Anchoring Behind Miami Beach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlaw7

Veteran Member
It’s been a few years since we used to stage for the Bahamas behind Miami Beach (around Belle Isle). We took the dink up the Collins Canal and, also, tied up at the Lincoln Road Boat Ramp near the Police outpost. Never really happy with Collins Canal but the ramp dock worked well for us. Is that still a viable spot? Other suggestions/recommendations for landing. We just want to walk over to Publix, etc.

Thanks!

tlaw7

H as no one on this forum anchored in the area around Belle Isle, on the west side of Miami Beach. Kinda hard to believe.

H as no one on this forum anchored in the area around Belle Isle, on the west side of Miami Beach. Kinda hard to believe.

Like you been a few years. Local law now prohibits anchoring in much of that area and also prohibits landing dinghy in Collins Canal. Like you would be interested to hear from someone that has tried it recently. In the absence of that input, would think safer bet is to anchor south of inlet somewhere on Biscayne Bay.

Thanks, I’ve heard similar stories. Key Biscayne Bight is a favorite anchorage - just not on weekends!!!

I occasionally stay with a friend who lives real near there. When I take walks along the bay, I see a lot of boats anchored there, west of Alton/West and just south of Venetian Causeway. I'm actually heading there for a long weekend, so if you want to connect maybe Sunday or Monday morning, I'll probably be walking with her along the walkway that runs alongside the bay, weather pending. While the perspective is from shoreside, that means I have a car and can pick up anything you might need.

Thank you. We’ll be in Key West at that time but I’d love to hear a “real time” report from you.

The Google Earth image of the area near the boat ramp shows a lot of anchored boats. Why don’t you contact the Miami Beach Marine Patrol and ask if you can anchor there overnight?

Back
Top Bottom