Favorite Stops: Stuart to Savannah?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get your point...to me it's sooooo tiny....

Especially because now MORE transients can stop because the water is better utilized....despite it costing the same as a whopping 2 glasses of wine in town.

Yet you seem to go there a lot as you know it like the back of your hand.....think about that.... :D

Last edited:
Yet you seem to go there a lot as you know it like the back of your hand.....think about that.... :D

I do, as I really enjoy the town. Think its a great place, But I take a slip when I stop there now (and I will again in two weeks on my way back from SW Florida to see the lights as I do every year). I also cruise through on my way to Palm Coast and back, Marineland and back and my current cruise.

As I said, it isn't about the money, it about the right to anchor.

But good job making it personal with your snide remark rather than discussing the point.

Last edited:
I do, as I really enjoy the town. Think its a great place, But I take a slip when I stop there now (and I will again in two weeks on my way back from SW Florida to see the lights as I do every year). I also cruise through on my way to Palm Coast and back, Marineland and back and my current cruise.

As I said, it isn't about the money, it about the right to anchor.

But good job making it personal with your snide remark rather than discussing the point.

Oh but sir..I did discuss it. maybe I sounded snide because it sounded like you assumed I was too stupid to realize your point.

Plus it was personal as only 2 of us were discussing it. As to snide...think about it...bitching about a place you frequent???? What would you say to someone else doing it?...you have done worse in threads.

I see your point.... and only agree with it.... a teeny, tiny bit.

I suggested why the mooring balls were a better idea because being able to fit more transients, I suggested places to anchor that others do and I would if I wanted to pass up the great mooring ball option (just because you aren't comfy anchoring there is not something I can know).

So as to not discussing it?.... well ....not sure if discussing it means agreeing with you or what?

I am done...back to the main topic....

Last edited:
Finally, it will be tough for additional municipalities to develop fields given the results of the pilot (with lobbying).

Apparently Jensen Beach didn't get the message or the lobbying failed.

https://www.martin.fl.us/JensenBeachMooring

The moorings are now in place. You can see them just off the AICW around ST MM 981.

Apparently they were able to secure $800,000 from 2 Florida grant programs.

Ted

Last edited:
Apparently Jensen Beach didn't get the message or the lobbying failed.

https://www.martin.fl.us/JensenBeachMooring

The moorings are now in place. You can see them just off the AICW around ST MM 981.

Apparently they were able to secure $800,000 from 2 Florida grant programs.

Ted

Good for them, approved in 2011.

Plus there are existing good anchorages just north and south of the causeway in Jensen and all around the Stuart area. So nice mix of both!

Last edited:
Well hopefully a lot more have been approved in the last 9 years!

Ted

OK, so what’s a little thread drift among friends?

Moorings are great, except when they are not. Our Great Harbour 37 has a proud bow and high side passages which make for more challenging capture of a mooring ball. We can do it on calm days, but windy is challenging. That’s our own fault, as the Admiral is not yet confident to drive the boat in a windy mooring field and lacks the upper body strength to connect some mooring pendants. My arms are not long enough to do both.

Our first visit to a “City” mooring field was Gulfport, FL, on the southern tip of the Pinellas peninsula. However, back in 2019, those transient moorings were exclusively for sailboats. It said so on the City website and Dockwa to book the ball. The City Leadership wanted to encourage “green” boats; not us. Fortunately, the Boca Ciega Bay anchorage is huge, room for 100+ boats. We have anchored there many times. I found it interesting that the moorings were always >90% empty. Some sailors are rather thrifty. I bet those few that were occupied were monthly renters. I checked just prior to this post and the “sailboats–only” condition has now been removed. Progress! I suspect power boaters might spend more $ in the waterfront restaurants, as well.

We did not grab a ball on our entire 63d trip. We wanted too, but it was either too windy or we were ready to spend a weekend ashore and a marina’s walk-off convenience sounded better. There was a great tip by Woodland Hills a couple months back to make a temporary mooring connection by throwing your anchor bridle over the ball. We want to try that! More moorings along the ICW with easy (Dockwa) advanced same-day reservations would significantly reduce the stress of “will there be room in the anchorage when we get there…”.

