Old 05-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Any Cruising Restrictions Between Norfolk and Albany?

Greetings attractive young people,

I've been on the big boat for the last five weeks, and was sufficiently busy there to have completely fallen out of the loop with the current state of the cruising world. I just got back to Sylphide last night, and after a few days of settling in, stocking up, and securing for sea, I'd like to head north.

It looks like MD has lifted it's ban on boating. Are there any other potential stumbling blocks along the way? Has anyone had any difficulty transiting New York Harbor?

I don't have any expectations about being able to use the NY State Canals this summer. I've decided to make a home for myself somewhere in the upper Hudson River. I'll be close enough to my house that I can commute back and forth without too much trouble. Hopefully I'll be able to get the dirt castle cleaned up and put on the market before June is out.

Thanks Gang!
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:48 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Didn't realize you were in Norfolk. I would have waved. Went through there and came up the bay yesterday to Crisfield. Yes it seems Maryland has lifted the recreational boating ban but no open restaurants yet. Almost defeats the purpose of going cruising when you can't reward yourself with a night out after sitting in a helm chair all day.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:49 AM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Waterway Guide has been keeping a pretty comprehensive list of all the various issues.

https://www.waterwayguide.com/?utm_s...rts+05-22-2020

You can also call ahead to various marinas along the way, as well as your towing service, and get up to the minute local knowledge.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:06 AM   #4
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
I don't know of anything that would stop you from getting to Albany. As far as the canals go, based on the last info I've seen, you'd probably be able to start a canal transit in early to mid August. So if you wanted, you could make your way up further for a few weeks at the end of summer.

Once the full canal system opening is a bit more nailed down, if you do decide to head up to Oneida Lake, let me know. If we're getting the itch to roam a bit, I could make the west end of Oneida lake in about 10 hours of running from here. And it would be an honor to appear in one of the great Sylphide stories.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
When we were heading north in March, restaurants were closed but usually offered carry-out -- and some offered delivery. Mostly we got food from whatever the local on-site eatery was, when there was one. I'd imagine that's still viable...

And then we had a boatload of food onboard anyway, for when restaurants weren't available. In fact, we tried to use the restaurants more so to help keep them in business and to conserve what we had onboard... since we weren't sure what resupply would be like once we got home.

-Chris
Old 05-23-2020, 11:40 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
When we were heading north in March, restaurants were closed but usually offered carry-out -- and some offered delivery. Mostly we got food from whatever the local on-site eatery was, when there was one. I'd imagine that's still viable...

And then we had a boatload of food onboard anyway, for when restaurants weren't available. In fact, we tried to use the restaurants more so to help keep them in business and to conserve what we had onboard... since we weren't sure what resupply would be like once we got home.

-Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Didn't realize you were in Norfolk. I would have waved. Went through there and came up the bay yesterday to Crisfield. Yes it seems Maryland has lifted the recreational boating ban but no open restaurants yet. Almost defeats the purpose of going cruising when you can't reward yourself with a night out after sitting in a helm chair all day.

Ted
Welcome home! I hope your trip was a pleasant one. Technically I'm in Hampton, sewn to the dock at Salt Ponds. I think after three weeks of quarantine, and almost six weeks of stress eating at work, I could probably stand to miss a few restaurants anyway, lol. With things warming up as they are, I'll be just as happy with a nice refreshing swim at the end of the day. There should be a category for 'swimmin' holes' on active captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Waterway Guide has been keeping a pretty comprehensive list of all the various issues.

https://www.waterwayguide.com/?utm_s...rts+05-22-2020

You can also call ahead to various marinas along the way, as well as your towing service, and get up to the minute local knowledge.
Hey there's an idea. I always forget about BoatUS. Waterway guide looks clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I don't know of anything that would stop you from getting to Albany. As far as the canals go, based on the last info I've seen, you'd probably be able to start a canal transit in early to mid August. So if you wanted, you could make your way up further for a few weeks at the end of summer.

Once the full canal system opening is a bit more nailed down, if you do decide to head up to Oneida Lake, let me know. If we're getting the itch to roam a bit, I could make the west end of Oneida lake in about 10 hours of running from here. And it would be an honor to appear in one of the great Sylphide stories.
It would be an honor and a pleasure to write you in! Heading to CNY isn't off the table, but I'm not planning on it. Who knows, my work schedule is about as well sorted as the canal opening schedule at this point, so I'll have to play it by ear. It's only a three day leisure cruise between the Hudson and Oneida Lake, so maybe I'll squeeze it in. We shall see. Maybe we could get Senor Bacchus in on it, and have a little TF meet up somewhere. I'll bring the pinata!
Old 05-23-2020, 12:44 PM   #7
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
It would be an honor and a pleasure to write you in! Heading to CNY isn't off the table, but I'm not planning on it. Who knows, my work schedule is about as well sorted as the canal opening schedule at this point, so I'll have to play it by ear. It's only a three day leisure cruise between the Hudson and Oneida Lake, so maybe I'll squeeze it in. We shall see. Maybe we could get Senor Bacchus in on it, and have a little TF meet up somewhere. I'll bring the pinata!
Good idea!
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Party.... did someone mention a party?
Like everyone else we are locked in on Seneca Lk but no big cruise plans this year so would welcome a TF rendezvous when things open up.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:49 PM   #9

City: H20
Vessel Name: OLOH
Vessel Model: 60 Jefferson Marquessa Motor Yacht
Zero issues on the Hudson other than the usual spring debris. Shady Harbor in New Baltimore is an excellent option, in our opinion, to stay or stage south of Albany. They're very keyed into what's happening on the canals and if you need first-hand info, don't hesitate to call them and ask for Brian (the owener).
Old 05-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #10
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
The NJICW might be a problem with your mast. They built the fixed bridges to a height of about 33 ft in places. Most go outside from Cape May to Absecon Inlet to Manasquan Inlet to skip all the drama. Its flounder season and the back bays are packed with fishermen. If you are stopping in CM and need a lift to the store or something let me know.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:40 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Zero issues on the Hudson other than the usual spring debris. Shady Harbor in New Baltimore is an excellent option, in our opinion, to stay or stage south of Albany. They're very keyed into what's happening on the canals and if you need first-hand info, don't hesitate to call them and ask for Brian (the owener).
Excellent, thank you. That's definitely the neighborhood I'm looking at. Give Jasper some head scratchies for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
The NJICW might be a problem with your mast. They built the fixed bridges to a height of about 33 ft in places. Most go outside from Cape May to Absecon Inlet to Manasquan Inlet to skip all the drama. Its flounder season and the back bays are packed with fishermen. If you are stopping in CM and need a lift to the store or something let me know.
Well that's awfully kind of you sir, I appreciate it I do plan to stop in Cape May, but not sure if I'll be tying up or dropping the hook. Maybe I'll make use of my fine forefoot, and wedge myself between Irish Lady and your neighbors, and come in like the Kool Aid guy.

I'm gonna need a lot of pinatas. Either way, we only need 22' so the bridges shouldn't bother us.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:10 PM   #12
Guru

Well Irish Lady is in Florida on the hard so if you get to a marina, I have pickup truck here in NJ. Anchored up will be a little more difficult because my center console needs some emergency engine (tilt cyl broke) work next week.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Old 05-23-2020, 08:25 PM   #13
Guru

This was Ludlam Bay in the ICW behind Sea Isle City, NJ Friday 5/22/20.
Attached Thumbnails
LudlamBay2020.jpg  
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46