufficient scope. Then when a thunderstorm blows through, all hell breaks loose. Despite this, we only ever anchor.

There is almost always a decent wind out there to begin with.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:33 AM   #13
Guru

I too have heard the harbor has been empty and I am not sure what is open in town. Our intention is to go there in late July mid-week when it is not quite as crazy. Agree on the anchoring, we always try to find a place further away from the crowd, while it may make for a longer dinghy trip the piece of mind factor is better. Thankfully we have a sturdy anchor with 30' of chain which does the trick
Old 06-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimL View Post
Thanks all,

We'll take this all into consideration.

Can anyone provide any information about Three Mile Harbor? We're considering Three Mile Harbor as an alternate based on the wind. Are there mooring balls or an acceptable anchorage? Is there access to shore by dinghy, restaurants and other amenities near by? We have bikes, and just need access for the dinghy.

JimL
Possibly our favorite anchorage.
BEST holding ground that I have found in New England. Nice mud. We usually have to work hard to get our anchor out and cleaned.
There are 3 (IIRC) town moorings.
Not much for amenities or resturants close by, but there are one or two.
There is a town dinghy dock at the end of the harbor. You can bike into town.
Fuel is available as is ice and trash disposal.
That's why we like it nice and quiet.
Killer dinking as well and lots of wild life.
Never very busy except for the Bastille Day fireworks.

Plus Sag Harbor is right around the corner, and Coecles Harbor is also close. So we like to do them together like a mini cruise.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:32 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Dragging is common in the Great Salt Pond, however the holding is actually very good in most spots. Dragging is the result of undersized gear, insufficient scope and not properly setting the anchor.

It's usually very, very crowded. transient moorings are typically difficult to find, though friends tell us in our current covid situation docks and moorings are empty. The anchorage is tight. In order to get proper scope you really need to drop your anchor very close the boat in front of you, then drop back into the spot. Many people drop their anchor too far behind the boat i front of them, then as they drop back, they stop paying out scope because they're getting too close to the boat behind them. What results is insufficient scope. Then when a thunderstorm blows through, all hell breaks loose. Despite this, we only ever anchor.

There is almost always a decent wind out there to begin with.
Shrew is sight on the money with the above. I'll add that if you are in the shallow anchorage area you can see the bottom well enough to make sure you drop the anchor in a clearing not on a grass patch.
That will insure you'll get a good hold.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:34 AM   #16
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
We usually have to work hard to get our anchor out and cleaned.
This seems to be the case with almost everything around the Gardiners Bay area. Coecles Harbor (Cedar Island Cove) and West Neck also have thick mud that turns into cement if you don't clean the chain and deck. Lake Montuak is pretty sandy. We also anchor Sag Harbor Cove however it can get hot back there and you have to pick your days. You also have to know the unmarked channel to get back there.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:54 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
We also anchor Sag Harbor Cove however it can get hot back there and you have to pick your days. You also have to know the unmarked channel to get back there.
For those who don't know that "channel" after you go under the 20 ft highway bridge, take a 90 degree turn 30 to 50 feet after the first red marker. I have never seen less than 5 feet there. Then it drops off to 8 to 12.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:31 PM   #18

This is all REALLY helpful. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and advice.

Jim
Old 06-17-2020, 04:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Waterford CT
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Shannon 36 Voyager
I have been in GSP the past 2 weekends and plan to go back this weekend. We always maximize our trips there prior to July 4th because of the lack of crowds and mooring availability- etc.

The first weekend there were less than a dozen boats on the town moorings. Last weekend was a better weather weekend and it was probably at 50% capacity. Still plenty of green balls. The anchorage was sparsely populated.

The pump out boat is operating and the launch service is starting this week.

Restaurants are slowly opening with SD practices, paper menus etc. The Oar is opening today (Wed). I am looking forward to their sushi this weekend.

Attached pic is from the 2 weeks ago looking toward Paynes Dock after a line of thunderstorms move through.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
BI.jpg  
willpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:38 AM   #20
TF Site Team

Look at the Eastern LI Sound locals!! I'd suggest a rendezvous if not for social distancing. :|