Clean Bath Rooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron T

Vessel Name
Grand Yankee
Vessel Make
1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
Please give opinions about marina rest rooms. So many nice marinas with dirty rest rooms. No AC. No Hot water. No hooks by shower. How to make your wife hate boating! Report the good, bad and ugly. Stopped at Georgetown Yacht Basin on Sassafras River. Great rest rooms. Little lady cleaning all the time. By Savannah, Thunderbolt Marina with nice bath house and great staff. Report your views to help us all. Thank you.

I totally agree and think that this forum should have a special place to report the good and bad ones. If the DW is not happy, no one is, as they say.

We belong to a Florida Council of Yacht Clubs member club for the reciprocity and the fact that most yacht clubs have clean facilities.

I have submitted several marina reviews to Active Captain and always mention the state of the restrooms and showers.

I also have a pet peeve about marinas which have restrooms shared with the bar. These are usually not cleaned until mid morning and are a wreck. I could name names...Why don't I name a couple???

Boca Grande Marina in SW Florida and the Ramada (Old Holiday Inn by airport) in Sarasota.

Last edited:
I hate dirty restrooms period and many public restrooms are bad. As to marinas, I think a lot depends on how public they are and who else they're shared with. As we don't use marina restrooms and showers, my experience is only from others, which brings me to my question.

Why do you use marina restrooms and showers vs those on your boat? What are the driving forces?

Why do you use marina restrooms and showers vs those on your boat? What are the driving forces?

For me, it is that wonderful feeling from the high pressure spray and unlimited water supply.
When I was marina bound, I replaced a shower head with a WaterPik wand with extension hose. Bliss.

I hate dirty restrooms period and many public restrooms are bad. As to marinas, I think a lot depends on how public they are and who else they're shared with. As we don't use marina restrooms and showers, my experience is only from others, which brings me to my question.

I agree with the "how public they are" part. Our marina facilities have coded locks on the doors for marina users only. I tie up at the government dock in Comox, BC. The washrooms are always clean and warm. There are shower and laundry facilities and a pump out station. I use the marina toilets cuz I don't want to use my own holding tank. No big deal to walk up the ramp to use the marina facilities.

"Why do you use marina restrooms and showers vs those on your boat? What are the driving forces?"

Unlimited hot water like a HIE, large restroom, wife and I can both be getting ready (and don't tell me you both fit on a 35' boat).

Large mirror with area to shave.

One less pump out.

Don't have to clean up afterwards.

I rest my case.

I'll use the marina restroom if I'm off the boat, not getting off the boat to use it. Not taking a shower in one either. 20 gallon water heater and plenty of water pressure was part of my refit. When I'm cruising, not going to wait in line or put up with a nasty bathroom. Have an 80 gallon holding tank, not getting off the boat to save a pump out.

Ted

Active Captain would seem to be a good place to report good or bad experiences with marinas. The marina owners and managers do read the reports there. I have had feedback from an owner when I posted on AC about his marina.

No way in the world I or my wife would use a public shower where people pee if not poo on the floor and have open festering wounds nits and crabs .They are great places to get all types of foot infections .And why have a shower on your boat if not going to use it

Bathrooms

No way in the world I or my wife would use a public shower where people pee if not poo on the floor and have open festering wounds nits and crabs .They are great places to get all types of foot infections .And why have a shower on your boat if not going to use it

Good reason to live in the States. Need to be more discriminating in choice of marinas.

Good reason to live in the States. Need to be more discriminating in choice of marinas.

No I'm happy here and don't kid yourself it doesn't happen in the best of the best.
All over the world you find people that use rest rooms and Don't clean up afterwards.:rolleyes:

We can be at a private club and both my wife and I will walk back to the boat before using public facilities. (Unless it's 10pm and I'm in the club bar ).
What's the point of having the boat and all that it is if you're going to camp.

Hoping for cleanliness when there only 2 showers for everybody is kind of futile unless you know the cleaning persons schedule. Bring your own flipflops and bleach.
Funny to me how every shower stall is "designed" and I use that term loosely. On our last trip it got to the point where using the showers became a game to what would happen when the water turned on. Freezing cold, scolding hot, or soak everything was pretty much normal. One marina's showers, all of them, had beautiful new tiles and fixtures, but the showerheads perfectly aimed at the bottom opening of the curtain (only one), shooting water out into the common area if you weren't standing in the way.:facepalm:

I'm way too much of a germ freak to shower in a public shower. Now, for those who do, please wear shower shoes. Still I couldn't do it. As to public restrooms, I use them for that which I can do standing, but avoid them if at all possible for the other. My wife does carry stuff with her for sterilizing toilet seats and we always cover them. I realize there are many other more likely ways to get infections. Probably more passed in hospitals than public restrooms and showers, although MRSA has run rampant through many showers and locker rooms.

