Home with bulkhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mricehole

Looking to buy a home with bulkhead big enough for 50ft trawler on or close to ICW in North Carolina, Maryland, Delaware or NJ. Budget about 500k. Don’t want condo or townhouse. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Looking to buy a home with bulkhead big enough for 50ft trawler on or close to ICW in North Carolina, Maryland, Delaware or NJ. Budget about 500k. Don’t want condo or townhouse. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck. You're price range seems a bit low.

I went through a similar buying process about ten years ago but we only needed a 35' dock for our boat. We looked at the Annapolis area, Solomons, the Eastern Shore, the area between the Potomac and the York River and finally the town of Oriental in NC.

What we found was the following using $500K a a base for a house in Oriental and all others of similar quality:

Annapolis $700K
Eastern Shore $650
Solomons $650
Potomac/York R $600
Oriental $500K

We bought a place in Oriental for about $500K. It since flooded and we had to sell at a substantial loss. The hurricane that flooded it (Irene) and the subsequent slightly higher surge hurricane (Florence) depressed all home values including ones that didn't flood. I don't think the same thing happened in Md and Va.

Today even with some inflation you can buy a nice water front house in Oriental for $500K. You will have to be careful about dock space since almost all docks are 40' or less and even though your property limits may allow it, you will have to get a permit to lengthen it and that might be a problem.

In looking at any water front home, whether in Oriental, Md or Va make sure that the floor of the house is at least 11' above the mean water line (current Oriental building code) and preferably greater to allow for sea level rising and higher strength hurricanes. Florence hit about 9.5' in Oriental.

I would be happy to discuss my experience in greater detail if you will PM me with your phone number.

David

I have found the "SLOSH Map 2" to be very helpful in vetting potential locations for their sensitivty to flooding. It is an interactive tool that you can vary by the potential intensity of storm and then see what the affects might be. Here is a link to that tool...
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nationalsurge/

You can also view tools which have the historical likelihood of storms and/or major storms hitting a potential area of interest. Those can also be combined with tools to review past history of red tides, average home and car insurance rates, and other data which may apply to areas of interest.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. You might consider buying property or a knock-down and building your own structure BUT I have no idea of prices, either for land or putting up a building. A possible option?????

Have you looked into the area in and around New Bern, NC? There are numerous neighborhoods where you can dock your boat in your backyard.

We have a second home there, in a waterfront neighborhood called Fairfield Harbour. It was developed in the 1970s, originally as a retirement community, but it's turned out to be attractive to younger families too. I think you'll find it meets your criteria. Hundreds of deep-draft boats are tied up behind owners' homes there. It's a pretty good "hurricane hole". Via the Neuse River, we have access to the NC sounds and the Atlantic. We've had up to a 42' sailboat there, and currently keep a 34' Mainship Pilot.

There are plenty of waterfront homes under 500K. Ours is a modest 3 bedroom "California Ranch" style, built in the 80's, with about 110' of canal waterfront. But there are many larger/newer homes on the water too.

Just be sure to study the surveys and flood elevations. Many homes were built on low-lying areas that may flood during hurricanes. Ours has never flooded, though it came awfully close during the record-breaking floods of Hurricane Florence.

For example, this one appears to be on good elevation:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6006-Cardinal-Dr-New-Bern-NC-28560/78293069_zpid/

Good luck, and enjoy the search! Happy to answer any other questions.
Tom Richards
M/V Island Time

Just be sure to study the surveys and flood elevations. Many homes were built on low-lying areas that may flood during hurricanes.

Also check to see whether the property part of the FEMA re-zone of the flood maps. Many properties that were not previously considered part of the flood zone were re-zoned in the past few years. That makes the property difficult or expensive to insure.

Back
Top Bottom