East Coast Must See Locations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cruising south

Hello everyone,
My wife and I are planning a trip down the east coast in 2-3 years, depending on when my financial guy says my retirement egg is ready to hatch. We're looking for advice on must see locations along the way. We will be leaving from upper Naragansett Bay in the fall.
We're looking for places with easily accessible anchorages, museums, hiking, sight seeing, restaurants / bars preferred.
Is there any way to possibly meet up with others planning a run down the coast at the same time?
Thanks,
Dave

Oxford and St Michaels Md. Okrakoke, Oriental, New Bern, Cape Lookout (where sea turtles will swim next to your boat and you will hear them blow when they come up), Beaufort (all in NC). Georgetown SC. Jacksonville, Fl up the St Johns river. Down the ICW to Stuart then out to Bimini (46 miles away), back to Miami and to Islamorada. All great destinations. Just do it in not hurricane season. If you cross the Gulf Stream just make sure that the wind is from the south. Don't try to cross the Gulf Stream if there is any component of a North wind.

Last edited:
Georgia: Cumberland Island National Seashore - Ice House Museum dock in the East River. Definitely walk over to the ocean side for undeveloped beaches, better yet do an all-day hike on the trails to stretch your legs. https://letsembark.io/redirect-plac...1.47440506071764,30.754311455588265/new_place

Jekyl Island Club, dock at The Wharf. Http://jekyllclub.com. Book a room for a date night off of the boat, or simply eat breakfast, lunch, tea or dinner and walk around the place, which is a historic landmark, was a winter getaway for a lot of the prominent families from the early twentieth century.

Less interesting but worth an hour or two is nearby downtown St Mary’s, a couple museums easy walk from the dock.

Last edited:
We've done the ICW round trip five times so we can be in Maine in summer and Bahamas in winter. Our home port is Bristol, RI but the boat is rarely there. A few general tips:

Don't forget Maine. It's our favorite cruising ground - and the same for many other people.

Most insurance will require you to be north from June 1 to November 1. Find insurance that draws the "line" (also called the "box") at the Florida border. Some insurance companies requires you to stay north of Virginia. This is inconvenient.

We are not full time live aboard. We spend about 1/3rd of the year on the boat - but broken up into 2 week to 2 month segments. There are lots of marinas with good monthly rates where we feel comfortable leaving the boat and flying out.

The toughest part of the trip South is if you wait too long into the fall before getting out of New England. The weather can fall apart early. Try to get to Cape May by September 10. After that you are in protected water all the way to Florida and there's no hurry.

In the ICW, we do 100 miles every three days. Two days of 50 miles and a day off for provisioning, rain-day, and sightseeing. We also take a full week off in two places. Charleston and some where else. The ICW is no fun if you are in a hurry.

Join the ICW Facebook group "Cruising the ICW by Bob423". Get AquaMap on an iPad as a planning guide. It includes ActiveCaptain

Don't miss the Bahamas. It's why we make the trip. Best weather months are March and April. The crossing from Florida to the first island is only 45 miles but you sometimes have to wait a while for the right weather to cross the Gulf Stream. Some of our best "retirement" friends are ones we've met in the Bahamas. The small "family islands" are just beautiful with friendly people and great anchorages.

It's very easy to make friends on the ICW and in the Bahamas. You'll see the same boats over an over and get to know them each night at the marinas. Get some "boat cards" printed with name, email, and a picture of you and the boat. I keep a list of the boats we've met over the years. Must be 300 names by now.

Last edited:
East Coast trip

Duetto: Hello, we plan on doing Washington DC either coming or going. I am currently looking at folding electric bikes. Thanks!

lady sue: I have been by Staten Island and the statue of liberty but never through Kill van Kull, sounds great, thanks!

Finally Fun Again: Great Blog! I also like Skipper Bob's, Active Captain and Waterway Guide. Thanks for the info...

tomdove: I've looked into MTOA however didn't join as there are very few marinas that participate in the northeast. Thanks for directing me to Bob Sherer's blog, it's full of great info that will give me hours of enjoyment through this winter. I will look for the Chesapeake Cruising Guides and purchase. If you get up to the Narragansett Bay area this summer, contact me, hopefully we can meet up.

contingensea: Loved Bob Sherer's Blog, great info. I've looked into the AGLCA and will take another look to see if it's worth the money, Thanks!

vtmackey: The list is already being put together.:) Do you mean Skipper Bob's East Coast Anchorages?

Bryant: Thanks for the great info.

Alaskaflyer: Thanks for the great information, we had planned to stop at Jeckyl Island but will definitely look into your other recommendations.

CarlF: I've already joined Bob423's Facebook page and the boat cards should be printing as I type this. We are thinking about starting to head south end of September / beginning of October to keep ahead for the cold. We definitely won't miss the Bahamas. If your in Bristol this spring or summer, please contact me, we try to spend a good amount of time in Bristol on the town moorings, perhaps we can meet up....

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

Be careful not to leave too late. It's not the cold, it's the beginning of the winter gales that are the problem. They seem to come earlier with climate change.

Two years ago I left New England Boatworks on October 1. I'd had the boat hauled for some work and were delayed launching. I left the same morning the boat went back in the water. I'm a 55ft heavy boat but it was still touch and go between the blows. I didn't take my wife but a strong young crew who could handle rough weather. We went all night and through the East River at dawn. It was rough off NJ. We finally ducked into Atlantic City because 35 knot winds were forecast for the night. The next morning it was still blowing over 25 but fortunately off the land so we hugged the shore to keep out of the seas and made it to Cape May. The wind then went back up to 40knots. Once you make it to Cape May, you are all set.

It's not this bad every year but if you get delayed you can become trapped in New England. The same year a good friend at New England Boat was waiting for parts before going. He was ready to leave on October 6 but didn't get a weather window until December 9. It was 25 degrees as he left. Ice on the decks.

I now leave RI by September 10.

Last edited:
Delaware Bay can be worse than the ocean if the wind gets above 25 or so and directly opposes the current.

The Chesapeake can be a butt kicker too...especially when sometimes it's big on the beam.

But generally better stuck in Cape May rather than New York.

Last edited:
Must see

Near east end of Albemarle Sound is Edenton. Free two days docking at protected town dock. See “Visit Edenton.com” for information. En route, Albemarle Plantation Marina on Yeopim River usually has good price on diesel. Forbes.com has labeled Edenton as “The Prettiest Small Town in the South.” I consider this town to be a “must see.”

Every town has a story if you choose to find it. Towns along the waterway started there when the water was the best transportation method. They always have some local history and story if you ask the right questions of some of the older residents. I found breakfast places near the water where local hang out the be a good place to start. Just ask some guys in a group and see what you learn.

A delight of boat cruising is that you are not driving past interesting stuff you don't see at 60 MPH on the interstate. Forget the bikes just walk. Don't just blast through town and get your tourist card punched.

Last edited:
East Coast trip

halfmoon: Hello, I just researched Edenton, looks beautiful. Just the type of place we like to stop and explore for a day or three. Thanks for the recommendation.

bayview: Hello, I agree, the delight of boat cruising is that you are not driving past interesting stuff you don't see at 60 MPH on the interstate. We enjoy learning the history at each location. My wife and I generally do long walks at every stop. We are looking for bikes to extend our range a bit, especially for grocery shopping when the marina doesn't offer a complimentary car.

A great side excursion by car if you're there at one of the right times in spring and fall is the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia, south from Charlottesville.

East Coast trip

EngNate: Hello, it looks beautiful and a chance to get off the boat for a few days, Suzann would love it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom