Old 09-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #1

City: Portland
Canadian tax regulations

I'm considering leaving my boat in Canada over the winter so that I'm positioned to explore the inland passage next year. Has anyone on the list done this?
I understand that if you leave it for more than 6 months there are forms to fill and taxes to pay. Is it practical? Expensive?
I usually keep my boat in South Puget Sound.
dennisspain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #2

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee
There's quite a few US registered boats at my marina (Van Isle) year round. I'm only aware of 1 that has paid the Canadian taxes, the rest cross the border to San Juan Island before their 6 months are up and stay for a couple of days to reset the counter. It's known as a trip around the flagpole. So no forms, no taxes required unless you overstay (and get caught).
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vermont
Sounds like it has changed because now you can stay for up to 12 months. But you need to tell them when you enter how long you expect to stay, then leave by that date, and no more than 12 months.

Also, if you plan to come and go yourself, but leave the boat, you need to file form E99. I didn't know that and got "educated" by the CBSA folks in Prince Rupert. When you enter, you need to tell them you will be coming and going, but leaving the boat. And be sure to do that form.

One challenge is that when you call in I think the calls go to various call centers all over Canada, and many of the officers answering are not real familiar with the boat procedures.

Google "MEMORANDUM D2-1-1" and read away for all the official rules.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #4
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Pay up! If your boat is registered in Wyoming, why do you get a break?

Sorry, rude, but I had to pay the f$%#^$#@ taxes...
Old 09-03-2017, 06:47 AM   #5
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Pay up! If your boat is registered in Wyoming, why do you get a break?

Sorry, rude, but I had to pay the f$%#^$#@ taxes...
If one is a CA resident, or brings the boat to CA to stay, they need to pay. The same is true in the US. If I were required to pay GST etc on my boat to enter Canada for a visit, guess where I wouldn't go? And I suspect that would be true for most people.

I pay lots of taxes in lots of places, including Canada. But I only pay those that I'm required to pay. And if there is a way to be exempt from some tax, I'll certainly consider taking advantage of that. I can't speak for others, but I'm fully paid up. And I'm also not volunteering to pay more.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I pay lots of taxes in lots of places. But I only pay those that I'm required to pay. And if there is a way to be exempt from some tax, I'll certainly consider taking advantage of that. I can't speak for others, but I'm fully paid up. And I'm also not volunteering to pay more.

They need to do better with what they already take.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Ahem...Ontario sends $100K worth of supplies to Harvey victims in Texas - Canada - CBC News
Old 09-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #8

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Thank you but please don't equate charity with Taxation. We already have enough politicians who do that already.

Marty......................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
If we brought our boat to reside in Canada for some undisclosed legth of time to use as a getaway cabin what taxes would we be eligible for excluding sales tax and marine property taxes? And it would be assumed ultimately the boat and it's part time residents would return to the US.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:41 PM   #10

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
Retention of Foreign Pleasure Craft in Canada

50. While on their visit in Canada, foreign boaters are free to avail themselves of the services of marina operators and other repair outlets for the purpose of repair and maintenance to their boats. For example, boaters may wish to have their boats painted or overhauled before leaving Canada. This kind of work is allowed.
51. Boats must be exported from Canada at the end of their declared exportation date, which was identified to the CBSA at the time of importation or within 12 months from the date of importation, whichever is earlier. If, however, a boat cannot be exported by the date identified at the time of importation, any request for an extension to the date of exportation must be directed to the nearest CBSA office. If an extension is warranted, the reviewing border services officer may issue a Form E99 in accordance with section 5(2) of the Non-residents' Temporary Importation of Baggage and Conveyances Regulations to extend the period of importation or may require the boat to be documented on a Form E29B.
52. Boats imported strictly for repair or storage, or those remaining in Canada for storage purposes in the off-season, should only be documented on Form E29B. If used, the Form E99 will be endorsed "for repair only." A copy of the work order from the repair facility must be attached to the CBSA copy of the Form E99 or the Form E29B. Both these forms must show an expiry date and indicate the location where the unit is authorized to remain while being repaired or stored.
53. If the vessel is being imported for the purposes of repairs that are not incidental to a visit under tariff item No. 9803, or is imported strictly for the purposes of storage, tariff item No. 9993 will apply. More information on such temporary importations may be found in Memorandum D8-1-1, Amendments to Temporary Importation (Tariff Item No. 9993.00.00) Regulations.
54. The Form E99 should be affixed to the pleasure craft so as to ensure that it remains clearly visible at all times, preferably on the inside right corner of the windshield. The Form E29B should be available for review upon demand. Both documents may be kept on file with the boat repair facility.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #11

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
I too have considered visiting Canada for a period of time. Those forms are pretty tedious and not sure if I fully understand what it's saying. It seems to suggest we could stay tax-free for up to 12 months... But part of the form assumes you are there for "repairs"?
The first time I read it I thought it was saying we can stay for up to 12 months, we could come and go, and it didn't matter if we were having any repairs done... Is that right?
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #12

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
Or off season storage or between visits. It's all one as long as you leave in 12 months.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #13
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
So Other Gary I think I'm hearing that after 12 months I'll need to display the the E99 form and leave Canada for a short time before returning .. for another 12 mos. We don't really know what we're going to do so we're looking for simplicity and flexability.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #14
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
So Other Gary I think I'm hearing that after 12 months I'll need to display the the E99 form and leave Canada for a short time before returning .. for another 12 mos. We don't really know what we're going to do so we're looking for simplicity and flexability.
The time need only be a day.
Your not required to "check-out" with the E99 just "check-in".
You just go back into Customs and redo the process.
We have people here that don't even remove the boat, they just go in every spring and fill out another form. If Customs ask where the boat is they say they're just being proactive and doing it early.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote