Marina or Shipyard recommendation, Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

REAL MOUNTIE

Vessel Name
REAL MOUNTIE
Vessel Make
1986 PILGRIM 40 HULL No 28
Dear Trawler Forum members.

I would appreciate any suggestions for a yard in Florida that permits to stay on board for a period of time

I am planning our return from the Bahamas to Port St-Lucie or Fort Pierce.

I need to have our vessel hauled-out for insurance survey and storage with straps for hurricane season.

I would like to have a shipyard or Marina that would permit me to stay on board for the period of preparing the boat for seasonal storage until next fall.

Here are my expectations:

Located in Florida;
Location closed to train station (Amtrack) for return to and from Canada;
Must allow me to stay on board for maintenance, wood varnish and preparation for storage and next season haul-out;
Fair competitive pricing;
Appropriate yard security in appropriate neighborhood.

Your suggestions and recommendations are welcome!

Thank you for your help!

Kindest regards! Normand

no need to worry about a marina if you plan on taking Amtrak..... :eek:

Just kidding.... Cracker Boy is often spoke of by the regulars here in FT Pierce.

Less expensive is I believe Indiantown (not totally sure) which is inland from Stuart. Lots go there too.

Indiantown

Call Indiantown Marina about the type of work you intend to do. They allow all types of DIY in the field areas, but only non-messy work ?? on the pavement, where there is electric available.
The marina is inland fron the Port St Lucie lock, and is about 20' above sea level. Many boats use them as a hurricane pull-out. They are relatively cheap, too.
We aer on the hard there now, splashing in a month or so, when our house is empty and on the market.
Hope this helps.

Thank you for your help!

Call Indiantown Marina about the type of work you intend to do. They allow all types of DIY in the field areas, but only non-messy work ?? on the pavement, where there is electric available.
The marina is inland fron the Port St Lucie lock, and is about 20' above sea level. Many boats use them as a hurricane pull-out. They are relatively cheap, too.
We aer on the hard there now, splashing in a month or so, when our house is empty and on the market.
Hope this helps.

Hello John,

Thank you for your kind advice. Unfortunatly, due to my wife illness. I have decided to return to Lake Champlain, NY in order to benefit the season and to be close to the Canadian border. My wife will no longer be able to travel for periods longer than 21 days.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/e...I&ll=39.74309242120479,-74.11670918353877&z=8

Once again than you for your help!

Kindest regards, Normand

Last edited:
Hello John,

Thank you for your kind advice. Unfortunatly, due to my wife illness. I have decided to return to Lake Champlain, NY in order to benefit the season and to be close to the Canadian border. My wife will no longer be able to travel for periods longer than 21 days.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/e...I&ll=39.74309242120479,-74.11670918353877&z=8

Kindest regards, Normand

Sorry to hear about your wife’s illness. I hope that things improve for her.

River Forest Yachting Center just to the west of Stuart on the Okeechobee is a full service yard and storage facility. They also have weekly transient slips. The nearest Amtrak station is in Okeechobee, about 30 miles away.

On the west side of Lake Okeechobee towards LaBelle is another RFYC facility as well as the Glades Boat Storage which is a much cheaper facility and does long term storage. They are definitely a DIY yard but also will do bottom jobs. The nearest Amtrak station is in Ft Myers, about 25 miles away.

Enterprise will pick you up at either the Stuart or the LaBelle locations.

David

Hello John,

Kindest regards, Normand

I'm curious what yard you will use up there, Shelburne? Depending on where in Canada you need to get to, the yards in Brewerton NY (EssKay, Winter Harbor, etc) are options.

Back
Top Bottom