Old 07-05-2018, 03:31 AM   #1

City: Hilton Head Island
Mattress Question

The boat we are looking at comes with a queen mattress. Is there anything special about a boat mattress? We are thinking of changing the mattress to a pillow top that can be bought at mattress store but wonder if we are making a mistake? Any thoughts would be great. Thx.
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:57 AM   #2
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
If the existing mattress has a label that says it's a queen mattress, another with the same dimensions, also a queen (or smaller), should be a fine replacement. Make sure that there's not something unique about the new mattress that prevents it being moved to its new home, through smaller doorways, down ladders, around tight corners, etc. Happy sleeping!
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:31 AM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Usually the biggest issue is getting the mattress though doors and around inside if not a foldable or all foam mattress.

Otherwise measure and buy what you want.

I just bought a mid priced foam matress and like the last one, at the foot of the bed, it isnt rounddd like the pkatform...but only a coupke inches stick over the lip right at the corners.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:19 AM   #4
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post
The boat we are looking at comes with a queen mattress. Is there anything special about a boat mattress? We are thinking of changing the mattress to a pillow top that can be bought at mattress store but wonder if we are making a mistake? Any thoughts would be great. Thx.

Often, a boat-size "queen" mattress isn't really the same horizontal dimensions as a household size "queen" mattress. If your boat mattress is a 60"x80" rectangle, though, probably easy to replace with a household model. You might want materials that don't suck humidity out of the air...

FWIW, we recently looked at new mattresses and that supplier will put a hinge in, if required. In our case (a six-sided "queen") that'd maybe make access to under-mattress storage a bit easier.

-Chris
Old 07-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I had a mattress custom made for a previous boat. They had it made so it would fold in order to get it into the boat. Now I just use a good quality memory foam with another memory foam topper due to arthritis. My berth in the aft cabin has rounded corners at the foot of the bed so I took an electric carving knife and cut the memory foam mattress to the corect shape, very easy to do. You just need to mark the top and bottom of the mattress so that you are making a straight up and down cut. Amazon did not meet their commited delivery date and after I complained they refunded the price of the mattress so it is not only very comfortable but it was free.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Note that new mattresses are often thicker than old ones. Not always an issue, but in some boats there's limited headroom already.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #7
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I use sleep number beds on my boat. The beauty of a sleep number bed is they will easily pass through any door and bend around any corner. Queen up front and king in the master.

The down side is you need space for the pump.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #8
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
I use sleep number beds on my boat. The beauty of a sleep number bed is they will easily pass through any door and bend around any corner. Queen up front and king in the master.

The down side is you need space for the pump.
That's what I'd like -- and we have one of those at home -- but our boat mattress is an odd shape <sigh>...

-Chris
Old 07-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #9
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Try this company. Our purchaser uses them to outfit boats and ships with odd sized berths.

https://www.ablifestyles.net/

If you type custom in the search window it will bring up all the different types of mattresses you can order in custom sizes.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:05 PM   #10

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: La Bella Vita
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
The last 2 boats and soon the new boat we just got we used memory foam. Now they make different softnesses. (Is that even a word?) The last was in a 38' Irwin. Supposedly a queen size, not really. It also had a shape to it, almost like a coffin on each side. We used a 4" queen sized "medium" memory foam for the base and a 4" "soft" memory foam for the top. I used the existing mattress as a pattern and cut the foam with an electric knife. I used a spray adhesive to stick them together. It was the best mattress I ever slept on. I will be doing that again with our new boat. I bought the foam from Overstock.com. Cost me $200 total.

I used a queen size mattress cover and just tucked the extra under the mattress. If I knew how to sew, I would have cut and stitched. Plus to get it on and off the boat, I would roll it and use a few sail ties, maybe 3, then it was easy to handle. They are a bit heavy.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #11

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
We put this stuff under our mattress to ventilate the bottom and keep it drier.
Hypervent Condensation Prevention Matting

Got it at Defender. Roll it out and cut to fit.
https://www.defender.com/product3.js...186&id=1818021

Trying to keep the old one in good shape for as long as we can. We also added a memory form cover/pad. Still cheaper than a new mattress.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #12

City: Hilton Head Island
All thanks for the great info. Mark.
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Queen. Go to IKEA, get latex, get their best pillow top also allergy protected mattress cover. You will be happy sleeping. Takes 3 days for rolled condensed mattress that comes in a small roll to breath in enough air to be comfey.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #14
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Queen. Go to IKEA, get latex, get their best pillow top also allergy protected mattress cover. You will be happy sleeping. Takes 3 days for rolled condensed mattress that comes in a small roll to breath in enough air to be comfey.
plus 1....I did the same...highly recommended
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #15

City: Punta Gorda
We've had no trouble with a regular mattress on the boat.
amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:48 PM   #16

City: Florida
We had a regular Simmons Beautyrest mattress on MOJO for over 14 years with no problems. We have a 4' x 4' "cargo hatch" in the deck so getting a queen aboard isn't a problem. Finally replaced it 3 years ago with a queen 12" "cool plush" memory foam mattress. It was delivered in about a 2' x 2' x 5' box. It sort of "explodes" into shape when opened! Bought it at Sleepy's Mattress Co. for about $800. Very happy with it!
MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote