Is it just me - haul out fees are crazy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This year, for the first time, the YC has recommended reading the instructions on the paint! On the paint I use, those instructions suggest letting it dry for longer than I have ever done, ie overnight, before splashing, and then hauling only for a wash after one year, and maybe again after two. That extra time would at least double my lifter expense.
I have to haul to access the zincs at least annually, so I have always washed and painted at that time. Usually the barnacles on the running gear are the only real problem, but the hull gets painted too. I have tried painting, not painting, Petit cold galvanizing paint, regular bottom paint, and anything else that has been suggested to me. Nothing so far has been successful against the barnacles, since the changes in paint formulas.

A friend using the same bottom paint as I, has done the wash only, for the past two years, saving the cost of 2 gal of Micron CSC twice over my cost, and paying for a shorter lift time. We can get a 4 hr, 8 hr, 12 hr or 24 hr. I usually take 12, he has done his in 4 the past 2 times. about $100 x each 4 hrs, plus $100 for power wash and site cleanup.

This is only my second time using Micron, so time will tell. I used Petit Horizon for a few years, and before that, Bottomcoat and other cheaper paints. Way back, when copper was a prime ingredient, I used XXX successfully for many years. Even on running gear. Weren't Those the days!!!

Yard charges are up here too. Do I like it-no. Can I do much about it-no.

Pollution regs have changed things a lot. No longer can one just sand blithely away sending dust all over the place.
Oddly other boat owners don't appreciate the dust all over their boats. You won't appreciate the cleaning bill either if that dust stains their boat.

Pressure washing must be done on a grate where the wash water is collected and the residue dealt with. No longer can one just shove/drain it directly into the ocean.

Where a lot of yards used to use a gravel lot for the actual boat stationing now the whole yard must be paved and often fenced to keep try to reduce the midnight shoppers. Some of them have a guard wandering around.

A lot of yards have closed because condominiums took them over because taxes and unfriendly city halls drove them out. THat means fewer yards so less choice.

In my case, my preferred yard, depending on what needs to be done, is a two hour trip and can be done in some fairly rough weather whereas the other yards I go to are 4+ hrs and if the weather is bad I can't get to them safely
[ will no longer ignore weather reports ].

All in my yard charges are around the $2,000 mark but have been much higher depending upon what needs doing.

I no longer do my own bottom painting but hire it out. They do that while I do other things that need doing while out. Otherwise the time out just keeps adding up and yard charges themselves are not inconsiderable. I will also admit that I find I can no longer work the long hours without to many repercussions.

Definitely check around but also ask others in your marina how those yards treat them.

Last edited:
I can't believe I have to drop $2k to paint the bottom of my 36ft trawler in Southeast Florida (palm beach).

I tried the DIY route and it's pretty much the same cost, at least here in Palm Beach, FL and I really don't want to do the job.

Between the haul out and block and storage costs and massive expensive for paint, I am over $2k !!!

Love to hear what you pay to do your job and where, maybe I will go for a cruise and save some money.

I’m in Maryland on the bay & that’s about right. $1600 for a 42’. Gonna cost a lot more next year as I’ll need a soda blast!

Many yards won't let you do work below the waterline. And frankly, I don't think the risk to your lungs of doing your own bottom paint is worth it.

I've found the best tactic is to use a good enough paint (and two coats) so you only haul and paint every 2nd year. If you're in a low fouling area 3 years is possible.

With climate change, in the water winter storage seems possible in more places. On Cape Cod my yard charges half the storage cost to store in the water as on land - and there's obviously no hauling/blocking/launch charge. They have bubblers to limit the ice but I doubt it would get thick enough these days to do any damage in this area.

I've decided to pay the $2k which will likely be higher once we see other issues like blistering. Going for better paint too. This yard does not require insurance which is good since I can't find insurance for this boat. The lowest cost I found for insurance is over $3k. In the meantime, I put it for sale on this site too.

I hate these threads. People always respond with seems like outlandishly low numbers that are nowhere near what I paid. Makes me feel like a chump. Of course, I'm the guy who always needs zincs, line cutters, and other stuff that stacks the bill.

Peter

DIY Yard,

St. Mary's boat service ( Rockies )
ST. Mary's GA - Just north of Jacksonville.

$800 - Haul out, pressure wash, block and set, relaunch

$2 / ft. / Month space rental

They give discount on all parts ordered

DIY- you do all work your self.

DIY yards in some parts of the country are drying up. SF Bay is getting scarce. Berkeley Marine where I hauled 2 years ago only had a few DIY spaces. Most yards had none.

Peter

In 2018, we paid almost $4,000 for a bottom job on our 48' trawler. After the borders open, our plan is to head to the Rio Dulce for a bottom job and other work we need.

In 2018, we paid almost $4,000 for a bottom job on our 48' trawler. After the borders open, our plan is to head to the Rio Dulce for a bottom job and other work we need.
Advise you post a new thread here and on CruiserForum before headed to Rio. After spending over a year in Ensenada which is only 2 hours from San Diego. Challenge isn't the big stuff, it's all the little stuff. Hoses, clamps, pumps, fittings, through hulls, SS fasteners, sealants, specialty fittings, etc.

People often say you must be a task-master as a project manager, implying that foreign yards will take advantage of an absentee owner. Perhaps true, but bigger issue is the people working on boats have zero experience using them in a manner we do.

