Boat Lifting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daviddraper

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Andiamo
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 Trawler
I just had a 24,000lb boat lift installed off the back of my house on the West side Florida intercostal. The intention is to lift a yet-to-be-purchased Mainship 34.
Has anyone setup lift bunks for a Mainship 34? My concern is that my lift came with a straight lower beams with 12" high bunks. Will 12" be high enough to space the bunks wide enough without the boat bottoming out on the beam. Has anyone lifted a 34?
I need to lift as I don't have enough water to float the boat at low tide.

Is this the older 1980s Mainship classic 34 or the 2000 era 34T. The 34T has a wide 14' beam and you will need much more than a 12" high bunk to support it outboard.

Look on Yachtworld for some photos of the boat on the hard to see the deadrise you have to deal with.

David

Last edited:
If it's a later version these dimensions may help a little.

You will have to scale to get the dimensions you need.

Attachments

• MS34HT Trwlr Dimns .pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
  • MS34HT Trwlr Dimns 2.pdf
    511.3 KB · Views: 63
  • MS34HT Trwlr Dimns 1.pdf
    625.3 KB · Views: 53
Don:

I think you posted duplicates of the plan view and missed the critical forward or aft view.

David

Last edited:
Show the drawings above to your lift installer I think you need more than just two straight bunks.

Call 727-736-4529. This is deco boat lifts office. They build boat lifts and design the lift specifically for each boat. Tell them what you have and they will tell you how to set it up. Or you could call the number on your lift and they will help.

Don:

I think you posted duplicates of the plan view and missed the critical forward or aft view.

David

David
I know manual didn't have the aft view and the pics I had of aft didn't show it well...onlt the transom which is deceiving as its fairly flat.

Thanks everyone for the responses thus far!
Anyone have a front view drawing of the MS 34 (2005+) showing the height from bottom of the 'V' (the deadrise)?

Have you talked to those who sold you and installed your lift about adapting it to your boat when you get one? Often that is part of the purchase. Other times, perhaps a charge, but still might be worth it.

I kept my previous boat a Camano 31 (28' hull) on a hoist, a High Tide "Gear Drive" I bought optional chocks to help support and mainly to steady the aft portion of the hull. The hoist manufacturer supplied the metal chock frame I supplied and cut the wood to fit the hull angle. It was very convenient to keep the Camano on the hoist (at my fishing camp) easy to do touch up of bottom paint and maintenance to running gear etc.

Attachments

• Spirit on hoist bow view.jpg
    Spirit on hoist bow view.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 242
  • Picture pre 03-2006 424.jpg
    Picture pre 03-2006 424.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 231
  • Picture pre 03-2006 425.jpg
    Picture pre 03-2006 425.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 215
  • Picture pre 03-2006 189.jpg
    Picture pre 03-2006 189.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 233
Have you talked to those who sold you and installed your lift about adapting it to your boat when you get one? Often that is part of the purchase. Other times, perhaps a charge, but still might be worth it.

The lift people will come back and help set things up once I get the boat. Just trying to be pro-active so that when the day comes there are no surprises like "we didn't expect that much dead rise", etc.

The lift people will come back and help set things up once I get the boat. Just trying to be pro-active so that when the day comes there are no surprises like "we didn't expect that much dead rise", etc.

Take photos for them but otherwise I don't know much that can really be done until it's there, unless you can get drawings from the builder. It's not a big job to get whatever is needed and adjust the lift. Very standard and routine activity.

Note on my pictures that the keel of the boat rests on a block of wood sitting on the lift cross beam the bunks. The bottom picture was taken before these blocks were installed. I noticed when I sold the Camano and removed the wooden blocks there was pitting of the aluminum cross beams where the blocks sat that area stayed wet most of the time and the salt worked on the Al. something to keep an eye on if you go that route. Maybe a layer of something to avoid that? The Camano lived there 2004-2008, now my Whaler Montauk sits on the bunks, the wood blocks removed.

Many folks with a "new" boat will have it hauled for a survey.

It is a good idea to place a strip of masking tape on deck locating where the hoist slings are , or where they should have been placed.

Eventually a "STRAP" ,, "SLING" or "HOIST" sign can be glued down to help the next time she comes out..

I kept my previous boat a Camano 31 (28' hull) on a hoist, a High Tide "Gear Drive" I bought optional chocks to help support and mainly to steady the aft portion of the hull. The hoist manufacturer supplied the metal chock frame I supplied and cut the wood to fit the hull angle. It was very convenient to keep the Camano on the hoist (at my fishing camp) easy to do touch up of bottom paint and maintenance to running gear etc.
Steve, thanks for the info. It got me looking at Camano's as an option - a boat I hadn't been considering. It very well could be a better option for us given that a MS 34 is right at the limit of my lift's capacity.

You said you had the Camano for 4 years. Why did you sell it, and what from your perspective were the pros/cons (other than the obvious tight quarters in cabin, head and galley).

From a lifting perspective, you said you rested the keel directly on the lift's cross beams using a block of wood. Was this not a lot of pressure on two relatively small areas as apposed to spreading the weight across the bunk boards? Your two optional chocks also appear to have a very small surface area, these didn't scuff/damage the hull at point of contact? Please don't take this as a criticism, I'm genuinely interested in how well the setup worked.

And lastly, one more question. I read that if you putt along in a Camano at slow displacement speed of 6 knots, you can achieve 1 gal/hr of fuel burn. Do you believe that to be a correct statement?

Thanks for posting,
David

David, I sold the Camano mainly because I had plans to do some longer range cruising on down the islands to Puerto Rico and the V.I.s, that didn't work out. A couple of things we really wanted that the Camano didn't have were, walk around decks for easy access to the bow, and separate shower stall. The Camano's saloon and lower helm are quite roomy and comfortable but at the cost of no walk around side decks, the flying bridge area is large also. It is a very well made boat no exterior wood which I find a plus.
I never noticed any damage to the hull on the hoist or any out of the ordinary deflection of the cross beams but a check with the manufacturer of the lift might be a good idea. No damage to the hull but some scuffing of the bottom paint mainly because the slip used to silt in and sometimes in low tides the boat pushed the cradle down into the mud to get low enough for lifting or backing off. Being on the lift it is easy to touch up bottom paint.
I did install a floscan in the Camano below is a picture of the chart showing actual fuel consumption and speed in K, per GPS, done in a bay, calm water. The engine was a Volvo TAMD41P I believe 210 or 220 hp.
I sold her to a guy in Sweden he had it shipped over there.
Any other questions let me know

Attachments

• Floscan 2.jpg
    Floscan 2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 155

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom