Old 02-10-2019, 11:04 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I've got a covered slip with no spiders, brackish waters and good light. My favorite time in the slip is during a good rainstorm. It's always dry and protected with water cascading just aft of the swimstep.

Gotta love a dry boat!
Attached Thumbnails
20180310_164040.jpg   20190208_151036.jpg  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:18 AM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I've an open berth and have spiders, and am located just hundreds of yards from FlyWright's covered slip. The height (33 feet) of this Coot excludes the possibility of a covered berth ... but have greater VHF range than shorter boats like FlyWright.
Attached Thumbnails
leaving marina.jpg  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:44 AM   #23

City: Solomons Island, MD
Vessel Name: Heather Alyssa
Vessel Model: Mainship 350/390
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I've an open berth and have spiders, and am located just hundreds of yards from FlyWright's covered slip. The height (33 feet) of this Coot excludes the possibility of a covered berth ... but have greater VHF range than shorter boats like FlyWright.

I can lend you my sawzall if you’d like. Then you’ll fit under the covered slip. Just kidding! That’s a beautiful boat you’ve got there! Thank you for the reply.
HeatherAlyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:58 AM   #24
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAlyssa View Post
Here’s how I see it. A covered slip to me (while a little more expensive), may prevent me from having to pull my boat out of the water for 25% of the year. I live off the Chesapeake Bay at Solomons Island. I’d save on a haul out, shrink wrapping, and if i switch from single season to something longer lasting, I wouldn’t have to pull my boat out of the water every year just to paint. With a yearly short haul to replace zincs and inspect running gear, what are your opinions? My gel coat should last longer out of the sun as well. I see many benefits.

We had a covered slip when we were in FL, and I liked it well enough. It was usually cooler in the shade... but then the shed was also old, no shed maintenance going on, the metal roof was rusting so we had bits of that from time to time. Can't remember any particular issue with spiders.

But the real reason I'm chiming in is to mention that we just leave the boat in the water over most winters. (As do many others around here.) Short haul for inspection, hull cleaning/waxing, bottom paint when necessary, and zincs. No extra cost for either winter storage or covered slip. Doesn't seem to have hurt the boat...

-Chris
Old 02-11-2019, 07:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We had a covered slip when we were in FL, and I liked it well enough. It was usually cooler in the shade... but then the shed was also old, no shed maintenance going on, the metal roof was rusting so we had bits of that from time to time. Can't remember any particular issue with spiders.

But the real reason I'm chiming in is to mention that we just leave the boat in the water over most winters. (As do many others around here.) Short haul for inspection, hull cleaning/waxing, bottom paint when necessary, and zincs. No extra cost for either winter storage or covered slip. Doesn't seem to have hurt the boat...

-Chris

Exactly what I want to hear. Of course the difference here is cold weather. My engine room already has a built-in heater. Although I’ve never used it, I think I’ll check it out, and that might come in handy during future winter seasons to keep the temperature above freezing.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #26
Guru

I've not ever used a heater. Sometimes a single incandescent light bulb on a time inside the saloon...

-Chris
Old 02-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
We’ve got a pretty good deal on a 50ft covered slip. They’re kinda hard to get here . I can float the dinghy next to the boat,everything stays dry and we have room to grow if the opportunity ever comes up.
Attached Thumbnails
1EC2D4EB-04C1-4B1B-A05C-44CFF28ACA02.jpg  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Greenville KY
Vessel Name: Bare Necessities II
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' ACMY
You will be the one who has to decide what is best for you. I am in a covered slip on Barkley Lake in KY and we prefer covered to open for the same reasons a previously mentioned. The orientation of my slip, the sun comes up from the starboard aft and sets over the Port bow. I don't get much direct sunlight due to the coverage. I especially like being covered during foul weather. You can enjoy your boat and move around on the docks during a rain storm. No snow load or freezing rain during winter months. We live about an hour from the boat so we are able to use the boat or just go down and check on the boat during any kind of weather. Someone mentioned that you can have some dock box storage on the walkways which is nice. Overall I choose covered. I have been on uncovered transient docks during rainstorms and you are pretty much held captive.
Bare Necessities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare Necessities View Post
No snow load or freezing rain during winter months.

That reminds me, there have been a few shed collapses around here from snow loads. Not immediately recently; maybe within the last 5-10 years, though. Seems to me most were upper Chesapeake, eastern side. Georgetown? Or somewhere else on the Sassafras River? Tolchester?

Can't remember, but the topic would probably submit to Mr. Google.

-Chris
Old 02-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #30
Guru

City: Puget Sound
With all the talk about cored hulls, pretty much all FRP boats are cored above the waterline. Deck penetrations typically aren't given the consideration that below the waterline penetrations are. The end result is rain water rots coring above the waterline just like saltwater below. Being covered not only protects from sun damage but also from even more damaging rain.... Covered all the way especially in the PNW
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Texas
Vessel Name: Miss Adventure
Vessel Model: DeFever 49 CMY
In my area;
Wax lasts much longer
Hull growth much slower
Seems to be less window condensation
Eising glass takes less of a beating
Canvas ought to last a lot longer
A/C runs less
And the obvious one on the Texas Gulf Coast, Way cooler in the hottest part of the summer.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #32
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Remember that your satellite TV will not work under a roof where it cannot see the satellite. Also, when buying a boat kept under a roof, be aware that you won’t find the leaks until you get out from under and let the rain come down onto the boat. Usually after the sale is long completed.......

It was not until we left the covered slip that we discovered several leaks: one through the hinge screws on the hatch from poop deck to boat deck and another at a galley window. They were not hard to fix, but being under a roof meant there was no visible water mark or damage to indicate they were there during the survey. It was also a royal PITA to get the KVH dish upgraded and to get the Dish Network up and running. This involved relocating to a transient slip for multiple days several different times over several weeks to get it all sorted.

None of this is a big deal, but it is something to keep in mind if shopping a boat that lives under a roof.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #33

Covered Slips 365 Days a year

Thank you for all of the input. I am dead set on a covered slip now.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #34
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
That reminds me, there have been a few shed collapses around here from snow loads. Not immediately recently; maybe within the last 5-10 years, though. Seems to me most were upper Chesapeake, eastern side. Georgetown? Or somewhere else on the Sassafras River? Tolchester?

Can't remember, but the topic would probably submit to Mr. Google.

-Chris
Chris, the roof of one of the sheds at Bohemia Bay (extreme upper Eastern Shore) collapsed in 2010. We were there in 2014 and the job they did rebuilding it was impressive.

https://www.cecildaily.com/news/loca...cc4c03286.html
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:20 AM   #35
Guru

Yep, that sounds familiar, was probably one of the events I was half-remembering...

-Chris
Old 03-05-2019, 08:15 PM   #36
Mel

City: Madisonville
Vessel Name: Sissie
Vessel Model: Eagle 40
Covered Slips 365 Days a year

Click image for larger version

Name:	kvh.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	86118

Name:	kvh2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	86119

Name:	kvh3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	86120

Satellite TV works great in a covered slip if you move the antenna dome from the radar arch to the front of the boat. Sissie points south while in her slip. I probably will get lots of looks and comments but that is OK with me.
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote