Live a board marina in Key West

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
Greetings All-
For an exercise in cool dream ideas for several years down the road I'm interested in options to keep our Sundeck in the Keys during the winter months. Cost is a consideration. We (the Admiral) might consider this, possibly keeping her there year round (the boat). Any experience/ thoughts/ ideas??

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Steve and Patricia, we recently spent a month at Stock Island Marina in a Key West. Wonderful marina, great staff and an amazing boating community. Keep in mind that your insurance will be higher if you spend hurricane season in Florida however summer is the BEST time to enjoy the Keys.

Dotty aboard Cool Beans

Thanks Dotty!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Steve and Patricia, we recently spent a month at Stock Island Marina in a Key West. Wonderful marina, great staff and an amazing boating community. Keep in mind that your insurance will be higher if you spend hurricane season in Florida however summer is the BEST time to enjoy the Keys.

Dotty aboard Cool Beans

That's the new marina , correct? If so it looks great, I visited on my dink one day. I was on KW . My question which is important to any body considering this Marina without a car. How did you make out with ground transportation?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Yes, this is the new marina on Stock Island. The marina offers free van transportation to the grocery store and downtown Key West several times a day. You can also bicycle to department stores, grocery stores and West Marine is right around the corner. Stock Island Marina has a beautiful captains lounge with a huge TV, two fenced dog parks and raised bed garden plots available to boaters. I highly recommend as an alternate to busy Key West Bight.

Key West marinas are expensive. One reasonably priced one is the Naval marina at Boca Chica, but you have to be ex or active military.

For a reasonable place to stay year round, consider the moorings at Boot Key Harbor in Marathon. I think they run about $300 per month. Lots of people leave there boats on the moorings year round. Then when you come down, head up to Key West for a week or so and stay at one of the expensive marinas in Key West Bight. Close to Duval St, Mallory Square and the cruisers/bohemian joints at the Bight.

David

I stayed in KW of and on for a total of about two weeks. Spent a few on anchor near the Bight, dinking into town. Splurged a few days and stayed on A and B dock, that was a fun dock crowd and of course walkable into Duval. Burned out on that after a few days. Credi card was smouldering. Stayed a few nights in Garrison Bight. Much cheaper there, but not as much fun. Bike-able anywhere.

Stock Island sounds like something to look into. I have not been there recently to see what they've done. A courtesy car a couple times a week, and bikes and dink would make it doable. Anyone know the cost?

The City of Key West also has moorings at Garrion Bight which is an easy bike ride or long walk into Key West downtown. Stay at least a month in Key West if you can! Key West has some wonderful festivals and museums in addition to the diving and fishing. Consider a side trip out to the Dry Tortugas and/ or the Marquases. Enjoy!

Stock Island marina is $23 a foot for monthly plus electric. Diesel is $3.53 a gallon and I believe there is a discount if you dock there. Check out their website stockislandmarina.com

Does anyone know if the moorings at Garrison Bight will take a 52 footer? Any other moorings that may take a boat that size? Thanks and sorry if I am high jacking...

Is the $23 a foot year around or "off season" or "in season"?

The moorings at Garrison Bight belong to The City of a Key West. Their web sight would give you additional info about vessel size.
I believe the Stock Island Marina price is year round. Again, Check their web site for details.

If staying at the new marina on Stock Island. You have about a 20 minute dink ride (on plane) via Cow Key Channel and your at the KW Harbor downtown. The first 1/4 mile is exposed
on the Atlantic side so you may get a few days when you might be inclined to use the shuttle.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Lots of great info. Thanks all?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom