Marina's in CT on LI Sound?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimL

Vessel Name
Lemon Drops
Vessel Make
2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
We are looking to slip our Mainship aft cabin trawler 430 (twins, but no thrusters) in on the CT side of Long Island Sound for either all or part of next season. We are currently in upstate NY on the Hudson River and want to be closer to the Sound.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a marina that has a pool, and services such as Yanmar, fiberglass and canvas/vinyl repair?

We are looking for a marina that is within 3 hours or so (most are), and that is not directly on a swift river and or tidal current (like we are now).

Appreciate any recommendations or feedback.

Jim

Lots of marinas in Mystic and Stonington, Ct. Or maybe Westerly RI. All very nice locations. Some are classic old boat yards and some fancy marinas. Your choice. All the services you will ever need in that area. That gets you closer to Narragansett Bay, Block Island, Cape Cod, and the Islands. Maybe some of the nicest cruising grounds in the east. Plus the further east you are in LI sound the cleaner the water and the cooler the weather. Tides? They come with the ocean :)

Last edited:
Try Brewer's in Mystic or Mystic River Marina.
I have been boating out of Mystic for almost 30 years. Both of those have pools and are up river enough to have good protection and are downriver of the bridges.
Just don't know the driving distance, might be pushing that 3 hour window.

We kept our boat at Brewers in Essex for a couple of seasons. Both the Dauntless and Essex Island marinas have pools. Drive from Albany is also about 2-1/2 hours.

From Essex you can cruise up the Ct River a bit to Hamburg Cove, a delightful and protected little cove. Or you can head out to the Sound and over to Shelter Island/Greenport/Sag Harbor on LI or a bit further to Block Island.

Mystic has easy access to Fishers Island, Watch Hill, Block and Newport and is about 2-3/4 hours from Albany.

Other marinas to the west of Essex aren't really any closer by car to Albany.

David

We've always been pleased with the various Brewer Marinas throughout New England and that includes those in CT. Can't really say how the acquisition by Safe Harbor is going to impact them though.

There are quite a few benefits too that go along with "Safe Harbor Membership" or annual slip rental. Some are ones Brewer had and some are from Safe Harbor.

In addition to the marinas mentions in Mystic we have had good stays at all of these which have pools:
- Cedar Island (Clinton)
- Branford harbor
- Deep river, Dauntless and Essex Island in Essex

I was a broker at Cedar Island Marina in Clinton back in the late 1980's. The marina is still family owned and operated, the owner is there on site, a lot of the employees have been there for many years. They have a pool and on weekends they have children's activities.
There will be some current but it is not strong.

Marinas in CT on LI Sound

Pilot's Point Marina in Westbrook, CT is a little closer than Mystic - a full service boatyard. They have three yards (North, South and East) on the Patchaug River. The South yard is closest to the pool but it is easy walking distance from the East Yard too. Several restaurants and shopping at two Outlet malls nearby. There is also a West Marine nearby. We were there for 5 years before moving to Cape Cod.

Our experience with Marinas in CT is admittedly limited (we prefer anchoring or moorings), but Norwalk Cove has a great facility and location, excellent boatyard and service providers. No pool, but right by a very nice beach. We enjoyed the few nights we stayed there, and cruising friends made it their summer home.

Norwalk Cove Marina

I do most of my boating in the western Long Island Sound. (Norwalk, Stamford, Manhasset Bay, Oyster Bay, Huntington Bay, etc.) I think that your best bet for a longer term stay would be further east. You can 'hit' areas of interest for overnight stays from the city heading east. For instance staying a couple of nights at Liberty Landing Marina in New York Harbor or dropping an anchor in West Harbor off of Bayville are good spots. There are plenty of stops like that heading east. Staying further out for a longer term will provide many more interesting destinations: Block Island, Rhode Island, Montauk Point, Sag Harbor, etc.
My interest and goal for next season is the Hudson River and Erie Canal. What do they say about greener grass?
Good luck.

Anywhere between Old Saybrook, CT to Westerly, RI will have you in a 3 hr drive. I have no idea what that drive would look like with traffic on a Friday afternoon/evening.

IMHO, that area is a great jumping off point to a lot of desirable destinations (Watch Hill, Newport, RI, Block Island, Montauk, Sag Harbor, Shelter Island, Greenport, Mystic. They've built a transient Marina and moorings in New London and are trying to to turn Bank St into another Mystic.

Crocker's Boatyard in New London will be very protected. Mystic will be protected. Most of the marina's on the Pawcatuck River will deal with current and tide. Spicers Marina in Noank is well protected.

Thread moved from "General Discussion" to "Marinas, Anchorage, Harbors, Slips and Storage"

Our experience with Marinas in CT is admittedly limited (we prefer anchoring or moorings), but Norwalk Cove has a great facility and location, excellent boatyard and service providers. No pool, but right by a very nice beach. We enjoyed the few nights we stayed there, and cruising friends made it their summer home.

Norwalk Cove Marina

Norwalk cove is and was always a frequent destination for us as its about 11 miles at exactly zero degrees from our home port.
Earlier on they had a great deal with the neighboring pool club to utilize that section with pools, snack shacks beaches etc whenever you visited.
Unfortunately hurricane Sandy removed all of those features from existence.

They are great folks there and have a nice facility but it is not as user friendly to remain onsite for days or weeks as it once was.

