Charleston - Liveaboard Marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterDog

Vessel Name
WaterDog
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 44
Hi friends,

Our plans to head south for the winter are evolving, and are now are centered on Charleston. We'll leave Annapolis in mid November, and plan to spend December thru March or April in Charleston. Would appreciate hearing about anyone's experience living aboard in marinas there. Thanks!

Bill
WaterDog
KK44

Hi friends,

Our plans to head south for the winter are evolving, and are now are centered on Charleston. We'll leave Annapolis in mid November, and plan to spend December thru March or April in Charleston. Would appreciate hearing about anyone's experience living aboard in marinas there. Thanks!

Bill
WaterDog
KK44

I have spent much time at the City Marina, but we do not live aboard. It's great. I think they have a special running for this winter season.

If you'll have access to a car, Bohicket Marina is also very nice. It's a 20-30 minute drive into Charleston but it's not clear from their website if they allow live aboards. Worth checking out though as the Kiawah/Seabrook Island area has become our favorite destination in SC. Miles of uncrowded beaches, great restaurants, plenty of golf courses, lots of wildlife and excellent fishing/crabbing/shrimping (in season).

Rates & Amenities - Bohicket Marina, Johns Island, SC

I am currently staying at Ripley Light marina. A very protected marina but across from charleston on the Ashley river. Its next to California dreaming restaurant. The cable and wifi doesnt work so thats a down side but it the cheapest in town. You need a car for groceries and site seeing in Charleston. Its a short hop across the bridge. Its also very quite and doesnt have bridge noise like some marinas.

Look on Active Captain for the marinas in the area, then call the ones that look promising. Ask about living aboard your boat. A few months may not be considered "living aboard", just "staying aboard".

Are you set on Charleston?

If so...will you have a car and outskirts is OK...or is convenience to central hub and transportation critical?

Charleston Harbor Resort and marina would be my choice. easy access downtown via water taxi, free trolley or (not free) cab. It's across the river on Patriots point. Wicked current through the marina, i'd time an arrival.
We've spent some time there over the last few winters and like the place.

St Johns Yacht Harbor is the best place to stay. Good live aboard group, best facilities by far, best bathrooms on the east coast. They have nice vehicle for your use (2 hrs).
Only short coming is that you would need transportation to visit the great city of Charleston around 4 miles away.

St Johns Yacht Harbor is the best place to stay. Good live aboard group, best facilities by far, best bathrooms on the east coast. They have nice vehicle for your use (2 hrs).
Only short coming is that you would need transportation to visit the great city of Charleston around 4 miles away.

2 1/2 months later, no more word from the OP so assume they're somewhere. As to St. John's, the former Buzzard Bay I believe, it's a matter of what you're after. If you want to be within walking distance of everything then not the place. However, if you want a relaxed boating community with an excellent facility they are for you. Year round liveaboards are going to have cars so no issue and probably prefer fewer tourists. Short time visitors may prefer to be more in the middle of things.

After the storms their North parking lot is inaccessible due to bridge damage, but the trip by foot or cart from the South lot to the North dock isn't that far.

As to the need for transportation, if you really want to explore Charleston you're not going to walk it wherever you're docked. You'll only get a small piece of it. The lower rates at St. John's pay for a lot of taxi rides or car rentals.

While the Charleston City Marina and Ashley are the hot spots of tourists, there are many excellent marinas in Charleston. We like Charleston Harbor, but it's not as good for cruisers who intend to use the restrooms and showers as they're disappointing from what we've been told by those using them. Cooper River is nice and further away Toler's Cove.

Newbie here,
We were liveaboards at St Johns Yacht Harbor, before it was the St Johns Yacht Harbor.
On a 44' Marine trader trawler. Single screw. We liked it there. Tide can be tough, plan ahead. ( FYI please lock your boat and car, if you have one with alarm on car. We had ours stolen from the employees at the restaurant found 3 days later in Charleston. Finger prints in car but no action taken).
With the new management probably safer.
Best to all

If you'll have access to a car, Bohicket Marina is also very nice. It's a 20-30 minute drive into Charleston but it's not clear from their website if they allow live aboards. Worth checking out though as the Kiawah/Seabrook Island area has become our favorite destination in SC. Miles of uncrowded beaches, great restaurants, plenty of golf courses, lots of wildlife and excellent fishing/crabbing/shrimping (in season).

Rates & Amenities - Bohicket Marina, Johns Island, SC

I can confirm that Bohicket Marina is a liveaboard marina. I have a friend that lives there aboard a GB 42. 14' draft at low tide. Nice wide docks and finger piers.

Newbie here,
We were liveaboards at St Johns Yacht Harbor, before it was the St Johns Yacht Harbor.
On a 44' Marine trader trawler. Single screw. We liked it there. Tide can be tough, plan ahead. ( FYI please lock your boat and car, if you have one with alarm on car. We had ours stolen from the employees at the restaurant found 3 days later in Charleston. Finger prints in car but no action taken).
With the new management probably safer.
Best to all

Did you leave yours unlocked?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom