Bed and Breakfast Marina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"still haven't chosen to spend a single night in a hotel."

But well done meals ashore are always a delight!

For us lunch works better than dinner , and leaves time to get anchored in the PM before dark.

I'd be interested. We're one of the ones with a smaller boat so it would be good to get off and be "pampered" if we were on a longer trip. Also, our boat only sleeps two, so an option like this would allow us to bring guests with us for overnight trips.

I hope this works out for you. Let us know when you're open for business. Eastern Mobile Bay is at the far end or our long weekend cruising range.

"still haven't chosen to spend a single night in a hotel."

But well done meals ashore are always a delight!

For us lunch works better than dinner , and leaves time to get anchored in the PM before dark.

But for those well done meals, then what price? What type food? B&B customers are going to expect very nice meals, typically larger dinners because they may be off doing other things at midday. I would say the typical market price of B&B meals would probably be $10 for breakfast and $15-20 for dinner. Some B&B's even more upscale. Now, you take the boat at the marina, not staying in the B&B. Are they interested in meals at those prices? For their entire stay or just one day? Now most B&B's I'm aware of only serve breakfast. So do you turn it into a regular communal table restaurant for dinner? Again, what prices? What menu selections?

You're now adding an additional business and profit/loss center and for any challenges running a marina or lodging has, they are simple compared to a restaurant.

I think a small restaurant (and bar!) at a marina would be ideal. Don't really care about B&B rooms...or cabins...or whatever, but if they help support the restaurant and bar that would be fine.

Keith

I think a small restaurant (and bar!) at a marina would be ideal. Don't really care about B&B rooms...or cabins...or whatever, but if they help support the restaurant and bar that would be fine.

Keith

How many small marina restaurants do you know that are profitable? Not very many. The best ones may pay the operators enough to live on, what they could make working elsewhere, but no more.

Thanks everyone for the valuable input. A lot of good points were made that we didn't think of and would definitely need to be considered before moving forward. The overall attitude seems to lean toward the Yes or good idea side, but the other make good points and obstacles to consider. I will hopefully have some updates as we explore this idea in the coming weeks. Thanks to all who have commented, I have spent a good amount of time on the water and in different ports through the gulf coast, rivers, great lakes, and east coast and I know what I like and dislike, but that does me no good when it comes to starting something like this because we need feedback from everyone we can get it from, good and bad. Our biggest obstacles right now are getting it started and which direction to go with it based on if this is something that would be popular or should be take it in a different direction, then there's the location; we would be close to three of the most popular marinas on the Alabama coast.

Just a few notes to clarify, when guests rent a room that arrived by boat, the cost of the slip rental would be covered by the room rental, which would not be outrageous or anything more than a typical B&B for the area. Pricing would be close to that stated earlier, $10 or so for breakfast and no more than $20 for dinner which would be no small breakfast or dinner. We would put a good bit of effort into the marina portion to make it just as inviting to stay there as any other place; laundry, showers, courtesy car, courtesy bicycles, supplies, pump out, etc. There is an old bait shop next door that would make for a great bar/lounge somewhere down the line.

If anyone wants to get an idea of its proposed location, it's in Bon Secour, AL on the Bon Secour River near Billy's and Aquillia Seafood. No matter what the wind direction, there is no raw seafood or fish smell, my wife wouldn't even consider this an option if there was. Again, still plenty of consideration needs to be done given its somewhat remote location (15 minutes to Foley shopping centers and Gulf Shores Beaches). The close proximity to LuLu's and The Wharf has definitely been on my mind, those traveling west would have no reason to stop so our best chance is to catch the ones coming down the bay and from the west, if they haven't stayed on the Mobile side.

Last edited:
Just a few notes to clarify, when guests rent a room that arrived by boat, the cost of the slip rental would be covered by the room rental,

No. Please not.

Provide discounts between the two but don't give away slips. Treat marina and B&B as profit centers and protect the profits of each. Can the B&B afford to pay the marina for the slip? I wouldn't think so. Also if slip is free, then those who just come to the B&B figure they should get some freebie since others are. I'd be fine with a 25% discount on the slip and I wouldn't even scream up to 50%. However, the idea of giving away inventory (and, yes, from a business perspective available slips are inventory) terrifies me and if you start that way it will never be something you can change easily.

Another idea, don't know if this makes sense, is a base for vacationers with trailerable boats.

Keith

How many small marina restaurants do you know that are profitable? Not very many. The best ones may pay the operators enough to live on, what they could make working elsewhere, but no more.
Agree that most of them are little more than seasonal grills - but the bar is the point, really. OK, it doesn't have to be on-site - I could see walking to it, but it really is nice to have drinks on a bar overlooking your boat.

Actually, now that I think about it - that "seasonal" component is going to be a challenge. I don't know the region or vacation patterns, but I suspect that the transit boating is seasonal. B&Bs? No idea, but that's its own challenge.

Maybe this entire business is seasonal?

No. Please not.

Provide discounts between the two but don't give away slips. However, the idea of giving away inventory (and, yes, from a business perspective available slips are inventory) terrifies me and if you start that way it will never be something you can change easily.

BandB is 100% correct. Do not give anything away that can bring you money. Maybe a small discount at the most. Rely on what you can provide over and above what the other marinas offer to attract cruisers in your area. (great food, impeccable facilities and attentive service) Trust me, word spreads very quickly along the Gulf Coast when a marina is a first class stop.

I do like the Wharf for one thing only; my wife likes the stop! I would much prefer a more laid back, peaceful marina than the Disney atmosphere that is the Wharf and LuLus. When I'm in that area I will fuel up at the Wharf then cruise to either Ingram or Roberts anchorage for the evening.

Who would be interested in staying at a marina/dockage with a bed and breakfast type stay? You can stay on your boat as usual or stay in one of the rooms of the on-site historic home built in 1850. Breakfast and dinner is cooked by the owners if you choose that option or you can just pay for dockage and use the courtesy car or bicycle to get around town. Showers and a lounge area also available in the home with nearby fuel docks, haul out yard, and local inshore charter fishing. Within walking distance of two Seafood markets where you can buy shrimp and fish right off the boats (there are no foul smells as no rotting fish is left at the markets). 15-20 minutes from beaches and outlet centers for shopping. Located about 2 miles off the ICW on the eastern side of Mobile Bay so you're right back on track when you leave and still moored in a protected cove. Short term dockage and long term anchorage available.

Would anyone be interested in something like this?

This is just in the idea stages and we are looking for feedback from cruisers.
Yes. We would love to stay a few nights on board a live-on Board trawler in B&B style with the owner on board. Want to learn what live on board life is like.
Bob and Wendy 916 7054234

I wonder what the OP from 2 plus years ago did with his dream. Sounded awesome.

I think it has the most appeal to trailered boats and the big center consoles. Those are not real sleep-able.

Sounds like a great idea to me. My wife especially loves the B.B thing, and a day or two on dry land while traveling is always nice. Good luck. Edit, Oops, looks like I responded to an old post a couple years old.

Yes. We would love to stay a few nights on board a live-on Board trawler in B&B style with the owner on board. Want to learn what live on board life is like.
Bob and Wendy 916 7054234

Note this thread is a couple years old, and the OP posted all 7 of his total forum posts here. None since.

FWIW, I think his plan wasn't about visitors being able to stay on board some other owner's boat; I think you'd have to bring your own. And then you'd have the options to stay on board your own boat in their marina... or in their B&B. No clue whether they put their plan into action or not...

On the idea of learning about liveaboard life... there's chartering... and that can be useful in at least three ways. One would be about the life style, another is about evaluation boat features, or even specific boats, that may be candidates for your future. The third would be it can make a pretty good vacation.

-Chris

I think that sounds like a fabulous business plan and idea! So long as you have enough revenue streams to make it work, I believe people would go out of their way for the unique experience of it.

If you build it we will come. Closer to a marina the better. Better yet if you allow pets. Admiral likes B&Bs.

Back
Top Bottom