Moorage North of Cape Caution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DC36Monk

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Dream Catcher
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Because of other important life events I'm not going to be able to have 2 1/2 to 3 months straight on the BC coast this summer. So, the new plan is leave Puget Sound third week of May and go north, possibly as far as Prince Rupert (last time was an easy paced ten days) and then come south and leave the boat last week of June and fly back to Seattle. I've thought of Ocean Falls - cheap, but a little flakey, maybe. Anybody have any experience with this, suggestions?

The plan is to go back up mid August and spend another month + coming back down. Or maybe the best plan would be Port Harvey or McNeill, both easy places to leave a boat and easier to fly to. Thoughts?

Because of other important life events I'm not going to be able to have 2 1/2 to 3 months straight on the BC coast this summer. So, the new plan is leave Puget Sound third week of May and go north, possibly as far as Prince Rupert (last time was an easy paced ten days) and then come south and leave the boat last week of June and fly back to Seattle. I've thought of Ocean Falls - cheap, but a little flakey, maybe. Anybody have any experience with this, suggestions?

The plan is to go back up mid August and spend another month + coming back down. Or maybe the best plan would be Port Harvey or McNeill, both easy places to leave a boat and easier to fly to. Thoughts?

You mentioned 3 that would work. Add Shearwater and Sullivan Bay. I would talk to the Harbormaster at both PM and PH. Municipal restrictions can come into play if owner departs at these places.

You could have it hauled in Shearwater, and stored on the hard till your return.

You can't beat Shearwater for your scenario between Cape Caution and Prince Rupert. Easy access with the Bella Bella airport nearby. I'd contact the harbor master in advance to inform him what you have in mind. Seattle boats do this all the time. Further south and equally easy is leaving your boat at Pt. McNeill using the Pt. Hardy airport. There are two flights a day out of Vancouver during the summer to both airports.

Port McNeil-upgraded harbor. Talked to one person with a 52' boat-left it there for 5 weeks with no problems.

When I was at Shearwater it seemed to fill up so if leaving for an extended period hauling might be the way to go.

Shearwater is the only yachty service in the area. But would need to be hauled.

Shearwater is, for the most part, your only option north of Cape Caution. Its about half way up between Cape Caution and the trench. Highly recommend that you coordinate with the Shearwater Marina as they get very busy during the time frame you mention.
Good luck.

Port McNeil-upgraded harbor. Talked to one person with a 52' boat-left it there for 5 weeks with no problems.

Last summer, we found North Island Marina in Port McNeil to be VERY well run. We made two planned/reserved visits for our scheduled vacation, for launch and recovery. We made an unscheduled early-morning visit for the hospital emergency room, and they worked our little boat in. A fuel stop was like a NASCAR pit evolution. During every interaction they were professional and efficient. I would not hesitate to leave my boat in their trust.

Sorry I have no experience further north...

Best Wishes

Jeff

I rafted a 28' boat alongside a livaboard in Prince Rupert for several months.

Back
Top Bottom