For us, the best reason to anchor is because you can overnight in beautiful places immersed in nature. Many of the (Post #38) List of Favorite ICW Overnight Spots fit this description. My Admiral prefers remote anchoring during the week and access to activities (cities, parks) during the weekend. She works remotely 9-5/M-F and I can anchor solo with ease. The next morning we raise anchor together before she starts work. I am smart enough to know that if it works for her it is perfect for me.

Correction: my post #38 which stated “63d” ambiguously referred our 63 “day” roundtrip from St Pete to Charleston to St Pete. It was a great cruise but I am not sure I’d want to do it 63 times…

You might try having your wife pick the mooring up on the stern. Run a line down the side with one end tied to a bow cleat. Pick the mooring up off the swim platform and attach the rope. As you are spinning the boat around, she can go forward and take the slack out of the rope. Obviously it will be necessary to properly run lines through the mooring eye, but catching it allows you the leisure to make the lines correct.

Ted

At about 10' above the waterline, my GH37's upper aft deck is even higher than the bow. Also, I don't think my ex-wife and my girlfriend would collaborate effectively in mooring. Though it would be handy...
Ted, How was your ride down the OWW?

At about 10' above the waterline, my GH37's upper aft deck is even higher than the bow. Also, I don't think my ex-wife and my girlfriend would collaborate effectively in mooring. Though it would be handy...
Ted, How was your ride down the OWW?

The crossing was uneventful. 2 days from Stuart to Fort Myers with one night on the Moore Haven city dock.

I was talking about picking the mooring up off your swim platform. It would seem relatively simple to run a line down the side, pick up the mooring, and take the slack in at the bow.

Ted

The crossing was uneventful. 2 days from Stuart to Fort Myers with one night on the Moore Haven city dock.

I was talking about picking the mooring up off your swim platform. It would seem relatively simple to run a line down the side, pick up the mooring, and take the slack in at the bow.

Ted

I was also thinking this might be a possible solution. Maybe pass the mooring then when it’s almost to the swim platform let the wind drift the boat into the mooring, where your wife is positioned ready to snatch it and loop it onto the already run line from the bow?

With no side decks aft on the GH it could be tricky to get the line back up to the bow however.

I was also thinking this might be a possible solution. Maybe pass the mooring then when it’s almost to the swim platform let the wind drift the boat into the mooring, where your wife is positioned ready to snatch it and loop it onto the already run line from the bow?

With no side decks aft on the GH it could be tricky to get the line back up to the bow however.
Actually I think it could be quite simple. Before you get to the mooring, preposition a line by lowering it from the upper deck to the stern and then tying it off at the stern. Then walk the upper deck laying line over the side. When you get to the bow, take the slack out and tie it off to a bow cleat. I would think you could catch the mooring and attach the line with a bowline. Release the line from the stern cleat, and then go to the bow to recover the line with the mooring attached.

Ted

Actually I think it could be quite simple. Before you get to the mooring, preposition a line by lowering it from the upper deck to the stern and then tying it off at the stern. Then walk the upper deck laying line over the side. When you get to the bow, take the slack out and tie it off to a bow cleat. I would think you could catch the mooring and attach the line with a bowline. Release the line from the stern cleat, and then go to the bow to recover the line with the mooring attached.

Ted

Exactly how we do it. Sian can't get the mooring from our bow so she has a line cleated through a bow hawsehole, walks it back outside everything to the bottom of the mid- steps and aft if the mid-strut. She easily grabs the pennant there. Dependent on wind/current we have already decided if she is tying it off right there and we will fix everything on the bow when we are ready, or if everything is slack she walks it outside everything back to the bow and cleats it loosely to be corrected later.

It helps with the side walks but no reason that can't be done with a prepared line laying down the side of the GH. Just tie it to the pennant and drop back. Walk to the bow and tidy up afterwards.

Just be aware of the boat moored behind you as you will be dropping back the length of your boat extra from what the field design is. If too close then immediately go to the bow and take in the line.

Good suggestions! The GF and I talked it over and are looking forward to giving its a try. There are several ways this could work - some experimenting is due.

We have this cool Mantus ¾” (diameter "D") Carabiner (4,500# wl, 19,000# ubs) that came with the boat. I haven't figured out how to use it for mooring; departing it is easier to just slip lines. Sadly, at 10" long, its too big for a key chain.

Maybe run the bow-to-stern line through hole "B". GF can clip it to the pendant from the cockpit. Maybe it will slide forward as the boat settles with the wind and current. Then I can replace it at leisure with a pair of bow lines to the pendant.

With my luck, I'd prolly wind up side-to the mooring and every guy in the mooring field would be offering advice.... I could tell them its a "modified Bahamian mooring".

Attachments

• CARABINER-DIMENSIONS.png
    CARABINER-DIMENSIONS.png
    137.2 KB · Views: 10
You have a GF? That’s so cool. I’m so old. [emoji30]

Good suggestions! The GF and I talked it over and are looking forward to giving its a try. There are several ways this could work - some experimenting is due.

We have this cool Mantus ¾” (diameter "D") Carabiner (4,500# wl, 19,000# ubs) that came with the boat. I haven't figured out how to use it for mooring; departing it is easier to just slip lines. Sadly, at 10" long, its too big for a key chain.

Maybe run the bow-to-stern line through hole "B". GF can clip it to the pendant from the cockpit. Maybe it will slide forward as the boat settles with the wind and current. Then I can replace it at leisure with a pair of bow lines to the pendant.

With my luck, I'd prolly wind up side-to the mooring and every guy in the mooring field would be offering advice.... I could tell them its a "modified Bahamian mooring".

Swing gate clips are notorious for coming off when they can pivot around. Also, you will find some pendant eyes on moorings are quite thick, approaching 2" inches. This can keep the gate from closing. You are really better off passing the line through the eye of the pendant or ring and tying a bowline or other quick knot that is easily releasable.

Ted

Yep, if she isn't speedy with a bowline she can put on a round turn and two (or three) half hitches, a knot that will do until you are ready to tidy everything up and doesn't need much thinking. Just leave a nice length of bitter end.

I understand this fairly simple concept. I can’t figure out how you undo the knot on the mooring ring when you depart. How is this done?

I don't seem to need to do it, but others have suggested tying a line in a loop from one bow cleat to one on the other side.

Nose up to the ball and drop it over the ball. From what I gather, the line drops below the ball ( don't use a floating line) and snags it well enough and long enough for the helmsman to come forward to assist in the pendant pickup and stringing the proper mooring lines.

Sounds good in theory.....no personal experience....other than doing something similar with a towline and repositioning no we buoys for the State Police.... :D

I understand this fairly simple concept. I can’t figure out how you undo the knot on the mooring ring when you depart. How is this done?

The purpose of the line and the bowline is to bring the mooring pendant to the bow of the boat. Then use a different line from a bow cleat through the pendant eye back to the same cleat. Once that line is secure, slack and remove the original line with the bowline.

Ted

One other thought. If you are just staying for a night or three what Ted describes is fine. For longer term mooring you really want to tie off to the pennant rather than risk the line rubbing through.

When we tied up in Warderick Wells for a week to ride out a blow, we tied to the pennant and looped another line loosely through it and back to a cleat. That way if the tied line gave out we had a back up.

When we were leaving I went to the pennant on the dinghy before we lifted it and undid the tie, falling back in the looped line which we then released from the boat.

Well and good if there’s a pennant. However what do you do if you need to release a bowline from the ring on top of the mooring ball? You can attach it from the stern but how do you undo it? There are situations like that in the northeast and it also was the case in St. Augustine FL.

Well and good if there’s a pennant. However what do you do if you need to release a bowline from the ring on top of the mooring ball? You can attach it from the stern but how do you undo it? There are situations like that in the northeast and it also was the case in St. Augustine FL.

The line is to get you on the mooring. If there is only a ring on the mooring, you may need to use the dinghy to run a traditional line through the ring and then release the line with the bowline.

For me, it's about get on the mooring anyway you can and then setting up your traditional mooring line(s).

Ted

Back
Top Bottom