Old 05-30-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Catalina, Whites Cove

I have spent a lot of time at Avalon and Two harbors, on the mooring balls, but looking for some good anchor spots. Preferably 30 to 40 ft max depth, and sand. Has anyone spent any time at Whites on the hook? I know the Girl Scouts and another group have a camp and there are moorings . Can you squeeze in to some areas in between them? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:45 PM   #2

City: San Pedro, CA
Vessel Name: Boatless
Vessel Model: Dreamer
I can give your post a bump but not much advice... i've been on the mooring ball at Whites and i have known of yacht club members that anchor on the south side of two harbors... i believe they told me it was 90-feet deep!

Also possible to anchor just to the north of Emerald Bay but I have not done that either...

No help.

Carl
CarlinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:14 AM   #3
Opu

City: Oceanside
Vessel Name: Cheers
Vessel Model: Bayliner 32
I have seen boats anchored in the small inlets between Long Point and the Isthmus but I have not anchored in that area myself. The area around Whites is supposed to be good holding ground, and many of my friends have anchored there. Offhand I don't know much about the depths; check your charts.

Also, keep your eyes on the weather. The mainland side of Catalina is a lee shore when the Santa Ana winds are blowing. If you get caught out in those conditions you could duck around the east end and anchor below the Palisades.

Search for "Avalon Harbor" in YouTube for some storm videos from the Harbor.

Sorry I can't help more; on almost all of my two dozen plus trips to Catalina I have used fixed moorings.
Opu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
Guru

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the offshores can be nasty. I followed that ordeal closely when two people died a couple years ago. The charts show some good water with 30 to 40 ft depths, but I was wondering if there is open real estate in between the balls. I will try posting this in the west coast section as well. Cheers.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:36 AM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I once anchored at Whites just south of Hen Rock behind the mooring balls, between them and shore. There was plenty of swinging room for 5:1 scope and the water depth was moderate, maybe 30 feet.

I did see a boat that was anchored in front of the moorings in much deeper water drag when a thunderstorm came up. Don't know their scope, but it didn't look to be even 3:1.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:54 AM   #6

Take the good with the bad.

Catalina Island Company does a stellar job deploying and maintaining the moors but in the process has covered all of the previously anchorable area.

The Latitude 38 catamaran anchors to the seamount about a half mile off isthmus... bet that is 90 feet down too.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:41 AM   #7
Guru

DJ, thanks.

Carlin, I don't mind paying for a mooring ball in that area. I figured they were part of the girl scouts, and a yacht club and not open to the public. Are there moorings accessible to the public in Whites Cove? Same deal as TH or Avalon, ie, call the HP on 9 or 12 when there and request?
Old 05-31-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
Guru

City: West Coast
Often times, if we can't get a can at Avalon (or Descanso), we will anchor at Whites. Deeper than 30' as I recall, maybe 50 or 60.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Yes, the White's Landing moorings are managed by the same organization that handles the Two Harbors moorings. You can also reserve moorings. Go to their website- Mooring Reservations | Visit Catalina Island or call the harbor patrol on channel 9 when you get there.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
DJ, thanks.

Carlin, I don't mind paying for a mooring ball in that area. I figured they were part of the girl scouts, and a yacht club and not open to the public. Are there moorings accessible to the public in Whites Cove? Same deal as TH or Avalon, ie, call the HP on 9 or 12 when there and request?

Ha! yes, the balls at Whites can rented... funny, my last overnight on the mooring at thst location was perhaps five years ago... I motored into the mooring field with my mainsail still up. The attendent chewed me out for sailing though the moorings as he collected the money.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #11
Guru

Thanks for the intel on Whites. Headed out there in two weeks. I usually go July-Sep when the weather is nicer, but it was the only timeframe I could get my kids on board. Hoping this May Grey/June Gloom subsides, and the water warms up a bit. I was in yesterday with a spring suit and the water was chilly - about 63F.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #12

City: Long Beach
Vessel Model: '81 CHB34
We anchor at Whites Cove often. It's my preferred overnight spot if we are cove hopping during the day. Single hook in 40-55 feet outside the mooring field. I may be there this weekend.
winty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #13
Guru

Winty, have a good trip. You must go often, with the short channel crossing.

It's about a 90 mile run up from SD for us. We will be there 16, departing 17.

I figured I would go the mooring route. I have 200 ft of rode, so on the edge for those depths. Need to add more.

I noticed you have to reserve at least 3 nights, for on line, otherwise it's first come, first served for moorings?

when you call the HP, do they drive over from Avalon to meet you, or is a boat stationed there to take your numbers and $.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #14

Other than major holiday weekends, you won't need a reservation for that area.

Once you arrive at the cove, hail on channel 9 "whites harbor." There is a harbor boat in the cove, typically side tied to a live aboard sailboat. They can motor out and assist.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #15

I have 100' chain, 200 nylon. I usually pay out as little as 4:1 at whites cove and set two anchor alarms... If it is a calm night. I'm a light sleeper and check position often. We've anchored enough nights over the pass few years that we no longer stress and have sleepless nights on the hook.

If we go this weekend I'll post some images for you. Have a great trip.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:41 AM   #16
Opu

City: Oceanside
Vessel Name: Cheers
Vessel Model: Bayliner 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by winty View Post
We anchor at Whites Cove often. It's my preferred overnight spot if we are cove hopping during the day. Single hook in 40-55 feet outside the mooring field. I may be there this weekend.
Notice the phrase "outside the mooring field". Someone mentioned anchoring between the moorings. Don't do that. The moorings are fore and aft and with any changes in wind direction you would be playing bumper boats with the vessels that are moored because they won't swing.
Opu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #17
Guru

Thank you Gents.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #18

Here is a photo from the last week of June. We spent one night anchored out in front of Hen Rock on the west side of White's landing. 48' depth, 3:1 scope, small surge that week but very little wind.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #19

PhotoClick image for larger version

Name:	whites anchor.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	54071
Old 07-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by winty View Post
Here is a photo from the last week of June. We spent one night anchored out in front of Hen Rock on the west side of White's landing. 48' depth, 3:1 scope, small surge that week but very little wind.
Nice. Looks like a beautiful day.

Is that area sand, or a mix of sand and rock?