Old 05-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #1
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Boat Yard Recommendations for the St. Johns River

Hello all of you attractive young people.

I find myself with more money than usual, and less time to spend it than usual. I figure if I can't use the boat for cruising, I may as well take the opportunity to have some work done. She's currently in Brunswick, GA, but I have very little faith in their boat yard. I'm considering relocating to somewhere nearby, possibly in the Jax area, where I can hire a small army of trustworthy and skilled tradeswizards to descend upon my humble ark, and lavish her with love and maintenance and improvements.

I'd like to have her hauled, since it's been almost two years now since her bum was last dry. She needs a general inspection of the wetted surface and running gear, replaced anodes, and some seacock maintenance and repairs.

I'd like to install air conditioning.

My refrigerator has also recently died, and that needs to be repaired or replaced.

I'd also like to finally get that damn sun shade fabricated over the sundeck. I've heard good things about Morgan Metals in the Jax area, and will try to hire them for the job. Top Stitch canvas is already working on some window shades for me, and they can do the soft parts of the aft deck shade. Hopefully Morgan can also modify my anchor pulpit so that I can bring the hook all the way home and not dig into the bow any more.

There are a few other piddly little projects, like installing my new swim ladder, and doing a 250 hour service on Perkins, and a service on the genny.

Where would you take your sweetheart for a refit like this? Is the St. Johns a fairly safe hurricane hole? She'll likely be there for the bulk of hurricane season.

Thanks in advance! You look great today, by the way.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:06 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
I would look at one of the yards on the Ortega River. Huckins, Lamb’s or Sadler Point.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:12 PM   #3

City: NE Florida
I don't know anything about it other than living nearby and it looks like lots of activity there...Holland Marine & or Green Cove Springs Marina....both in Green Cove Springs

I think that the Marina is a big DIY place, and Holland looks to be what you're looking for...

Again, I know nothing of their reputation or abilities....
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:28 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I think Larry M has been in the area quite awhile and had various major work done...I would trust his recommendations without doubt.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:34 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Great advice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I think Larry M has been in the area quite awhile and had various major work done...I would trust his recommendations without doubt.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:45 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Thunderbolt near Savannah has an excellent reputation.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:11 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Thunderbolt near Savannah has an excellent reputation.
Dave, I know nothing about Thunderbolt, but one advantage I see in Savannah is that I believe it is above the "hurricane belt" for insurance purposes . . . Will your insurance cover you in Jacksonville during hurricane season?
Just a thought!

Also, if you find that you have so much money that the boat projects can't soak it all up, (is that actually possibly?), you can send some our way as we're going to hopefully be at the boat by the end of June and the outfitting will begin!
Once again, just a thought. But remember, I was first in suggesting a way out of your "hole" with regarding all that coin!
Old 05-17-2021, 08:28 PM   #8
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I’m at The Marina at Ortega landing in Jax right across from Larry’s old boat he just sold. Don’t know anything about yards around here because I’m such an excellent DIYer (that’s a joke), but Larry told me this was an excellent hurricane hole. And it’s a really nice marina IMO. Nice pool and other facilities. Close to shopping.

Come on down! We can drink beers!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:40 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: Ft. Pierce Fl
Lambs is a top notch full service yard.
Mortensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:04 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
For the bottom work I’d go to Sadler’s. For the AC an miscellaneous work, I’d talk to Eric, New Point Marine. Both are good communicators, honest and rates are favorable.

New Point Marine | Jacksonville, FL 32234

https://www.sadlerpoint.com/

Lambs would be my second choice. They are a full service yard but you do pay for that ($$). Eric also works in Lambs yard.

JAX is a good location being 20 minutes from the airport and a good hurricane hole. If you leave your boat in the water, I’d use one of the marinas that has floating docks.

Let us know if you make it to JAX, we still live near the marinas.

Edit: I’d talk to all the parties and also talk schedules. The boat yards are jammed right now. I talked one of the owners last month and he was trying to hire 6 people.

Canvas? We haven’t had any canvas work done but the dock talk is about schedules and promises. Boatswain’s Locker was booked out till June and that was last month.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:18 AM   #11
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
If you venture south of Ft Lauderdale, I will provide you a name of a yard, canvas man, stainless man, and cabinet maker (shipwright). I would suggest you discuss your needs and desires with the shipwright, listen to his suggestion and watch. LOL He is more than capable of shepherd the entire project. I will tell you, I have been very satisfied with his work. You wont be disappointed. He will be more than happy to relieve you of your excess money.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #12

City: Eastcoast
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
I've spent quite a bit of time on the St Johns in the last couple years. I definitely would second or third the recommendation for Lamb's Yacht Center. Still a family-run business, yes, not cheap but if you want it done right its worth it.
Lamb's also has covered storage (not liveaboard). Lamb's and Ortega landing area is about 24 miles inland from the coast. Sat through hurricane Dorian there in 2019 and just got some gusting wind but boat was safe.
For canvas there we had a good experience with Pat's Canvas.
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
Dave, I know nothing about Thunderbolt, but one advantage I see in Savannah is that I believe it is above the "hurricane belt" for insurance purposes . . . Will your insurance cover you in Jacksonville during hurricane season?
Just a thought!

