Old 01-14-2022, 12:39 PM   #1

City: West coast
GenSet etiquette while anchoring

Whatís the commonly accepted manners in running generators in the evening or morning in the more popular coves in British Columbia? Hours? Etc.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Start at 8AM, stop at 10PM

There will be those that will say, never run your generator crowd. Sorry I am an electric boat need genny.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:44 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
When the sun goes down the Genset should go off. Generally most Gensets turn off after dinner which ranges from 6pm to 8pm. There is of course no actual rule and if one wants to run their genset all night they do have that right.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:45 PM   #4
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
It depends somewhat on where you are, what's around you, how quiet your generator is from the outside, etc.

Mine is louder from inside the boat than outside (and I hate listening to it), so I run it when I need it and no more. Usually at anchor that comes to 45 - 60 minutes in the evening to cook dinner and warm up the water heater for showers. If it's cloudy / rainy and we haven't moved that day, then it may get run a bit more.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:18 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
We don't anchor a great deal. However, when not at a dock, we run our Generators 24/7. We have sound shield. Our generator is quiet. It is necessary to keep things comfortable and to keep frozen and refrigerated goods well.

We never anchor close to other boats but if other anchor close to us then we still run the generator. Northern Lights with Sound Shield on a well insulated and quiet boat just are not an issue.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:22 PM   #6
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
If I come in an anchorage with sail boats, I'll often dinghy up and just ask them if they mind. Never had an issue. Run for the evening meal and good for the night.
My fridge keeps things solid frozen for at least 18 hours, so no worry, but have enough battery power to run them.

Now, if it's really freezing or super hot out there, I'll run the gen for heat or AC.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:50 PM   #7

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We don't anchor a great deal. However, when not at a dock, we run our Generators 24/7. We have sound shield. Our generator is quiet. It is necessary to keep things comfortable and to keep frozen and refrigerated goods well.

We never anchor close to other boats but if other anchor close to us then we still run the generator. Northern Lights with Sound Shield on a well insulated and quiet boat just are not an issue.
I’m still thinking it’s an issue in some of these small coves, even if just as a matter of principle. My boat too is about as quiet as you can get but there’s still some noise from the wet exhaust. I agree it shouldn’t be offensive to anyone based on dB’s, but why bother anyone?

I can handle the dinner and breakfast hour only, mentioned earlier . I’m diesel heat too which helps.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:56 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
If in an anchorage or tied to a lock wall with other boats nearby I make it a point to visit and talk to nearby neighbors while my Gen is running for evening meal / coffee and ask it they mind if I start it up early AM for coffee.
Most often they ask how noisy it is and I inform them it is running now. Most will say they don't even hear it or if that's the extent no problem at all.
It seems the demonstration makes their response quick & easy with no hesitation. I am guessing that if it wasn't running they might be more reluctant to say OK.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In construction)
Our old boat didn't have a generator and the inverter was not a true sine wave generator. Our espresso machine's electronics didn't like the inverter power so we bought a portable generator. Basically, we had a gasoline powered espresso machine. On cold, icy mornings, I had to climb to the boat deck with an extension cord and fire up the generator for my espresso and my wife's cappuccino. We only ran it long enough for coffee but I always felt bad about the noise. Going without my morning jolt was not an option.
Doug_Snider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:29 PM   #10

City: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Miss Maui
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
That’s a great way to handle this.
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:41 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
In BC, it is all about courtesy.
The sunset rule is a good one, though late summer sees the sun go down too early for some with all electric galleys, so the 10pm rule is more likely to be applied. In the morning, even the all electric galley boats usually wait until they see their non gen neighbours are awake rather than waking them.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:44 PM   #12
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
The answer can be influenced by whether there's an inverter in the mix... or not. Given a decent inverter installation and sufficient battery capacity, early morning coffee and Happy Hour hors d'oeuvres can be pretty quiet.

-Chris
Old 01-14-2022, 03:06 PM   #13
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Courtesy is the rule.

