???
Explain SVP
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #22
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Transport Canada has rules for moorings as to markings, the buoy itself, etc. The Provincial Government has jurisdiction on the seafloor at least in the relative shallows where most buoys are located. Even though the Province has authority over the approval of and placement of mooring buoys on Provincial land, there is no process to do it (application, inspection, or enforcement).
There was another thread on TF that covered and referenced the various laws. It is basically a case of trespass.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Janeth Mary
Vessel Model: Ranger 27 OB
private moorings

There was an article in, I believe, Pacific Yachting explaining this in detail.

To place a private mooring buoy you are required to get a permit from the province. But the province (of BC) doesn't issue them.

So technically you are not allowed to do it, but they are not enforcing it.

For now.

It's pretty clear that harbours are not anyone's private property, so you can't just build a dock or attach things without permits.

But you can anchor, as that comes under a different ruling and of course anchoring is almost always temporary, and generally necessary.

So it seems you could anchor right beside a private mooring buoy and be more in the right than the 'owner' of the buoy.
LakeMJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:11 PM   #24
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Interesting trivia I learned from the Pacific Yachting article. The ocean is federal given over to the province to manage, this I knew. But the bottom belongs to the province of BC, this I did not know.

So when you plant a moorage buoy, it is actually under two jurisdictions.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #25
Veteran Member

what's the proper protocol?

So now my question is, as a newbie who has never had to anchor/moor before, what's the protocol when you arrive late to a harbour where the only spot(s) left are private buoys?

After calling and getting a 'no' or no answer do you:

1) Tie up anyway?
2) anchor beside the buoy?
3) head off in the dwindling light to look for a less crowded place?
Old 07-19-2021, 01:31 PM   #26
Guru

Jim,
As the article stated, if you tie up to the private buoy you are "trespassing on a trespasser". But the larger issue is do you trust the buoy system with your boat, and maybe your life (extreme but possible). Anchoring can be a concern due to entanglement issues with the buoy(s). Finding a space (somewhere) to anchor would be my choice!
However, that is a big part of the problem with these "illegal" moorings. In some popular places to anchor, finding space to anchor anywhere in the bay is becoming more of a problem. Anchoring is legal almost everywhere in BC.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Tom,

As I am new to anchoring I feel more comfortable (perhaps foolishly) tying up to something, anything, lol.

But I have about 7 or 8 months to take some courses and I should have no trouble getting up to speed on it.

A Navy friend of mine mentioned some kind of mooring pole or device that he said would make tying up to a mooring buoy easy for a lone sailor like me. Something about spring loaded...

Any idea what that might be? I'm all for having the right tools, even if a bit over the top, if it makes things easier while I get up to speed.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:37 PM   #28
Guru

Jim,
Many factors will determine the relative safety of anchoring compared to mooring on "someone else's" buoy.

Anchoring depends on the equipment. Type and size of anchor, chain, rope, or combo rode. It depends on the bottom type, tides, and depths. It also depends greatly on the person's technique. It is not hard to learn. For example it is well covered in the Power Squadron courses.
The private buoy safety depends on all of the above (equipment, sizing of anchoring system, tides, depth, and most importantly has the system been installed, checked, and maintained properly. Personally I trusted my anchoring way, way more than I would trust a private buoy. Government buoys are much more reliable, as they are maintained and don't want the liability should there be a problem. For a smaller boat like a Ranger 27, maybe the concerns about the private buoy are a bit less??
The pole your friend is talking about could be something called a "happy hooker". Should be able to "google it".
Old 07-19-2021, 04:43 PM   #29
Guru

My additional advice is get a good anchor (like Vulcan, Spade, Sarca, etc.) one size oversized for your boat, all chain rode, or at least a boat length, and then "study up" on how to do it. Taking a general course like Power Squadron (there are other sources of training) is a good idea, or you can read up on it, or hire a trainer to take you out on your boat and practise. To me, anchoring is an essential skill.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:58 PM   #30
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Here is one example, I would prefer something a bit longer but this would work.

On a Ranger Tug - solo - I'd go to the back and get on your swim grid with the transom to the ball. Then secure the line and walk it forward.

https://www.amazon.com/TEEPOR-Long-D...731780&sr=8-12
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #31
Veteran Member

anchoring

Thanks Tom. I understand the issues with a buoy perhaps being poorly maintained. In my travels around the Discovery Islands I have seen a lot of poorly maintained docks and just about everything else.

At Quadra Island I held onto the handrail on the ramp at the dock beside the ferry, it looks like one wrong step and you'll go right through.

RSN: That looks like what my friend was talking about, but I think I will google 'happy hooker' as well to see what comes up.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:19 PM   #32
Veteran Member

rsn48: Just watched the video for that Teepor boat hook, I am sure that's what my friend was talking about.

I agree though, something longer and perhaps a little sturdier would be nice. I hate to say it, but it seems too cheap. I don't mind paying for something that is better quality (if it really is).
Old 07-19-2021, 05:26 PM   #33
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Here is a link Robship Hook & Moor that we have used for many, many years.
We love it, very well built & sturdy, makes threading a line thru the buoy a breeze.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:30 PM   #34
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
West Marine had a much smaller grabber. True to form, when WM sold out their supply, they apparently did not reorder. I also read comment about some folks saying they either trouble with it or it did not work.

The one in the video is much larger and may work.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:03 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Mike: That Robship Boat Hook looks great. It looks more sturdy and simpler than the Teepor. I'll keep my eye out for one while prowling marinas and marine supply stores.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:59 PM   #36

City: Lantzville
Vessel Name: Redoubt
Vessel Model: Gulf Commander
Have you looked into Boat Harbour Marina. Probably the nicest marina in the region. Alternately, the community marina in Ladysmith. The wharfinger told me the other day that he was having lots of 30' and 40' slips coming available.
Redoubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:25 PM   #37
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
LakeMJim might have in mind a vertical pole with it`s own float on a short line attached to the mooring buoy attached to the mooring apparatus. The pole is tall enough to motor up to and grab. Easier than devising a pick up line running from cockpit to bow to slip the mooring line onto. We have them here.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:40 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Redoubt

Thanks for those tips, Boat Harbour is the first place I have seen that says they have slips available. I'll call them tomorrow.

From Nanaimo I headed North to Campbell river, then decided to cross to Powell River, and I checked marinas all the way down to Gibsons, so I missed the places South of Nanaimo.

Not much luck on the Sunshine (formerly 'Rainy') Coast but I saw some places I liked a lot (Halfmoon Bay, Gibsons) as potential places to live. Looks like some beautiful places to boat from Saltery Bay to Earl's cove, Secret Cove etc.

I'm spending some time in Vancouver now, and will head back to the Island in September, to check out Ladysmith, Saltspring, Sidney, Sooke, Ucluelet and Tofino.

I've put 7,000 km on my car in the last 6 weeks (that includes my initial drive from Ontario). I've seen a lot of the area!
Old 07-22-2021, 02:02 AM   #39
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Keep in mind that being on the waiting list, is different than accepting the slip when it comes available. Some people have intention, but not the wherewithal to pull it off when offered. When I moved up on the waiting list, it wasn't one spot at a time, but three to ten spots at a time.

Many of these lists don't require a deposit. Too bad, as I believe a $50 refundable deposit would decrease the list size dramatically.

As a serious prospect, I paid for my slip without even owning a boat at the time. Told the wharfinger that I would fill it in three months time, and I did.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Trawler Forum mobile app
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:04 AM   #40
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Northern Spy, have you considered contacting those on the list to see if they wanted to sell their position?