Cheap labor is great, but it's only part of the challenge - less than half. Logistics are a very large hurdle. At least that's my experience. And Ensenada is just a couple hours from San Diego where I can drop ship stuff from Amazon, Defender, McMaster, Hodges, Fishery Supply, Newfound Metals, and a couple dozen other suppliers. There's even a Home Depot in Ensenada. I cannot imagine trying to do the same work in Guatemala but that's just me.

Good luck

Peter

We are in North Vancouver BC .Our club has a tidal grid .For our boat (4788 Bayliner)
we pay about 150.00 to haul boat ,pressure wash and painting (one coat ) is $190.00 and we supply the paint .We use Micron which is about $275.00 gallon on sale and we use 1.5 gallons .All figures in canadian dollars.

I've decided to pay the $2k which will likely be higher once we see other issues like blistering. Going for better paint too. This yard does not require insurance which is good since I can't find insurance for this boat. The lowest cost I found for insurance is over $3k. In the meantime, I put it for sale on this site too.

Drifting off subject but you mentioned you can't find (don't have) insurance for your Gulfstream. I am looking for insurance for my 20th century bucket of bolts. Actually liability only which I understand is the minimum to dock at a marina. Understandable/reasonable. Do you use marinas? If so, how so without insurance?

Thanks, Friz

I needed primer and two coats of anti fowling

My marina offered wet slip , dry in barn or outside in a working yard ,
I was a IN/Out Stored in a cradle outside
Since boat was stored outside in yard part of my service was 14 days in the DIY area of yard , no additional charge , only additional fee was few bucks for blocking and putting tarp under boat.
I attempted too go the route of hiring my own labor , buying paint .
turned out too be a fiasco. Meter was ticking and after 14 days trying too save a few bucks , Said the hell with it , Paid the $ 100 a foot the marina charged ,
Included power washing bottom , bottom never painted and painter said he sanded bottom , primer 2 coats anti fowling
Every marina I called also charged around the same except I had too pay haul out ,
Marina painter independent contractor ,
I paid marina they paid him this way if I had any issues ( which I did ) I got satisfaction from marina
Painter had a crew and within 3 days primer, 2 coats boat was done ,
Not crazy paying 100 foot , found short cuts that if I was painting would have not been done but its crap work and glad marina did it for me

Most years I keep my boat in the water, as I live on the water (canal). The boat is normally short-hauled for bottom paint and sometimes prop tune ups when needed (annually for the most part). The cost was always around $1,000 to $1,200 (not including the prop tune ups)

The times I had it hauled for the winter usually coincided with a major maintenance or upgrade project performed by the yard. So I never really had been given a cost just for winter haul and storage, until this year. We are keep our boat next season at a marina out east Long Island, trying something new. Of course the marina asked if we wanted to keep the boat there this winter, which I considered, until I saw the estimate. Many marinas I am finding do not allow DIY. So the estimated cost for haul, block, winterization, etc. was over $10,000. I'm finding that this is in line with most full service marinas in the Tri-State area. That does include all parts, labor, etc. and on the plus side it is a turn key service. The marina is about 90 miles from my home, so I'll cruise out there in the spring.

The yard that performs my engine services is great, very professional. But expensive as well. The bill notes every screw, even the drip pans used as a billable item.

Are these prices exuberant? Not sure.

I just received cost to haul and splash my Willard 36 in Ensenada. She's about to get splashed and I figure there's a better than 50:50 chance she'll need a quick haul in a month or two after engine, electronics, generator, and such are fired up.

Haul, splash, and one lay day is $360 for her, so $10/ft in my size range. Lay days are $1/ft/day.

I’m in Milford CT - my local yard charges $35.00/ft for winter storage - includes haul, pressure wash, and of course re-launch in spring. I priced out sanding/painting the bottom last season - $20.00/ft to bring it down to to gel coat with one coat of paint - almost worth it as absolute worst job in my opinion of over 20 year boat ownership is doing the bottom...I still did it myself. Three coats of Barrier at $120.00/gal along with a mid range bottom paint at $150.00/gal - no cheap way out...good luck.

I can't believe I have to drop $2k to paint the bottom of my 36ft trawler in Southeast Florida (palm beach).

I tried the DIY route and it's pretty much the same cost, at least here in Palm Beach, FL and I really don't want to do the job.

Between the haul out and block and storage costs and massive expensive for paint, I am over $2k !!!

Love to hear what you pay to do your job and where, maybe I will go for a cruise and save some money.

Check at Crackerboy Boat Works in Riviera beach, right behind Peanut Island?? Here is their recommended bottom painters or, it's a DIY yard if you want to have a go:
Alao’s: 561-667-4314
Blake Hylton: 561-714-6179
J&L Boatworks: 561-714-3037
Phan Yacht Refinishing: 954-629-4620

Just splashed back in last Tuesday in Oceanside, CA. $2300.00 painted with Interlux Ultra.

Attachments

• Terapaint1.jpg
    Terapaint1.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 25
Drifting off subject but you mentioned you can't find (don't have) insurance for your Gulfstream. I am looking for insurance for my 20th century bucket of bolts. Actually liability only which I understand is the minimum to dock at a marina. Understandable/reasonable. Do you use marinas? If so, how so without insurance?

Thanks, Friz

I'm on a mooring and when I travel i can typically find marinas that dont require insurance or just stay on the hook.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom