Old 01-23-2023, 01:31 PM   #1

City: Glen Head NY
Vessel Name: MV Solstice
Vessel Model: 1985 Senator Sundeck Trawler
Clean Marinas

Big shoutout to my local Marina at Tappan Beach in Long Island NY.

They are one of the first in the nation to deploy a new solid waste skimmer called COLLECTHOR. With financial help from the local High School fundraising and some federal grants the system was deployed toward the end of the 2022 boating season and by all reports is a huge success.

This is a great solution to the dead pools of surface pollution that many marinas have that tend to back up in the still water areas that are not flushed by tides.

How great it would be if some of the expensive private marinas were to dig deep and deploy this tec to keep our waterways as clean as possible.

Read the full story below.

https://www.liherald.com/glenhead/st...d-sound,143416
michaelnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 03:22 PM   #2
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelnyc View Post
Big shoutout to my local Marina at Tappan Beach in Long Island NY.

They are one of the first in the nation to deploy a new solid waste skimmer called COLLECTHOR. With financial help from the local High School fundraising and some federal grants the system was deployed toward the end of the 2022 boating season and by all reports is a huge success.

This is a great solution to the dead pools of surface pollution that many marinas have that tend to back up in the still water areas that are not flushed by tides.

How great it would be if some of the expensive private marinas were to dig deep and deploy this tec to keep our waterways as clean as possible.

Read the full story below.

https://www.liherald.com/glenhead/st...d-sound,143416
What's a "dead pool of surface pollution"?
Old 01-23-2023, 03:29 PM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I saw these debris collectors back in 2014 installed in Baltimore Harbor.....

"Since the floating device was installed in May 2014, it has collected over a million pounds of garbage and debris, according to the Waterfront Partnership of Baltimore. It’s part of the partnership’s initiative to make Baltimore Habor swimmable and fishable by 2020."

https://www.insidehook.com/article/h...rbor-go-global
Attached Thumbnails
waterwheel2_030317-e1488573979542-1.jpg  
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 04:50 PM   #4
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Since my marina is on a river there is a lot of "stuff" that floats past every day. 90% is organic in nature. Wood, weeds, dead fish, etc. Although I don't see the need to pick up all the organic stuff nothing makes me more angry than styrofoam cups and cigarette butts.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 05:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Sounds like a great idea. It really irritates me when I see garbage and trash in the water. We live on a river and sometimes people upstream dump stuff in the river. I guess they think that since the current moves it downstream it isn’t their problem anymore. You would think that people that live on the water would respect the water more.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 05:29 PM   #6

City: Glen Head NY
Vessel Name: MV Solstice
Vessel Model: 1985 Senator Sundeck Trawler
Just the small pieces of trash, plastics, cups,toys,floating crap that gets stuck under and around the docks that doesn't get sucked out with the tide.
michaelnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 05:38 PM   #7
Guru

The link I posted above was one of the cleanup devices in Baltimore. I believe these were placed at the end of street runoff drains where obviously a huge amount of trash enters the water.

Seems they have helped quite a bit, haven't followed up on the different kinds that were supposedly towed and self propelled.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:30 PM   #8

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The link I posted above was one of the cleanup devices in Baltimore. I believe these were placed at the end of street runoff drains where obviously a huge amount of trash enters the water.

Seems they have helped quite a bit, haven't followed up on the different kinds that were supposedly towed and self propelled.

There’s at least 3 semi permanent and two that are operated around the harbor on a daily basis. They really do a get job getting the trash out of the harbor.

Maybe someday when Baltimoreans stop shooting each other they’ll start to properly dispose of their trash. Still a beautiful harbor to call home.

John
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:33 PM   #9
Guru

Thanks, didn't mean to sidetrack the OP too much...just wanted to point out the tech goes back a ways and it's success can be pretty good.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:10 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Sydney Harbour has these:
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:55 PM   #11
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
Makes me wonder if I should lobby my Safe Harbor marina management team to divert a few of the upgrade $$$ to adding one or more of these. We seem to have a pretty bad trash problem in our marina since it's at the end of a downwind leg of water. They have some dumpster device but it either doesn't work or they need more of them. I think it would be more beneficial than the fire pits they just installed.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:00 AM   #12

City: Melrose
Vessel Name: Quasimodo
Vessel Model: Cargile Cutter
Quote:

So it is now 2023. How went the 2020 target for swimming and fishing?
Cargile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:29 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargile View Post
So it is now 2023. How went the 2020 target for swimming and fishing?
I don't know....went out of my way to find the last link to let people know the tech is out there if they push to have it used. At least for aesthetics.

If you want swim and fish in Baltimore harbor feel free to do the research....letting us know would be kind also.

Of just think hard about what these machines are designed to do and their limitations when it comes to fishing and swimming.
Old 01-27-2023, 02:58 PM   #14

City: Melrose
Vessel Name: Quasimodo
Vessel Model: Cargile Cutter
Quote:
I don't know....went out of my way to find the last link to let people know the tech is out there if they push to have it used. At least for aesthetics.
If you want swim and fish in Baltimore harbor feel free to do the research....letting us know would be kind also.
Of just think hard about what these machines are designed to do and their limitations when it comes to fishing and swimming.

You may well be a saint for doing so. I haven't the tiniest inkling to be anyway near Baltimore. Go right ahead and be so kind as to let us know.
Cargile is offline   Reply With Quote