Legacy Harbour Marina, Ft. Myers, is destroyed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FBoykin

Vessel Name
Hannah Jane
Vessel Make
2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
My home marina - Legacy Harbour Marina - is gone. Destroyed by Hurricane Ian late this Wednesday afternoon. Outer dock D failed and rest succumbed to wind and waves. My lovely Grand Banks 42 Classic, Hannah Jane, is in a pile of boats pushed up into a corner where the Edison Sailing Center has a small dock. There is 5 feet of water over First Street and winds forecast to blow hard for another day. I think this will end my big boat days.

Sorry to hear about your boat. Hopefully your insurance will have it covered. The good news is that you’re safe and well - please keep it that way.

I am so sorry! This is just awful for you and so many! My thoughts and prayers are with you all!

Greetings,
Mr. FB. You're alive! This is a GOOD thing.

iu

So sorry to hear this news. Glad you are safe. Our thoughts are with you.

I’m so sorry! We spent 2 of the last 3 winters there on B dock. I’m heartbroken for all our friends there.

This is very sad news, hopefully you can recover in some way.

My home marina - Legacy Harbour Marina - is gone. Destroyed by Hurricane Ian late this Wednesday afternoon. Outer dock D failed and rest succumbed to wind and waves. My lovely Grand Banks 42 Classic, Hannah Jane, is in a pile of boats pushed up into a corner where the Edison Sailing Center has a small dock. There is 5 feet of water over First Street and winds forecast to blow hard for another day. I think this will end my big boat days.

Very sorry to hear. We spent June/July '21 there at Legacy Harbour, great place, hope they can recover over time.

You're safe, that counts!

-Chris

I've seen a few pictures from this on Facebook. I'm sorry to hear your boat was involved, the damage looks really bad.

So sorry for the loss of your fine GB. But RTF is right. You are alive!!

Amazing! That was a heavy duty concerte floating dock with large concrete pilings.IMG_0870.JPG
View attachment 132467

Last edited:
Amazing! That was a heavy duty concerte floating dock with large concrete pilings.

They weren't too tall, though. I posted a "before" pic in the other Ian thread...

-Chris

Our hearts go out to all of our boater friends that were at Legacy. We spent the first part of last season there and hope everyone is safe.

As others have said, the pictures are shocking. Our hearts go out to you.

Sorry to hear. Hope you and others stay with TF. There's always tomorrow.

Terrible news for you and many others. My heart goes out to you, buddy. Continue to be careful and have many enjoyable days in your future - on any kind of boat!

So sorry for your loss. Our hearts go out to everyone there. We were just there on our boat in May and are broken hearted to see all the damage. Take good care.

I’m watching the Weather Channel and they were showing Legacy Marina. In the picture was Hannah Jane. So sad to lose a beautiful boat like that. As a prior GB 46 owner I can truly feel the pain.

I think this will end my big boat days.

Fboykin:

Such a beautiful boat, your Grand Banks. Perhaps the damage will be minimal enough that your big boat days don't have to be over.

But, I also understand that some events can make us see our boats from a completely different perspective (thinking of Dave - Wayfarer - here). I can only imagine your worry and concern as Hurricane Ian rolled into Fort Myers.

And downsizing isn't so bad. If you have room to store a trailerable boat, there are many options.

Warm Regards,
Mrs. Trombley

Greetings,
Ms. MT. Excellent post! Life goes on to new adventure. A veritable PLETHORA of options. Our memories are in our hearts. Our future is in our dreams.

iu

Last edited:
It's a very sad situation. Every hurricane, when I pull out for my hurricane hole, at the slightest hint of a hurricane, my harbor master always says the same thing, "You have insurance, what are you worried about?" And, I say, "You don't understand. I really like my boat."

They become part of us. Almost like a family member.

This is a very sad week for many people. I lived through Sandy. As bad as your situation is , you are safe and that’s what counts.

My lovely Grand Banks 42 Classic, Hannah Jane, is in a pile of boats pushed up into a corner where the Edison Sailing Center has a small dock.

Just saw a photo of your beautiful Hannah Jane on the NPR website - painful. I am so sorry.

Sorry for the loss and everyone else's loss. I saw a before photo of the marina and the pilings didn’t look very tall.

NYT article includes a picture of Hannah Jane et al.

https://nyti.ms/3Rqel6G

As a guy who's house in Madeira Beach had an NHC 'M' over it Monday night, I feel for the OPs loss. Could have been me.

Best wishes for whatever the future holds.

Peter Screenshot_20220930-112259_NYTimes.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom