Help Choosing in the Florida Panhandle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishing Fool

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Living Waters
Vessel Make
36' Grand Banks Classic
The Admiral and I would like to take our GB Trawler from Clearwater to visit our daughter at FSU in Tallahassee. Looking for suggestions for a marina between Carrabelle & Panacea where we could stay for a week. We've looked at Active Captain but wanted some other opinions. Anyone out there have any???

Closest to your 'nole (who I'm sure is a wonderful person like almost all seminoles) is Sheilds marina in St. Marks. It's a wonderful facility, very clean and well run, though there are some ratty boats there. The river is well marked and there is plenty of water to get your boat in there. St. Marks is about 1/2 hour from campus. It's a funky little town with some fun stuff to do. Not many good boating destinations close to it though.

There isn't much in Panacea. The one marina there has changed hands a number of times and is really run down, the docks are not in good shape.

Alligator Point marina is decent, though Alligator Point is pretty remote. Pretty good beaches there, easy approach. They don't get many transients.

Two good choices in Carrabelle, C-Quarters and the Moorings. I prefer C-Quarters. Their docks are nicer and their rates are a little lower. Moorings is more popular, though I'm not sure why. Both are nice marinas with good service. Carrabelle is about an hour and 15 minute drive from FSU's breathtaking campus. Many great anchorages close to Carrabelle as well.

Wifey B: I'd either go Carabelle or a bit further to Apalachicola. :D

Sorry, I can't resist. I love the place. Other than Active Captain? I don't know any marinas in the area that aren't on AC. :ermm:

Thanks everyone for the input, although its a day or two late LOL.

We headed up from Clearwater to Cedar Key on the first day and decided to go on ahead to Steinhatchee and spend the night at Sea Hags. That was a LONG day for me running the boat from 2:30 am until 7:30 pm, but I was wired for the trip and I made it easily. Then we crossed over to Carrabelle and stopped at C Quarters. The people at C Quarters were REALLY nice and helpful and went out of their way for anything and everything. We left there and we are now at the Water Street Hotel & Marina in Apalachicola because they have a pool. Having a pool was #1 priority on the Admiral's list! Now she's happy!

Our daughter will just have to drive farther to see us, but she likes pools too!

This little town has lots of character and charm and tons of shops and things to see and do, its quite surprising.

I'm thinking that when our vacation time is over next week, I might cross directly over from Apalachicola to around Crystal River. (we have friends there that want to see our boat) We had to dodge so many shallow places around Cedar Key and Steinhatchee it was crazy. If I ever go up to the Panhandle area again, I think I would cross over instead of do this trip again, just too many worries about the shallows and the charts aren't always correct.

Last edited:
We left there and we are now at the Water Street Hotel & Marina in Apalachicola because they have a pool. Having a pool was #1 priority on the Admiral's list! Now she's happy!

Our daughter will just have to drive farther to see us, but she likes pools too!

This little town has lots of character and charm and tons of shops and things to see and do, its quite surprising.

Wifey B: I knew Bing and Bob would get you with Apalachicola. :rofl: Oh, I love that place. :D

If any of your family likes art, then do go check out the studios and artists there. You can get so up close and personal and they're just marvelous.

Now I'm just singing away.

We're on our way to Apalachicola, F.L.A.
Magnolia trees in blossom and a pretty southern gal
It's better than the orange groves in Cucamonga, Cal.
We're gonna stay along the Apalachicola Bay
We'll stop in Ochlockonee for some hominy grits
We'll go to Tallahassee if the weather permits
We're on our way to Apalachicola, F.L.A.

:dance::dance::dance:

Good choice, Apalach is wonderful.

If you have good weather it is easier to cross straight over. If it is blowing, especially from the N/NE hanging close in and managing the shallows is the way to go. It's surprisingly comfortable doing it that way, even up to about 25 knots from the NE. But you gotta pay attention to where you are going.

You know....if she went to FAU, you would have much better boating options !!

Go Owls !!

We have many in our extended family who have or are attending FAU. However, I am not at all on board with them hiring Lane Kiffin so my "Go Owls" is more a whisper.

I'm thinking that when our vacation time is over next week, I might cross directly over from Apalachicola to around Crystal River. (we have friends there that want to see our boat) We had to dodge so many shallow places around Cedar Key and Steinhatchee it was crazy. If I ever go up to the Panhandle area again, I think I would cross over instead of do this trip again, just too many worries about the shallows and the charts aren't always correct.

Crossing from Apalachicola to CR is an easy shot. If you get over this way shoot me a PM and I can give you some guidance in the area for marinas.

We have many in our extended family who have or are attending FAU. However, I am not at all on board with them hiring Lane Kiffin so my "Go Owls" is more a whisper.

I was graduating just as they were making their big push into football, and I wasn't all that crazy about the idea. At least they took Barry Kaye's name off the Business School !!

I was graduating just as they were making their big push into football, and I wasn't all that crazy about the idea. At least they took Barry Kaye's name off the Business School !!

One day cities and schools will learn not to name streets or buildings after people.

The Admiral and I would like to take our GB Trawler from Clearwater to visit our daughter at FSU in Tallahassee. Looking for suggestions for a marina between Carrabelle & Panacea where we could stay for a week. We've looked at Active Captain but wanted some other opinions. Anyone out there have any???

I keep my boat @ Shields in St Marks.

Nothing but good things to say across the board. They have a few slips on the river(easy in/easy out) vs in the back. I wish they had floating docks but otherwise its easy going.

If you end up there shoot me a PM.

Whoops.. Didn't read. Welcome to Tallahassee though.

Sure K9medic, I was going to look on Active Captain, but I'd love some local knowledge too of Crystal River. I draw at least 4 feet with my keel, but prefer a little more

Sure K9medic, I was going to look on Active Captain, but I'd love some local knowledge too of Crystal River. I draw at least 4 feet with my keel, but prefer a little more

I draw 3'6" and have never had an issue. My slipmate draws 5' and prefers to wait until a rising tide at Shell Island.

Check active captain under my name to see some routes

Back
Top Bottom