Smitty477 Northport is by far one of the best destinations in our neck of the woods!

You have a lot of good suggestions so far. I would register for Garmin's Active Captain app for windows, iOS or Androids and go the map and look for marinas in the places mentioned that appeal to you. Then call and check rates.

Winter haul out can be a big part of the overall bill and includes in and out, blocking, storage, winterizing and shrink wrapping. That will easily total $2,000+ for your boat.

Brewers marinas make it possible but not easy to find these costs on line. Download their winter storage and seasonal slip contracts which have the rates.

David

Smitty477 Northport is by far one of the best destinations in our neck of the woods!

Well thank you - we have been here for 30 years or so and like it very much.
If you have been to the Northport town dock you have likely met our daughter who is the dockmaster there.

You have a lot of good suggestions so far. I would register for Garmin's Active Captain app for windows, iOS or Androids and go the map and look for marinas in the places mentioned that appeal to you. Then call and check rates.

Winter haul out can be a big part of the overall bill and includes in and out, blocking, storage, winterizing and shrink wrapping. That will easily total $2,000+ for your boat.

Brewers marinas make it possible but not easy to find these costs on line. Download their winter storage and seasonal slip contracts which have the rates.

David

That is a really good point - we have often scheduled a later fall trip up the Hudson and then wintered at Roundout Yacht basin in Kingston as one option. It is almost exactly 100 miles from Northport NY to RYB and when we time the tides correctly we get there in 6-7 hours. Often we make it a week or longer visiting places and events up the Hudson like the Dutchess county fair and the Renaissance fair - RYB also has a pool and an excellent boat painter and fiberglass person. Prices are about 1/2 that what you would get in LI sound and our last trip allows all your boat systems to be flushed well with fresh water.

I do most of my boating in the western Long Island Sound. (Norwalk, Stamford, Manhasset Bay, Oyster Bay, Huntington Bay, etc.) I think that your best bet for a longer term stay would be further east. You can 'hit' areas of interest for overnight stays from the city heading east. For instance staying a couple of nights at Liberty Landing Marina in New York Harbor or dropping an anchor in West Harbor off of Bayville are good spots. There are plenty of stops like that heading east. Staying further out for a longer term will provide many more interesting destinations: Block Island, Rhode Island, Montauk Point, Sag Harbor, etc.
My interest and goal for next season is the Hudson River and Erie Canal. What do they say about greener grass?
Good luck.

Several years ago, we purchased our trawler on Seneca Lake and travelled via the Erie Canal over 29 locks to our current marina. 29 locks and 230 miles. This past summer we experienced Lake Champlain - beautiful even with 13 locks in each direction. We are looking for water cleaner / clearer than the Hudson. Trying something new.... Good luck!

Smitty, Good to hear from you. Thanks for the tips you provided a few years ago.

All, these are all good recommendations. I have stayed at some of these marinas before (Norwalk Cove, Cedar Island, etc...)

I am looking on my chart and tides app, a chart book, the internet and the maps program checking them all out on this spectacular fall day (sarcasm). I also called several of the marinas and most will close on or by next weekend. I'm hoping to check a few out next weekend.

Thanks

Jim

I was just at Guilford Yacht Club overnight and was very impressed with the facility. You can have your boat hauled and stored at the parking lot if you are the Dyi type

Spicer’s Marina in Noank, CT, does not have a swimming pool but it would hit all of your other buttons including a fabulous Yanmar certified shop. Really nice condition docks, reasonable prices, very protected yet you’re on the Sound behind Fishers Island in five minutes.

A nice hidden Marina is up the Connecticut River: Chrisholm near Chester and Haddam, CT. Very nice grounds, nice people, low prices. Downside is it’s quite a trip down the river to get to the Sound but it’s a very nice trip.

I think I have been to every Brewers Marina in the Sound. They are all very nice With great service and beautiful grounds with everything you want. They are literally double or triple the price of these others.

Essex Island is perhaps one of the nicest marinas out there in terms of scenery, the town, and amenities. Slips on the River have current, around back do not. The Shipyard is there too and costs a touch less. Brewers can coordinate just about any repair. They are known to be a little more costly, but also have a reputation for good work. For winterization there is the option of going up the River a bit- forget the name of the place. Somewhere in Portland I think, maybe Perzols. The staff at Safe Harbors is the same as the staff at brewers, and are wonderful people. The ride from Albany is easy too, you just pick up Route 9 off I91 south.

For winterization there is the option of going up the River a bit- forget the name of the place. Somewhere in Portland I think, maybe Perzols

It's Petzol's and they are Silverton and ex Mainship/dealers.
Also I store at Yankee Boatyard, also in Portland.
Portland Boat Works and Riverside are also Portland options.

I think I have been to every Brewers Marina in the Sound.

This is the convergence of 3 sounds (Long Island Sound, Block Island Sound, Fishers Island Sound). Get just East of Block Island and you're in Rhode Island Sound.

Referring to "The Sound" is a little vague in this area and would have locals scratching their heads.

Marina on Connecticut side of lis

My wife and I went through a similar experience. We live in central New Jersey. We sailed Long Island sound and islands for 35 years before moving to a power boat. Want a drive of 2 1/2 to 3 hours and a a marina that had amenities. For many reasons we decided that Essex island marina fit the best. There is current but is managed, well protected. Lots of grass and no cars.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom