Leaving a Trawler in the Caribbean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraniteStater

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Rossiter Coastal Cruiser
I know a number of people who leave their sailboats in the Caribbean year round and then fly down for weeks at a time to go sailing. They tell me that depending on the location its about 75% cheaper than leaving their boats in the Bahamas. These are sizable sailboats in the 40 to 50 foot range.

That said, I don't know anyone with a trawler or powerboat who does this (other than people who leave small boats in the Bahamas when they have a house or condo there).

Popular places seem to be easter Puerto Rico, the BVIs, St Maarten, Grenada.

Anyway, does anyone know people who does this with their trawlers? Is there a reason only sailors would do this? It seems like an ideal solution. I've found one marina that would charge me $1400/month and that would include their airing the boat out once a week, checking on critical systems monthly etc. They also have the ability to haul out boats for all named storms. That doesn't seem as expensive as I would have though.

Thanks

We had friends that left their Krogens in Trinidad, Grenada and St Thomas. The hard part was having reputable boat sitters because “island time” comes into
play plus security.

Edit: Check with your insurance company. Most US underwriters require your boat to be no further north than the marinas at the south end of Grenada. We had a friend who left his boat in Marina Puerto del Ray, Puerto Rico with no insurance and lost the bet with the weather.

Last edited:
Have left my prior boat in the southern bays of Grenada and St. Lucia for prolonged trips home (Xmas/new year, spring break). As said the big deal is yacht management and associated yard. You need to spend the time to carefully vet the management company and the individuals involved. Unfortunately the best way to do this is to be there, know the island well and have close relationships with the cruising community that cruises that island. Word of mouth is very important and distant vetting is problematic.
We’ve had good success with Clark’s in lower Woburn,Grenada and Gary of Clark’s and Georgetown. Also with IGY in St.Lucia. However we had been cruising the windwards for years before making these relationships. Things change year to year so who’s good one year may not be the next.
So unless you have a trawler and the time to actually go there and do the due diligence I think you’re taking a risk. As an aside requirements vary widely between insurance companies as to what they will accept as a arrangement in your absence. Close friend keeps his boat in Sopers,BVI. We looked at that. At the time had pananeous (not pananeous US but the parent company). The jump in premium and the expense of the requirements made that choice untenable. On the other hand Concepts Special Risk for Clark’s was easy peasy.

Interesting thoughts here. I’m tempted to cruise the Caribbean in a few years but leaving a boat there is a thought. I looked at some of these marinas suggested. I see IGY has many marinas around - would keeping one there under their care be safe and reliable?

I left my trawler 50ft Cheoy Lee in St Maarten (Dutch side) for 4 years and in Virgin Gorda (BVI) for 3 years. Had pretty good service, apart from Launch dates. They never seem to want to paint the bottom till you arrive.

Will say also looked at Spanish Town, Saba, PR, USVI and others. Part of the decision is how you use the boat. If it’s fly down a few times a year and use it for a few days or weeks you might want to only think about a berthing island that’s in the group of islands you like best. If it’s for hurricane season Southern Grenada/Trinidad is best. If it’s going into charter service it depends upon the target charterers. For instance if it’s a large captained boat aimed at European charterers high end may be St. Barts. Middle of the road might be Le Marin. For North Americans Sopers or Spanish town . Lots of variables where, wet or dry, use pattern etc.

Back
Top Bottom