Moorage in Baja for next Winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikehar

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gallivant
Vessel Make
Northern Marine 64
We're considering taking the boat down to Mexico next fall (2022). Does anyone have experience or advice on good marinas and moorage in Baja? La Paz? Cabo?

Thanks!
-mike

We're considering taking the boat down to Mexico next fall (2022). Does anyone have experience or advice on good marinas and moorage in Baja? La Paz? Cabo?

Thanks!

-mike
Slim pickings. There are three marinas in Ensenada, one of which (Baja Naval) is not really tenable long term. Next stop for a marina is Cabo 750 nms south which is a full service destination and expensive due to prevalence of well-heeled aport fishers. After that it's either La Paz (I think it's around 150-200 nms from Cabo) or across the SoC to Mazatlan (225 nms?) . La Paz is well known cruiser-friendly destination.

After that, it's back to heavy duty ground tackle for moorage.

Good luck.

Peter

Thanks!
-mike

Mike,
Join the Panama Posse, all kinds of discounts and very informative group. They helped us out last couple of years that we traveled down there.

Cheers,

For 2022 I am planning on the same trip.

I have never been there but am going to go with...

Hotel Coral in Ensenada

Marina De LaPaz in Lapaz

This is based on several conversations with others, not direct observation though.

My goal is to have a slip in La Paz from mid November to around April 1st when the plan is to leave before the northerlies set in for the season, making the uphill run up the coast a bit easier.

The challenge is I do not know if the marina in La Paz fills up. if it does I'm thinking of just pre-paying for those months prior to arrival to insure a slip during the busy months.

Mike,
Join the Panama Posse, all kinds of discounts and very informative group. They helped us out last couple of years that we traveled down there.

Cheers,

Are they just set up for or frequented by folks going South of Mexico?

Are they just set up for or frequented by folks going South of Mexico?

Kevin,

Lots of people that are signed up are in MX pretty much full time. The membership fee you will recoup on your first stay at a marina, just in discounts. 10-20% savings. Just got an email from them and over 150 have already joined for this season. They have discounts for rental cars, Home Depot and many other things. Lots of people join just for the discounts. But the wealth of knowledge for all areas is amazing.

I’m not affiliated with them other than a very happy user during our trip.

Hope that helps, Cheers

Kevin,

Lots of people that are signed up are in MX pretty much full time. The membership fee you will recoup on your first stay at a marina, just in discounts. 10-20% savings. Just got an email from them and over 150 have already joined for this season. They have discounts for rental cars, Home Depot and many other things. Lots of people join just for the discounts. But the wealth of knowledge for all areas is amazing.

I’m not affiliated with them other than a very happy user during our trip.

Hope that helps, Cheers

Very nice, I'll be sure to join up for next season.

Unfortunately I did not make it this season with Covid, ending a 35 year career, and a 30 year marriage, just too much to do and still haver time to enjoy the trip our of Alaska.

As someone who has spent the last 8 years in the Sea of Cortez, I can offer some advice. On the way down, Marina Coral is great, but pricey. They can help you clear into MX at the port Captain's office - very handy. Although, having returned to the USA last august due to Covid, I am heading back down in November and will be giving Baja Naval a try as I stop to clear in.

My next stop after Ensenada is Turtle Bay. You can get fuel if needed (at quite a premium price). Great anchorage to rest and wait out weather when coming North. The next stop is Bahia Satan Maria. Excellent anchorage with no amenities. Then its 24 hours to Los Cabos Marina in San Jose Del Cabo. As stated above, it is a great marina and has a fuel dock. If you visit the Baja-Haha website (Latitude 38) it is the same route that they travel.

From there, I head to Los Muertos for the next night, then you are a day away from either the islands or La Paz itself. The islands are simply gorgeous and amazing to snorkel or hike. My favorite is "the Hook" at Isla San Francisco, but only Monday through Thursday due to noisy party boats.

I have always stayed at Marina De La Paz. It is a great marina with friendly staff and great service. Lot's of liveaboards there, so it is like a neighborhood. I can't wait to return and see my friends. BTW, you can make reservations for Marina De La Paz online. I would suggest making them in the spring before heading down in the fall.

Look me up when you arrive in La Paz. I will be at slip #229. :dance::dance:

Cheers, Bill

Back
Top Bottom