Also, if you find that you have so much money that the boat projects can't soak it all up, (is that actually possibly?), you can send some our way as we're going to hopefully be at the boat by the end of June and the outfitting will begin!
Once again, just a thought. But remember, I was first in suggesting a way out of your "hole" with regarding all that coin!
Haha, I don't think Jeff Bezos could find a boat that wouldn't take all the money he could throw at it.

I did review my insurance policy, and had a nice chat with Pete the Insurance Wizard, and I should be in good shape there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Come on down! We can drink beers!
Don't threaten me with a good time!

Thank you for the leads and local knowledge, everybody. I've got some phone calls to make, and some figurin' to do.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Washington State PNW
Vessel Name: Island Comfort
Vessel Model: Monk 38
Green Cove Springs. up the St. Johns river.

excellent work there, and you can work on your own boat, I have had good luck there. Good prices as well.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:04 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Boat yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Hello all of you attractive young people.

I find myself with more money than usual, and less time to spend it than usual. I figure if I can't use the boat for cruising, I may as well take the opportunity to have some work done. She's currently in Brunswick, GA, but I have very little faith in their boat yard. I'm considering relocating to somewhere nearby, possibly in the Jax area, where I can hire a small army of trustworthy and skilled tradeswizards to descend upon my humble ark, and lavish her with love and maintenance and improvements.

I'd like to have her hauled, since it's been almost two years now since her bum was last dry. She needs a general inspection of the wetted surface and running gear, replaced anodes, and some seacock maintenance and repairs.

I'd like to install air conditioning.

My refrigerator has also recently died, and that needs to be repaired or replaced.

I'd also like to finally get that damn sun shade fabricated over the sundeck. I've heard good things about Morgan Metals in the Jax area, and will try to hire them for the job. Top Stitch canvas is already working on some window shades for me, and they can do the soft parts of the aft deck shade. Hopefully Morgan can also modify my anchor pulpit so that I can bring the hook all the way home and not dig into the bow any more.

There are a few other piddly little projects, like installing my new swim ladder, and doing a 250 hour service on Perkins, and a service on the genny.

Where would you take your sweetheart for a refit like this? Is the St. Johns a fairly safe hurricane hole? She'll likely be there for the bulk of hurricane season.

Thanks in advance! You look great today, by the way.
I have not used them but when I was going to have a complete refit done I spoke with Huckins and they were going to be able to do everything I wanted. I believe they have been there since before WW 2.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Ursa Major
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54
Another option near Thunderbolt is the Hinkley yard. Quality work and the rates in GA are a little less than FL. We winter at Ortega Landing as others on this post do. The yards near there are good too.

Paul
Sangraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #17
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Huckins has always proven capable, but they can be quite pricey. Sadler Point is good to do business with.

The Marina at Ortega Landing is a terrific place for boats and boaters.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:32 AM   #18

City: Sarasota
Vessel Name: Stout
+1 for Huckins. They did a bunch of work for my krogen when I first purchased her (cutlass, bottom job, prop balance, zincs, dripless). During that time, I was installing A/C on the boat. I plan to take her back there to get the hull painted. Got a decent price. Their craftsmanship is evident in the boats they build and those guys work on your boat.
captks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:46 AM   #19
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Can't speak to boatyards in Jax, but I second Larry's recommendation for Eric/New Point Marine. Very responsive, very reasonable.

Also confirm Ortega Landing is top notch! We also have other friends there who winter in the islands and then return to Ortega for the hurricane season... so as long as your insurance permits, it's a really very, very nice place!

-Chris
Old 06-01-2021, 12:00 PM   #20
Guru

Thanks again to everyone for the excellent information. As of right now, I'm planning to take Sylphide down to the Ortega River area sometime around the end of June for her refit. I haven't made any reservations yet, but it sounds like I'll be fairly spoiled for choice. I've got work to do on assembling my work list before I make any more specific plans.

I guess I didn't realize just how much of TF's Atlantic Fleet was based there! It'd be lovely to meet some of y'all fine folks.