Old 06-09-2021, 08:57 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Yup, that does calc out. you got me, I have not seen a boathouse under $50K worth considering. Is that a common price or a one off. Does not matter, I would not spend the extra $7200 either annually
Steve
I don't know what small boathouses cost, but I do know of a couple of 50 to 60' houses in Ladysmith that cost $180k or so 10 years ago, and $1200/yr moorage. Depreciated and resold 5 yrs ago one got under 100k back. Those numbers may rise in the present environment.
Mine is rented from the YC, so I get no appreciation or depreciation, just lose the advantage of having it should I give it up.
Lohman covers were $100/ft for a long time. He has recently elevated his prices to reflect the demand, so now over $150/ft. Hard guy to get on the phone, but does a great cover.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:49 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Steve
I don't know what small boathouses cost, but I do know of a couple of 50 to 60' houses in Ladysmith that cost $180k or so 10 years ago, and $1200/yr moorage. Depreciated and resold 5 yrs ago one got under 100k back. Those numbers may rise in the present environment.
Mine is rented from the YC, so I get no appreciation or depreciation, just lose the advantage of having it should I give it up.
Lohman covers were $100/ft for a long time. He has recently elevated his prices to reflect the demand, so now over $150/ft. Hard guy to get on the phone, but does a great cover.
Thanks Keith, good info as always. I did have a quote from Lohman last year. The cost was agreeable, but we opted out as we use the boat monthly as a floating condo at the dock even if we do not go out. A full cover did not make sense to be in a cocoon onboard. Also as Pete said, it is not a 5 minute job putting on/off.
Things change year by year. Had a boat in a boathouse once when working full time made sense.

Old 06-10-2021, 02:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: LaConner, WA
Vessel Name: Synergy
Vessel Model: Hershine TriCabin Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
We are in the process of purchasing our first boat - a 1986 Hershine 42”. It has been kept in a saltwater boathouse by the original owner all of its life and is in beautiful condition.
KarenG: Congrats on the new boat...and we have at least 2 things in common. My boat is 1985 38' Hershine. And I live just south of you in Port Orchard, and lastly, just purchased a boathouse.

To answer your questions, it all comes down to budget. But also consider that in WA state, new boathouse construction is no longer allowed, so your purchase will retain its value and become equity. Moorage, by an large, is not equity, but a rental fee.

Now for the difference between indoors and outdoors. The reason your Hershine looks so beautiful now is that it was in a protected environment and well cared for (both advantages when buying). If you were to take the same boat into the PNW weather for 2 years, you would see a lot of differences, and you would spend much more time with maintenance and upkeep than actual cruising.

I have experienced open moorage (with and without canvases), common cover, and now boathouse. Hands down, the boathouse provides what the others cannot. And you get much more time on the water because your upkeep is much less.

Some other considerations. Yesterday, I was waxing the flybridge, but it was pouring rain outside. Dry inside the boathouse !! Bottom line...with rain from Oct to May, you can still be dry inside the boathouse for whatever task brings you there. In my boathouse, I have a huge workbench, spacious loft, all my power tools, and everything I need to repair/maintain the boat, and.....none of those tools reside on the boat itself anymore. Before I moved into the boathouse, my boat itself was a floating repair shop, with varnishes, brushes, sandpaper, tool kits, spare parts (yada, yada). To cruise with guests, I had to transfer all my repair stuff into my car in order to make room for the guests. Now, with the boathouse, its just lift the curtain and start the engines. The boat is always ready to cruise.

Here is sort of the final arbitrator. If you ask anyone who has a boathouse if they would ever go back to open moorage with canvas/tarps, the answers is always no....

The Hershines are great boats and your are buying one in great condition now. Thats a winning combination. Take that as a clue and make the decision that is right for you. I realize its an hours drive away and more money than you planned, which definitely does factor in. But I 'bought up' to a boathouse and now have no regrets at all.

Hope this helps

And photos please !!
Old 06-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #24

City: Poulsbo
Great discussion - thank you

I appreciate reading all of your experiences and thoughts about this. We were unable to find uncovered moorage closer than 45 minutes away, so the hour drive is tolerable to us. The difference in moorage price in this situation is only about $100 a month, plus the capital outlay for the boat house, so it pencils out a bit better than the option you had, Dragonflyer. By the way, you live in one of my favorite places & I hope to be boating up there one day!
Thanks again, everyone, for weighing in on this.
KarenG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:21 AM   #25

City: Poulsbo
Thank you, Cheechako

This is so helpful; thank you!
We’re in the mechanical inspection/fluid analysis process now, and will for sure post photos when it’s all completed. She is a beautiful boat, and I’m so glad to hear that you have been happy with yours. Would love to hear more of your thoughts about Hershines! Glad you found a boat house in Pt. Orchard - not easy to do nowadays.

KarenG is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boathouse, canvas covers, hershine, rookie, storage