Boat house vs. custom (canvas) cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although I own my slip, I doubt if the harbor master would look kindly at me building a boat house. LOL

I’m sure the boat house would always have value. It may be an appreciating asset. If it doesn’t work out , you may make money. If it does you will not regret buying it.

Agreed. We're in a boathouse in Port of Everett and it is common that the boathouse is worth much more than the boat!

Agreed. We're in a boathouse in Port of Everett and it is common that the boathouse is worth much more than the boat!

Weeeelllll, not so true post-2008 financial meltdown. Boat houses in Everett could be had for a song, and remained a scourge on the market for years. And woe betide the Everett boat house owner who's boat house won't fit into the Port's "Master Plan". Bye-bye. In my opinion (IMHO), owning a boathouse is like owning two boats simultaneously. Both come with pros and cons, and both come and go, often at differing times. Owning a boat house that is too small to satisfy your "two-foot-itis" itch gives you THREE floating assets to deal with simultaneously. One you no longer want, one you do, and one (if it's too small) a PIA to deal with.

Boats and boat houses are illiquid assets, and can become albatrosses around your neck, often for reasons out of your control. And to assume a boathouse is an APPRECIATING asset is not wise, as there is a VERY limited market. And to assume they're maintenance-free is hopelessly naive. Lucky is the house owner that hasn't faced marina-mandated float inspection and replacement, electrical issues, siding replacement, insurance issues, etc. And these days, one can't simply up-anchor and move the silly thing, should marina preferences change, or a buyer want the boathouse somewhere else. And although it's obviously easy to fit a boat into a larger boat house, it's not so easy (usually impossible) to squeeze into one that's too small. And too-large boat houses are EXPENSIVE.

COVERED moorage, however, is much more likely to be a leasable asset from the marina. Therefore more likely to be significantly more liquid, should circumstances change. And while a boat house provides an unsurpassed luxurious home for your prized yacht, boat sheds are a close second. Taking a long, hard look at the financial implications of boat house ownership is well worth doing pre-purchase. And should you find one that fits your boat, in your mariana of choice, that is available for long-term lease or rent, you've truly found a unicorn.

Having owned boats in and out of covered moorage in the PNW (sheds and houses) for decades, I vastly prefer a boat house. But, as I'm not financially in that stratosphere, I find myself typically in a leased boat shed. Like all things maritime, everything's a compromise. You pays your money, you makes your choice.

Regards,

Pete

jungpeter said:
Weeeelllll, Like all things maritime, everything's a compromise. You pays your money, you makes your choice.
Too much to quote the whole thing but I like everything Pete said.
The only question I have is what do all the Lohman lovers do with that lump when out cruising?

Too much to quote the whole thing but I like everything Pete said.
The only question I have is what do all the Lohman lovers do with that lump when out cruising?

For my 44', the Lohman cover fit into 4 bags, + one for the poles. Each of the bags weighed under 50 lbs. On the day of removal, all would fit in the back of my SUV, to be stored in the basement at home.
I bought that cover used, set it up on my boat while moored in the Gulf islands while vacationing in Europe for a month, then removed it to my basement to go cruising.
I considered moving my moorage permanently to the Gulf Islands to be closer to home, but after using the Lohman cover, didn't think the loss of the shelter, though further away from home, justified. I was able to sell the cover again with no loss.

koliver said:
On the day of removal, all would fit in the back of my SUV, to be stored in the basement at home.

You didn't need to wash and dry it before stowing it? No seagulls on Salt Spring?

You didn't need to wash and dry it before stowing it? No seagulls on Salt Spring?

No.
All of the Saltspring seagulls are painting my tonneau cover white as we speak. None are at the YC outstation as things there are busy enough to send them away.
I will be power washing my tonneau cover next week, when I move off my mooring bouy.
Otters have lessened my concerns about Seagull droppings.

Covers only last so long. We managed to get 10 years from one in the PNW, but it was “green” after a few seasons as the water proofing wore out. It was made of Sunbrella. I pulled it off, lay it out in the yard and scrubbed it...but it could only get so clean. The thread finally gave out and it literally began to fall apart last winter. Our boat is also considerably smaller than your new boat and donning/ doffing it takes time; convenient it’s not.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom