Old 03-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Atlantic ICWW anchorage and marina advice

Hi, will be bringing 40' trawler down Atlantic ICWW late May/June. Final destination Green Cove Springs. Any recommendations for anchorages/marinas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:37 AM   #2
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Green Cove Springs, where?

Anyway, have you checked ActiveCaptain?

-Chris
Old 03-31-2016, 08:38 AM   #3

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Oriental. Two free docks; one with pump out and restrooms or anchorage in harbor or under 45' bridge.
bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Starting where? If the Chesapeake area and doing the Dismal Swamp Canal route, would suggest Lamb's Marina Lambs Marina
Old 03-31-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Browse through this site, lot's of discussion, For more thorough coverage:

On the Water ChartGuides | Home of On the Water ChartGuides Foundation
About the Guides | Waterway Guide
Cruisers' Net | Cruisers Helping Cruisers

As you get closer to a particular place of interest, and the kind of things you are really interested in, then maybe you could get some more info here from some of us vets. But there is a plethora of good information available already.

Is this a straight through delivery or an exploration cruise?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:09 AM   #6
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
There is Active Captain and there are several books with the information you are seeking. The Waterway Guides are good.

There are hundreds of anchorages and marinas along the way and it would be silly to try to list them all on a web forum.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Skipper Bob's book of Anchorages.

Great Book of Anchorages

Active Captain

They are the three main sources I use.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:34 AM   #8
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Here is a list of some of the stops we make when going from Norfolk to northern Florida. Not all are listed.
Chesapeake Yachts free dock just S of I 64- good place to spend the night to get an early start the next morning- avoids bridge restrictions
Elizabeth City, NC- free dock
Pungo River at the southern end of the canal
Oriental, NC- free dock
Beaufort, NC- Town Creek
Mile Hammock Bay, NC- basin dredged by the Marines
Wrightsville Beach off of Harbor Island
Butler Island on the Waccamaw north of Georgetown
Wapoo Creek east of Charlestown
Beaufort, SC
Broad Creek, Hilton Head
South end of Cumberland Sound across from Drum Pt Island

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Have Waterways guide and complete map tec charts. Was interested in peoples opinions. Will actually be starting out from Toledo Ohio thru Welland Canal then to Oswego N.Y. etc. Green Cove Springs located North Eastern Florida
Old 03-31-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
If you do not know about Active Captain, you need to find out about it and use it for this trip.

AC is a PC application and a marina/anchorage/hazard database that is built in to a lot of navigation apps. With either the PC version or the app version you are presented with a chart view (raster in the case of the PC version) with icons showing anchorages, marinas, etc. You click on an icon and a data box pops up with basic information about the icon. But more useful to me is the reviews that are included from users.

The PC version has a basic path tool that sets up a route and gives you its mileage or it can be converted to a route that some download to their gps.

It is an essential planning tool for anyone contemplating a trip such as yours. The PC version is free, but you have to register. Once registered then you can use the database on supported navigation apps and even some chart plotters use the database.

I just saw that you are starting in Ohio. That is an ambitious passage: two Great Lakes, the Erie Canal, down the Hudson to NYC, around NJ, up the Delaware River, down the Chesapeake. Wow, the AICW is only half of it and maybe the easiest half.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:26 PM   #11
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
Was interested in peoples opinions.
ActiveCaptain has reviews. You have to read between the lines, sometimes (i.e., consider the reviewer, relevance to your needs, etc.).

-Chris
Old 03-31-2016, 02:05 PM   #12
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Have Waterways guide and complete map tec charts. Was interested in peoples opinions. Will actually be starting out from Toledo Ohio thru Welland Canal then to Oswego N.Y. etc. Green Cove Springs located North Eastern Florida
Much nicer ride through the Erie canal from Tonawanda than the haul down Lake Ontario if you have time and the air draught.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Bridge clearance 18' or I wouldn't even consider the Lake Ontario route.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:25 PM   #14
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
My advice is to read the guides, particularly those with authors who have a stake in them being accurate and useful with a measure of accountability If you have to pick only one, I'd suggest the Doyle's, but our ideal suite includes the Waterway Guides and Chesapeake Magazine's annual cruising guide. And of course, subscribing to the LNM for the areas you are going through. The Doyles and the WG have on-line updates and news services as well. If you want see something that interests you ask about it here for opinions. I have hundreds of opinions about that route based on our cruising experiences, many already expressed on this site here.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:38 PM   #15
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
A huge question is...are you the marina to marina go out to dinner type? Or the anchor, dingy to a secluded beach or historic site type?....Or a combination of both?

You might ask what is everyone's top 10 and why...after you give a broadstroke as to your likes....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:59 PM   #16
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
That's fine but you need to specify the marinas and anchorages and solicit comments about specific ones. And of course, you have to tell us what things are important to you and what are not.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:06 PM   #17
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
An echo....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:24 PM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
It can be a great trip. Are you going to do it in pleasure mode or delivery mode? By that I mean are you going to enjoy the stops along the way and linger at many, or are you going to try to make the trip as fast as possible with a full day of travel each day?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Spruce Head
Vessel Model: Sabreline 36
Ditto. I need specific question about places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
My advice is to read the guides, particularly those with authors who have a stake in them being accurate and useful with a measure of accountability If you have to pick only one, I'd suggest the Doyle's, but our ideal suite includes the Waterway Guides and Chesapeake Magazine's annual cruising guide. And of course, subscribing to the LNM for the areas you are going through. The Doyles and the WG have on-line updates and news services as well. If you want see something that interests you ask about it here for opinions. I have hundreds of opinions about that route based on our cruising experiences, many already expressed on this site here.
This is my first year but I have a short list of specific questions that I would be glad to offer opinions.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:36 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I just saw that you are starting in Ohio. That is an ambitious passage: two Great Lakes, the Erie Canal, down the Hudson to NYC, around NJ, up the Delaware River, down the Chesapeake. Wow, the AICW is only half of it and maybe the easiest half.

David
+1. I would be researching the pre ICW part. Once on the ICW you've got it made.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote