Build cover for in-water storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pavane

Vessel Name
Pavane
Vessel Make
CHB 34' 1978 North Sea Trawler
We plan to leave our Pavane in the water this winter, but want to spend time working on the superstructure, patching leaks and working on woodwork (don't worry, I will use a respirator!). A lot of people here in Juneau cover their boats with a PVC frame and heavy reinforced tarp (you buy it in 100-foot rolls). I think they use clamps that attach to the stanchions. We want to do something similar and are talking to neighbors, looking hard at their methods, etc., but I wonder if anyone has done something similar and has a step-by-step list, youtube video, or other reference? I do know from liveaboard neighbors at our last slip to leave openings fore and aft for the wind to move through; if not, you'll lose the cover no doubt.

I dug around on the forum and apologize if this is a repeat, and appreciate being redirected if so.

For those not familiar with Juneau, our winter weather is truly awful. We need to cover for snow anyway but also want to create this little oasis so we can work in dryness while the winter rages outside.

Thanks,
Michelle

Without a custom canvas cover and frame, your best bet is SHRINK WRAP. Up here in the Northeast, it's a common practice to shrink wrap boats, and most marinas have the expertise to wrap a boat, or hire a contractor to do it. It's a do-it-yourself option as well, assuming your marina doesn't object. If do-it-yourself, you can purchase all the materials and tools from several sources (eg Defender, Jamestown). You will need wrap, straps, tape, vents, zippered access hatches, and heat gun. Only down side, shrink wrap is relatively expensive and it's a one-time application. There are tons of Youtube videos showing the process. Here's a link from Jamestown Distributors.

I coincidentally just posted about a boat-cover we made. See other thread...

What kind of boat do you have? I do a half wrap around the stern, just enough to wrap in the windows. I then use heavy ribbon to tie off the wrap to the railings on the upper helm. I'm not worried about snow every few weeks I just shovel it off the bow and upper helm.

Attachments

• 10686764_10154816100675375_7606633279300426010_n.jpg
    10686764_10154816100675375_7606633279300426010_n.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 121

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom