Anchorages in Northern BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Paul Larson said:
I just returned from the transit north from LaConner to Hoonah. I sent in my transit plan ahead of time and also had a transit plan printed to hand to the customs officer. They are not too concerned about staying where you chose to stay. They are more concern that your transit is as expediant as possible. Some of the anchorages suggested are now closed, such as Bottleneck & Kynoch. Check before you leave. You may call ahead for groceries. We did with the IGA in Port McNeill, delivered to the fuel dock.

You did it well and properly; you can be sure people appreciate the respect shown. :thumb:

Kynoch proved to be too big a temptation early on, for those who, like some on here, felt a little off the direct route is no big deal. Kynoch just encourages sneaking a bit further.

Not sure about Bottleneck, but I do know the Kitasoo (Klemtu) FN are keeping a close eye on traffic and probably feel the ES of Sarah is off track.

More boats are expected through June and with the border closure extended to at least June 21, the wary watchers will be active.

Kawini said:
I checked my charts, and I now realize that our “rock bottom” experience was also in the east cove of Codville Lagoon.

I couldn’t understand people saying they couldn’t hook in the north end, but it’s fine to believe it.The attraction to the east lagoon is the access to Sugar Lake.

I’ll keep the lake trail on the list for next time. Unfortunately, all we could do this time was look wistfully at the shore and listen to the loons.

We completed our transit and it went well. Thanks for all the excellent suggestions and input. Here was our route:

Day 1: Anacortes to Stuart Island/Reid Harbor - 31 miles
day 2: Van Isle/Sidney to clear in, then on to False Bay/Lasquiti - 81m
day 3: through Seymour narrows to Thurston Bay - 76m
day 4: Blunden Harbour - 93m
day 5: Ormidale - 99m
day 6: Coghlan anchorage - 98m
day 7: Brundige Inlet on Dundas Island - 103m
day 8: Ketchikan - 57m

Total was 638 miles from Anacortes and 607 from Sidney. We were prepared for CBSA with boat papers, itinerary, masks and positive attitude. We confirmed that we were targeting anchorages away from population centers and they seemed to appreciate that. They only asked about vaccines (yes) after the official interaction was complete. We talked some and my impression was that those being denied entry generally either were unprepared and/or brought an attitude of entitlement. A little humility goes a long way in life and at the Canadian border crossing. They confirmed that we didn't have to stick exactly to our plan as long as we didn't stray off the direct path.

The days were very long at 8 kts but there isn't anything to do when you stop so we just kept going. We lucked out with weather and didn't have a single rough day. No stops for us. It is a very long run when you can't get off the boat but, for us, way better than hanging out south of the Canadian border all summer. The adventure continues.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom