Bomar hatches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iggy

Guru
Vessel Make
Pacific Trawler 40
I have a 2001 Pacific Trawler. With that said, my Bomar hatch has stress cracks in it.

I called Bomar, they gave me a part# for a new lens/glass. Cost was $300 I called Defender and ordered it. Well it came with 2 extra holes. Long story short in talking with Bomar, they never should have made it! Why, they don't have the plans and someone made the new lens by mistake.

Though the years that hatch has changed according to Bomar. Hardware and maybe size. They don't know, since they don't have the plans!

They said to go to a glass place and have the lens made up. Of course is not glass, some sort of plastic or acrylic. Custom made I would think would be in the $400 to $500 range.

OR, for $900 buy a whole new hatch!

Has anyone come across this problem and was there a better way to resolve this??

I have replaced the plastic in hatches before. Don’t remember what plastic exactly that I used. A local shop used the old plastic as a template and it is a simple job to route a new one with a patterning bit. The key is what caulk/adhesive to use. I first tried 5200 and if failed miserably. Then I tried Sika 295UV I think. It is made to stick to plastic. Look for a local custom plastic shop. You may be surprised how reasonable it is. I even went a bit thicker for strength. Ask their advice as to what plastic to use for UV protection.

I just replaced a lens this week.

I think I've identified mine as a Bomar 100 series hatch. 139 I think. They don't make it any more, and the hole in the deck doesn't match any new hatch - of any brand - I could find. So it was off to the glass place with the old lens.

They said it was 1/2" plexiglass. They made up a new one for $200. The only reason it was that much was they had trouble sourcing the material and had to waste a much larger sheet. The guy who does their installs talked to me for a while about the correct install procedure, and they sold me a tube of the right bedding material for $24. The install went smoothly and it's already survived its first rain storm.

I tryed to take the the old lens out. After 21 years the AL bolts are frozen. I broke the head of one of them. I first used a screw gun and then went to a Impact.

Bomar said that after 21 years they don't have any parts for my hatch. Stating that from one year to the next that they make small changes. Resulting in a completely different hatch in that time.

Bottom line, I now need a whole new hatch! I tryed to take more bolts out, but no go without breaking them and if I can't get parts.

In my case the plexiglass came out by cutting and pulling out the bedding material (a silicone base) around it. I tried taking the opening part or "cover" off, but the hinge pin was bent and corroded in place, and wouldn't budge. The base, non-moving part was firmly bedded and I'm glad I didn't have to remove it. If I had, I would have figured out a way to install a new hatch.

Back
Top Bottom