Ft Myers area transit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duetto

Vessel Name
GEM
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 34
hi all,

we need to get our boat from stuart, fl to sarasota, fl in 1 months time. we're trying to assess whether it will be possible to safely transit the icw between ft myers and venice. our boat is a pdq powercat with a 3' draft. we only travel in daylight, anchor out most of the time. i'd rather not go the long way around (i.e. miami/marathon/marco?). i've thought about going out into the gulf at the east end of sanibel causeway but need one stop (cayo costa?) and it assumes i can get to that opening from ft myers.

i've been searching the internet for info on channel changes and blockages but so far info in spotty and not a lot. i realize it's soon after ian and maybe the info is not out there yet. any help would be greatly appreciated.

disregard the signature, that's our other boat.

Have you subscribed to the USCG Seventh District Notice to Mariners? One thing CG will be doing is verifying all of their aids to navigation, and the Notice to Mariners will report some of their findings.

https://navcen.uscg.gov/local-notices-to-mariners?district=7+0&subdistrict=n

You could also call some CG Stations, commercial salvors, local FWC, and marinas along the route and ask about conditions. Clearly the “direct impact” folks will be busy, and that may be the area to run offshore. Areas outside of there should be functional.

Duetto: Congrats on your PDQ - those are nice boats.

The Corps of Engineers will likely move as fast as they can to clear submerged debris and restore safe navigation on the Okeechobee Waterway. However, over the next few months, I feel strongly that the prudent mariner ought to avoid the waters of the lower Caloosahatchee River, San Carlos Bay, Pine Island Sound, Charlotte Harbor and Lemon Bay, etc. The currents will be continually shifting pieces of storm-related flotsam all over the place, in and out of the known channels. Unless you absolutely have to go there, why risk it?

I hear you about preferring not to round the capes and cross Florida Bay, but it's the safer play. Running outside of the "Ian" strike zone and then coming back inside at Venice Inlet or points north ought to be safe, as far as submerged debris is concerned. Pick your weather, and if you get tired, drop the hook off a quiet beach somewhere away from any inlets that might be carrying debris out to sea, have a nap, and carry on.

Back
Top Bottom