I'd rather refill water, pump holding tanks, use more hot water, anything than public.

Does anyone have any reservations using public washers and dryers?

I'm way too much of a germ freak to shower in a public shower. Now, for those who do, please wear shower shoes. Still I couldn't do it. As to public restrooms, I use them for that which I can do standing, but avoid them if at all possible for the other. My wife does carry stuff with her for sterilizing toilet seats and we always cover them. I realize there are many other more likely ways to get infections. Probably more passed in hospitals than public restrooms and showers, although MRSA has run rampant through many showers and locker rooms.

I'd rather refill water, pump holding tanks, use more hot water, anything than public.

Me because of the same dirty people that use the showers.

We use the boat facilities. We like our own dirt, not someone else's.

Me because of the same dirty people that use the showers.

Glad I'm not the only one. All I can think of is dirty underwear or dirty towels from cleaning who knows what up.

I'm amazed at the number of people that have public toilet phobias. I prefer a clean public facilities over over a dirty ones but if needed, I'll use whatever is handy.

There have been studies that show your own phone or keyboard would have more germs than the average public toilet seat, but people have no issues with holding their phone to their lips.

AC revirws Johns

Active Captain would seem to be a good place to report good or bad experiences with marinas. The marina owners and managers do read the reports there. I have had feedback from an owner when I posted on AC about his marina.

Active captain as numerous reviews on nearly every marina. In most cases, I have found, reviewer's have discussed restrooms and showers, not to mention laundry facilities.

Gordon

Greetings,
Thread drift...There's a theory that the reason kids now have so many allergies is parent's obsessions with germs. Everything has to be sterilized and wiped down before little junior can touch it. Heck, kids can't even eat bugs now...

Regarding public bathrooms. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go...

That is my question as well.

Why would you use a public restroom or shower when you have a perfectly good one on your boat.

Heck, even a 24' cabin cruiser generally has a bathroom that has a shower drain.

I'm amazed at the number of people that have public toilet phobias. I prefer a clean public facilities over over a dirty ones but if needed, I'll use whatever is handy.

There have been studies that show your own phone or keyboard would have more germs than the average public toilet seat, but people have no issues with holding their phone to their lips.

Phone Soap Phone Sanitizer. Only problem is as soon as it started selling, phones got larger.

I thing you have been watching too much Channel 7 news :D

No way in the world I or my wife would use a public shower where people pee if not poo on the floor and have open festering wounds nits and crabs .They are great places to get all types of foot infections .
Yikes, hope that doesn`t reflect Berowra Marina! :eek:
The marina shower facilities I`ve accessed in Broken Bay/ Hawkesbury/Cowan, at Bobbin Head and Akuna Bay, were both well kept with none of those problems.
My marina avoids the problem altogether by not providing a shower. Onboard works fine, using their water and electricity.

I agree with the "how public they are" part. Our marina facilities have coded locks on the doors for marina users only. I tie up at the government dock in Comox, BC. The washrooms are always clean and warm. There are shower and laundry facilities and a pump out station. I use the marina toilets cuz I don't want to use my own holding tank. No big deal to walk up the ramp to use the marina facilities.

I was impressed with the restrooms and showers at Comox last summer. Really very nice.

Yikes, hope that doesn`t reflect Berowra Marina! :eek:
The marina shower facilities I`ve accessed in Broken Bay/ Hawkesbury/Cowan, at Bobbin Head and Akuna Bay, were both well kept with none of those problems.
My marina avoids the problem altogether by not providing a shower. Onboard works fine, using their water and electricity.

Berowra Marina lets say I'm ashamed of them

My sentiments as well. Folks really don't want to know what can be cultured from phones, keyboards, doorknobs etc....

I don't worry at all about using public restrooms or showers. If they are obviously dirty, I will pass, but I certainly am not worried about catching anything from sitting on a toilet seat or taking a shower.

Quite often the cleanliness issue is more a matter of users than marina facility management. I can see at my marina how people can be dirty. Reach the marina Saturday morning and everything is pristine clean, after a single night it is like a swine (is it the correct word?). People bring their muddy shoes leaving dirt everywhere, paper towel thrown on the floor, they don't even wipe the sink after using it. If most of people would care about a public facility as much as they care for their own ones it would stay clean.

L

........... Why do you use marina restrooms and showers vs those on your boat? What are the driving forces?

Using the marina restrooms cuts down on pumpout frequency.

The marina showers are larger than our boat shower and someone else cleans up afterwards. And there's usually unlimited high pressure hot water.

I'm paying for heads and showers, why not use them?

Last edited:

Agreed. There's no need and no point in having restroom reviews on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom