Dock space prior to boat purchase???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FIRE

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Change
Looking for advice on how early to begin my search on securing seasonal dock space prior to boat purchase. In my case I think I am settled on a boat with a 16' beam and 55' with a LOA of about 60'.
Difficult part is that our plan is to use the boat aggressively in the beginning cruising up or down the ICW depending on where the purchase takes place. Bahamas...Island hopping etc. and summering on Long Island (NY). Does one just figure on transient dock space during the non hurricane cruising season? Is it reasonable to figure on $3.00/ft average? Do many places offer discounted rates if you stay a week? A Month? Several months? Can you find budget places that are within a reasonable distance of where you want to be? Anyone with experience with Dockwa that can comment if its only the high end marinas that subscribe to the service. Is there another good book or AP for this purpose? Sorry for the rapid fire questions...but I have so much to learn and understand!

THANKS! At the moment we are about 2 years out from purchase with boat money at the ready in a month or so. Yah-Hoooo...

I think you LOA will be a bit longer.

I would shop around for moorage. What are your expectations with moorage? Water, power, security etc.

I was lucky enough to purchase our dock/moorage.

BTW Welcome to TF.

You would be surprised how many people buy boats and then find out there's no dockage available where they thought they were going to keep it.

Lots of people bringing boats to SW Florida this winter and some will find out the music stopped back in July and almost all the seats (slips) are taken.

Ted

Seasonal rentals will be cheaper than transient (daily). I don' know of many that discount by the week or month, but I've never tried. price per foot will varying greatly. $3/ft is a little on the low side for key places where everyone wants to be. Block Island RI is a popular destination, and they are $5.25/ft for a vessel that size.

If you're going to be in one general area, get a seasonal slip. If you're really going to be cruising, you might want to skip a long term rental, anchor as much as you can. Get moorings when you can and get slips when there are no other options or in the case of bad storms.

I know the boat pretty well and checked the specifications to be certain (60'9"). That said itsounds pretty good to OWN your own dock/moorage!

Point well taken - I fully intend to have my ass in a seat....

Thanks for teh reply - Good info!

Owning is probably the only sure way of knowing you will have a slip the next season.

Be really careful about either owning a slip or renting a slip from an individual who owns a slip about your LOA. You said "In my case I think I am settled on a boat with a 16' beam and 55' with a LOA of about 60'." The "about 60' " could become significant.

At a marina I am considering purchasing a slip there is no "about" it. If your boat was say 60'2" you might well get away with it, but if it was say 60'10" you might well not get away with it, because you are buying a very literal rectangle of water space and NO overhang. If an adjacent slip owner, or renter for that matter, complained about your boat OR the harbormaster was being pressured to be fair with EVERYBODY then you might be in trouble with that extra 10".

My boat is 51' LOA and I am pretty used to sticking out an extra 1-5' (my current marina allows up to 10% overage). But at the marina I am considering I am told nicely but firmly that I would need to consider one of the 55' slips.

Just sayin.

You would be surprised how many people buy boats and then find out there's no dockage available where they thought they were going to keep it.
Or naively assume when the marina they're in says "that will fit"... and it won't.

By the time I factored the overhang of the dinghy on the swim platform, and the bow pulpit... I was left scrambling to find a new slip at a different marina.

Upside is the wife likes the view from the current marina better.

Owning is probably the only sure way of knowing you will have a slip the next season.

Be really careful about either owning a slip or renting a slip from an individual who owns a slip about your LOA. You said "In my case I think I am settled on a boat with a 16' beam and 55' with a LOA of about 60'." The "about 60' " could become significant.

At a marina I am considering purchasing a slip there is no "about" it. If your boat was say 60'2" you might well get away with it, but if it was say 60'10" you might well not get away with it, because you are buying a very literal rectangle of water space and NO overhang. If an adjacent slip owner, or renter for that matter, complained about your boat OR the harbormaster was being pressured to be fair with EVERYBODY then you might be in trouble with that extra 10".

My boat is 51' LOA and I am pretty used to sticking out an extra 1-5' (my current marina allows up to 10% overage). But at the marina I am considering I am told nicely but firmly that I would need to consider one of the 55' slips.

Just sayin.

Very good points if you buy at a marina. I have a marina of one!!

Attachments

• Dock.jpg
    Dock.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 37
Preferential Treatment

Yes, but you are probably all kissy-kissy with the owner.:D

Back
Top Bottom