There are the never types and the 24/7 types. Neither will satisfy everyone as compromise is the only tool that works unless..... your gonna never annoys anyone. If you can hear it at all out to the distance of the closest boat....you may wins up annoying someone.

But then again... if I anchor well away from others and some Yahoo anchors 50 yards from me in a wide open area... I am not too worried sbout disturbing them.

You never can go wrong with the sunup to sundown rule (within tolerances of really short days)...if you need genset for coffee or late night TV..... there are alternatives and no excuses.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:43 PM   #14
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
In the PNW morning light comes early - for many as early as 4AM around the summer solstice. Boat motors often start about then as anchors are hoisted making quite a racket and crowding out any genset noise. But when to start and stop one's genset is really more about, nearby vessels, where you are and weather. If there are few if any boats around and rain and wind are pummeling us the genset operates as needed.

I've been in many anchorages where large commercial vessel gensets are running 24/7 to keep the ice chilled and fish cold. But in the many filled WA and BC anchorages and placid quiet weather, sure don't be the first in the AM if you're going to stay another day.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:43 PM   #15
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

Unless you are running AC, requiring the genset to run 24/7 is indicative of a poorly designed DC system.

Whether it is "just not an issue" depends a lot on context. In a crowded anchorage with a lot of ambient noise (genset and otherwise) maybe not an issue. In a completely silent isolated cove in mid BC with one or two other boats, your NL with Sound Shield and well insulated generator is very audible to everyone there. Some people are simply insensitive to noise, or like it - play the stereo all the time etc. Others might be in that remote anchorage to enjoy the silence.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:13 PM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
Unless you are running AC, requiring the genset to run 24/7 is indicative of a poorly designed DC system.

Whether it is "just not an issue" depends a lot on context. In a crowded anchorage with a lot of ambient noise (genset and otherwise) maybe not an issue. In a completely silent isolated cove in mid BC with one or two other boats, your NL with Sound Shield and well insulated generator is very audible to everyone there. Some people are simply insensitive to noise, or like it - play the stereo all the time etc. Others might be in that remote anchorage to enjoy the silence.
We don't pull in on top of other boats and if they pull on top of us, we can't help it. Our Gen will be running when they arrive. We do run our A/C system for heat or air or dehumidification all the time.

As to issues, never been near a group of sailboats that were noise free.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:11 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I run my generator when my boat needs AC power that the inverter cannot supply.

It is a NL unit in a sound shield and can barely be heard outside the boat or inside for that matter.

I'm not being a jerk, I'm just not going to let others dictate how I operate my boat.

That said I avoid anchoring close to others whenever possible, and I do not care if others in an anchorage run their generators

What are we going to do next... Not grill food because someone else might become offended?
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:32 AM   #18

City: Lafayette, CA
Vessel Name: Esprit
Vessel Model: 40' Tollycraft tricabin diesel
I'd be more FAR more conservative than the 8am-10PM. I hate it when someone is running their generator in the evening. I'd say shut it down by 6PM unless you absolutely need it to cook. We only run ours mid-day. Many of us relish the silence of a quiet anchorage in the evening and running the gen is just plain rude. In my case I don't hear many people running the things in the evening unless it's a really big boat anchored away from others.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:36 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have been anchored in a fairly large anchorage and had another boat come in and start to drop anchor right near me when there was lots of room to spread out. I started the genset and when they realized it was running they moved farther away. Then I shut the genset down. Mission accomplished. I think people that drop anchor on top of you are when there is room not to do so are much less courteous than those who run a genset.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:28 AM   #20
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
There are so many ways people will be annoyed in anchorages.... from music to loud talking and laughing to small vessels buzzing around. Generators are just one of the "annoyances".

Some are annoyed when others just occupy their favorite anchorage.

Most anchorages on the US east coast are never silent from outside sources such as road noise, planes, etc... West coast I can see some more remote spots.

Noisiest anchorage I was ever in was due to frogs.... dang environmentalists keep preserving the little buggers........
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote