Kingcome Inlet BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't imagine towing out of Slingsby on the ebb, the effects of that water draining out of Belize can create big waves for at least a mile off the entrance. In that general area Miles inlet is one of our favorite anchorages on the coast. Another plus is spring fishing off Buccleugh.

Slingsby isn't bad. Like anywhere, just needs respect and local knowledge. Rarely need to tow through there anyway.

Some years ago on a night tow through Nakwakto, tug lost power just as he committed and throttled up at Tremble Is. He cut the boom loose which went sideways, hung up and bust up, keeping the beachcombers busy for two weeks.

Skipper dropped the hook but got flushed right on down until it caught in the shallows at the bottom of Schooner.

We came out of Miles early one morning in the fog, there was a tug and tow between Mcewan rock and the shore. It was totally unexpected and took awhile to resolve it on the radar. Sometimes things just aren't what you expect or make sense.

We came out of Miles early one morning in the fog, there was a tug and tow between Mcewan rock and the shore. It was totally unexpected and took awhile to resolve it on the radar. Sometimes things just aren't what you expect or make sense.
Are they required to have AIS and contact with "Traffic?"

You are disturbed why? I am wondering if tugs with rafts are required. Why does this bother you? Gezz man lighten up.

Why does this bother you?
Well…
It bothers me that someone who puts themselves out there as being a seasoned, all knowing boater and BC expert, doesn’t know the answer to such a rudimentary question.

It bothers me that someone who spends so much time dredging up all sorts of superfluous stuff, wouldn’t be up on Regs and basic aids.

It’s like having to ask what a day beacon is.

It would be easy to give you the answer or link you to it, but I believe you should do your own digging on this one. You might learn something else while you're at it.

Well…
It bothers me that someone who puts themselves out there as being a seasoned, all knowing boater and BC expert, doesn’t know the answer to such a rudimentary question.

It bothers me that someone who spends so much time dredging up all sorts of superfluous stuff, wouldn’t be up on Regs and basic aids.

It’s like having to ask what a day beacon is.

It would be easy to give you the answer or link you to it, but I believe you should do your own digging on this one. You might learn something else while you're at it.

Well I am no expert, so I ask questions. Sorry they offend you so much, but I really don't care if they do or not. Soin2la you need to calm down and enjoy life a little.

Excuse me for trying to educate myself, so I can become a better mariner. :dance:

Last edited:
I am sure that Soin2la enjoys life, but sometime DEET is not powerful enough.

Last edited:
Don’t assume all tugs with tows will be on AIS. Some of the small independent operators are not on AIS. I encountered a tug with tow crossing my bow during my first steam in pea-soup fog in Wells Passage. He was the stand-on vessel but the second target on the radar moved along with the first and I was trying to figure out what was going on. It was a bit of a pucker moment! And he was not on AIS. All was revealed when he loomed out of the fog. Since that event, I often hear VTS announce when a tug with tow are not on AIS, but then you have to listen to VTS channel to know.

I went through Nakwakto last May and it was fine both in and out, but I went through at slack. It’s a fairly short transit and so it was not particularly challenging and there was no traffic. There was a “Fathom Element” that was completely destroyed going back and forth in the mixer known as Nanahlmai Lagoon. I have no idea how that situation developed. There used to be a link to it on the web but I can’t find it anymore.

We spent 10 days in Seymour, Belize and Alison Sound. We saw two other recreational boats while there.

Jim

Hi Waterford,

If you're still interested in Kingcome, you might want to read Two Wolves at the Dawn of Time by Judith Williams. Ms. Williams describes the creation of the giant circa-1998 pictograph at the head of the inlet, as well as providing additional photographs of older pictographs on the cliff below. In addition, her book provides an excellent look at the late 19th and early 20th century history of Kingcome inlet and its inhabitants.

A good read, and the pictographs are a treasure!

I last visited in ~2008, and found suitable anchorage in Belleisle Sound. And yup, it's a fair hike to head of Kingcome Inlet. I'd love to wrangle an invitation to visit the village.

Regards,

Pete

Back
Top Bottom