Old 10-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #21

City: Bohemia
boat in storage

I agree with many of these posts. If the price reflexed a very good deal, I would have a "certified" mechanic start the engines, both the main and the genny. I would assume he or she would know the proper procedure required. Then a survey in and out of the water. Then, as long as you get a great deal, go for it. Diesel engines are pretty tough and fiberglass is fiberglass. Just plan on having things go wrong. Fresh water pump, some wiring, maybe some fixtures, check ports for leaks, the usual stuff. Go with your brain and not your heart. (easy for me to say, it's your money)
chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #22
Guru

City: gulf coast
presuming some unknown person knows the best way to wake up stored engines is a real stretch. Then again the different results of proper wake up or just starting them will probably not be known for a long time.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #23

City: Bohemia
storage

Why would you say that? IMO, unless the engine parts are rusted internally, there has to be a way to start an engine properly after a few years. You have steel, steel and more steel against some brass or copper bearings. The rings are also metal. Maybe the injectors are toast? That's why a certified mechanic should be consulted in this matter. I have started a diesel engine after it was submerged in salt water. I followed a procedure recommended to me by a Yanmar mechanic. The engine ran fine after I got all the water out of the engine. I ran that engine for 5 more years, sold the boat and they ran it for 7 more years and then they changed out the engine rather than rebuild it. It started loosing compression. I'm not an expert, but I think an engine that was sitting for 5 years, properly stored in the first place, should be OK. Again, just my opinion, for what it's worth.
chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:13 AM   #24
FF
Guru

I'm not an expert, but I think an engine that was sitting for 5 years, properly stored in the first place, should be OK. Again, just my opinion,

That of course , properly stored in the first place,is the question.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #25

City: Cheboygan
Vessel Name: Porte-Bonheur
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Thanks for all of your inputs. They are very interesting and helpful.

If I make an offer on the boat it would definitely be contingent on a full boat survey, a mechanical survey and successful sea trial. Now I just have to decide what I am willing to pay for the boat given all the potential problems downstream.

Thanks everyone!
Whalerdon is offline   Reply With Quote