Is it just me - haul out fees are crazy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikentosh

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Shimmy Shimmy
Vessel Make
Gulfstar
I can't believe I have to drop $2k to paint the bottom of my 36ft trawler in Southeast Florida (palm beach).

I tried the DIY route and it's pretty much the same cost, at least here in Palm Beach, FL and I really don't want to do the job.

Between the haul out and block and storage costs and massive expensive for paint, I am over $2k !!!

Love to hear what you pay to do your job and where, maybe I will go for a cruise and save some money.

Last edited:
Our haul, bottom wash and launch are part of the winter storage that costs us $1400 per winter. Blocking the boat is included. Last bottom job I did they brought the boat to our house and blocked it on the driveway and reblocked it after we painted the bottom so we could paint the spots under the first blocks. They didn’t charge me any more for doing that, just part of the storage.

Similar cost for us for haul and winter. If we want it painted it’s around $1200.
If we need to haul and relaunch due to other work it’s $500. So $2000k for haul paint and launch is not excessive

I was in the yard in October for over a month. The cost for just the haulout, paint, labor and prep work was probably approaching $2K, but for a 45' boat and double coating the sides, transom and a few bare spots.

Ted

Haulout, pressure wash, blocking and first month storage is under $800. I buy my own paint and paint it myself. About 1 gal per coat. SWFL in Port Charlotte. Call it 4 travel days west of Stuart.

I even would have been around 2200 if I just painted.but I’m triple that and been there two month I hope I learned a lesson . Project creep is real

Professional boat maintenance repair/maintenance costs about $120 or more an hour, per person, leastwise here. Doesn't take long for costs to rise. My last maintenance/repair was about the same price of the state use tax for a new boat.

Haul/block/2 coats paint - 37ft - Jacksonville, FL - $1500

Here in Nanaimo, BC where I haul, they charge $425 for hauling, blocking, and launching (based on a 40 foot boat), and $160 storage fees for the 1 st week (less if you splash sooner and $40 per day if longer) on the hard. Included in this fee is the use of their pressure washer (DYI) or you can pay $2 per foot for them to do it.

It is a DYI friendly yard but they offer various services. For example, they charge $160 per coat to apply bottom paint on a 40 -45 foot boat.

So, to have them do the bottom (haul, block, PW, and paint) on a 40 foot boat it is $985 Can. (plus paint) or about $200 US :) (really about $745 US plus tax plus paint) as long as you are ready within one week of haulout. It is a busy yard so it is best to book ahead.

675.00 for haul , wash and block. I own the land it ‘s on, so no time limit. I paint myself
$400.00 for paint, 100.00 zincs .

I need to show around before the next haul out

Looks like this really is just a geography issue. I just think it's unreasonable to pay so much for such a simple manual labor job that any low wage person can do. Here paint alone is over $600 per gallon, primer is $100 and that's just one coat. I think I need to hit the gym get in better shape and do this myself :)

We just got our bill for this winter. Haul, powerwash, winterization of both heads, both A/C units, galley, wash down hoses, aft deck ice maker, both engines, genset, blocking, jackstands, storage Oct through April, $2,400. Shrink wrap bill comes separately, that's another $650.

At our local marina a 30' boat would be $425 for haul out, yard storage is $125 month winter or $225 month summer. For a quick scrub/paint/go it would be $25.00 a day for blocking and storage.

Canadian dollars.

Think the limit for boat size is 40'.

“I just think it's unreasonable to pay so much for such a simple manual labor job that any low wage person can do.”

Miken, maybe your answer is in your own quote!

Professional boat maintenance repair/maintenance costs about $120 or more an hour, per person, leastwise here. Doesn't take long for costs to rise.

They can see you coming
3x what I pay here and some of the best workers I have used

Here paint alone is over $600 per gallon, primer is $100 and that's just one coat. )

2.6 gallons of Carboline Sea Barrier or Jotun Sea Guardian is about $400 here

$6oo per gallon

"Here paint alone is over $600 per gallon, primer is $100 and that's just one coat." ... WOW, I thought $260 per gallon(Micron Extra) was steep!

$5k in Bay Area. Micron 66 and prop speed.

$600/gal ??? Holy cow! I thought Micron CRC prices were insane. That's just robbery.

Here in Nanaimo, BC where I haul, they charge $425 for hauling, blocking, and launching (based on a 40 foot boat), and $160 storage fees for the 1 st week (less if you splash sooner and $40 per day if longer) on the hard. Included in this fee is the use of their pressure washer (DYI) or you can pay $2 per foot for them to do it.

It is a DYI friendly yard but they offer various services. For example, they charge $160 per coat to apply bottom paint on a 40 -45 foot boat.

So, to have them do the bottom (haul, block, PW, and paint) on a 40 foot boat it is $985 Can. (plus paint) or about $200 US :) (really about $745 US plus tax plus paint) as long as you are ready within one week of haulout. It is a busy yard so it is best to book ahead.

Firehoser, what boat yard are you referring to? I'm up in your neck of the woods.

I'm in the PNW and use yards that cater to commercial fishing. They have my number and call me to fill a slow time for the yard. They give me a date and time and I'm there. My 83' boat usually costs about $1500 for the haulout and a pressure wash. I buy my paint, zincs, etc., online. If I just went to any yard and they did the work, supplied the paint, it's about $10-12 grand.

I'm in the PNW and use yards that cater to commercial fishing. They have my number and call me to fill a slow time for the yard. They give me a date and time and I'm there. My 83' boat usually costs about $1500 for the haulout and a pressure wash. I buy my paint, zincs, etc., online. If I just went to any yard and they did the work, supplied the paint, it's about $10-12 grand.

Interesteing - that's in Oregon, Salish Sea, or further north?

I just paid €2.500 in Holland for 76' in/out and pressure wash, hard stand storage time charged extra. They charge haulout by weight.

I say we make all create a not-for-profit trawler yard. For DIY or labor. Who's got some land and money?

Just had ours done Thanksgiving week call it $1800 all in- $675 Haul out, pressure wash, block + $1100 pole sand bottom & paint with NON-copper Pedit Hydrocoat Blue bottom paint. Work was done in Oxford, MD northern part of Chesapeake.

Last edited:
Looks like this really is just a geography issue.
Yep. EVERYTHING costs more in the Dade/Broward area than it does anywhere else in Florida. And most especially, everything boat-related costs a LOT more.

Better luck next time.

Guys, (and Ladies?): Keep in mind environmental costs and liability insurance. I recall that one of ourTF members lost a Nordhavn either dropped off slings or fell off blocks, but either way a total loss. These costs are factored in so $1500 to block a $600K boat sounds about right.

If you can afford to have someone else pressure wash your bottom, sand your bottom, paint your bottom. You obviously have money, and can afford boating.

As commented earlier “anyone can do it”. Well if your cheap, on a budget or lazy! This is one job that any idiot can do to save money, so why would you complain of the cost. Get out of your helm chair and lay under your boat for a day.
It’s probably the cheapest maintenance item you have to do on your boat and probably the most important!
My boat shed backs on to the travel lift and I like my front row seat to watch these characters come in. I get a kick out of watching the yachties in there attire stepping off there boat like it’s a valet service. And I here call me when it’s done, ha ha ha.
As you look at there chrome plated anchor that has only seen the darkness of the card board box it came out of.

"idiots" need to be careful on the sanding and painting. This areated sanding dust is an environmental hazard, likely qualifies as a hazard substance or hazardous waste. In either case, most "idiots" don't have the tools to properly control this waste. Also, they may not have the protective gear for their own lungs - ,may need an N95 or better mask for this stuff. So, while anyone can do it - I painted a sail boat with copper paint while I drank a few Schlitz beers 40 years ago - felt great!

"idiots" need to be careful on the sanding and painting. This areated sanding dust is an environmental hazard, likely qualifies as a hazard substance or hazardous waste. In either case, most "idiots" don't have the tools to properly control this waste. Also, they may not have the protective gear for their own lungs - ,may need an N95 or better mask for this stuff. So, while anyone can do it - I painted a sail boat with copper paint while I drank a few Schlitz beers 40 years ago - felt great!

Back in my early twenties there was an old-timer industrial painter who frequented the same neighbourhood pub as me. He would buy a beer for his non-existent friend at his table, talk to him all night, and would get really upset if an actual in-the-flesh person sat in the same chair as his buddy. Pretty sure he scoffed at masks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom