3 day test run in the PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RonR

Guru
Vessel Name
Triton
Vessel Make
48' Golden Egg Harbor
Took the boat out for a 3 day run, little fishing, little R&R. Everything worked like it should. First time for that !

Anchored in Port Ludllow one night, then got a dock spot at Point Hudson the next.
Enjoyed our first meal out in Months at Doc's Marina & Grill (Port Townsend Porter and Salmon Mac & Cheese).

We did very well fishing ! Just nothing we could keep or wanted, lots of beautiful rock fish, a lot of dog fish, a few halibut but they were very small so everything was catch and release in the water.

The highlights was seeing a few very nice Thunderbirds in Point Hudson, and a wonderful meal at Doc's.
The low was the ride back to Everett, a bit windy and some good waves, seen the anchor go under a few, first time for that.

Attachments

• fishing.jpg
    fishing.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 89
  • fishing2.jpg
    fishing2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 110
  • fishing3.jpg
    fishing3.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 101
  • fishing5.jpg.jpg
    fishing5.jpg.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Looks like a nice tour. How were the towns and marinas in the "Phase 2" environment?

Looks like a nice tour. How were the towns and marinas in the "Phase 2" environment?

We stayed on the hook at Port Ludlow. Port Townsend was set up nice. Doc's had clear directions of what was needed/required to enter (face covering and 6'). They had new partitions installed between tables and kept an empty table between people. Really first class set up for these times. Everyone was friendly and ready to help. They had face coverings for sale if needed. Once you were seated you were allowed to take your cover off, once finished with your meal they asked that you put them back on.

Ron, That's a nice Egg. What are the engines?

Glad you were able to enjoy and get out boating!

Funny, that green GA behind you is our fellow marina neighbor back at home port.

I've seen many Thunderbird 27 sailboats but never one quite like the one in the pic above. A Thunderbird restorer and owner brought his boat from Washington State to the Victoria Classic Boat show our past last Labour Day 2019.

I've seen many Thunderbird 27 sailboats but never one quite like the one in the pic above. A Thunderbird restorer and owner brought his boat from Washington State to the Victoria Classic Boat show our past last Labour Day 2019.

The one in the picture above is a glass boat. There were 3-4 more in the Marina (wood boats).
One time a long long time ago we were doing a log-dodge race on a Cal-24. We were doing fair for a floating bar. We were passed up by a Thunderbird like we were standing still, our crew was 3-16 year olds and one 40 year old, we thought we were fast. The thunderbird had two dudes in the mid 60's that were having a blast and kicking butt all day.
I have always loved the lines/simplicity of the Thunderbirds, and still want one of my own.

Attachments

• t-birds.jpg
    t-birds.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 77
Love the pic and the colour scheme of that red and white Thunderbird. I like the looks, don't like the below cabin amenities, small for a 27. A great day sailor, not as great for extensive cruising, but having said that, I know and have met families who have done just that with a smile plastered on their faces. That's how I feel here when talking about my Sedan Cruiser compared to some of the floating homes here on this forum. Is it possible to boat and be happy and yet not have a washer and drier?

The one in the picture above is a glass boat. There were 3-4 more in the Marina (wood boats).
One time a long long time ago we were doing a log-dodge race on a Cal-24. We were doing fair for a floating bar. We were passed up by a Thunderbird like we were standing still, our crew was 3-16 year olds and one 40 year old, we thought we were fast. The thunderbird had two dudes in the mid 60's that were having a blast and kicking butt all day.
I have always loved the lines/simplicity of the Thunderbirds, and still want one of my own.

T-birds and Surf Scoter in the same picture. Oh so Puget Sound.

Nice Egg by the way...

Please! 25'9"LOA, Always referred to as a 26 footer.
Designed in 1958, took the local scene by storm. Still some great examples around, as in the local classic boat scene.

Designed in 1958, took the local scene by storm. Still some great examples around, as in the local classic boat scene.

Thank you! I was starting to doubt my memory!

I saw you and your nice, new bright red canvas the night you anchored here in Ludlow from our slip. Looks good!

I live in Gig Harbor where T Bird number one was built by Guy Hoppen and the Eddon Boat Company. Ben Seaborn, the designer came to Gig Harbor because he knew Hoppen was intrigued by the use of plywood for sailboat construction. The two exchanged ideas and sketched their ideas on napkins.

T Bird #1 is on display at the Gig Harbor Maritime Museum and is being restored by volunteers alongside a 65' purse seiner also being restored by volunteers. The museum is a must visit if you come to Gig Harbor.

T Bird #2 has been restored at Eddon Boat Company by volunteers and is being used for a community sailing program down the street from the museum.

When I was growing up in the 60's, in Tacoma, WA, the plywood capitol, there were a lot of T Birds being built in backyards. Some were completed, some not. At the Fort Lewis Boat Building Shop, there were four T Birds being built alongside each other, in different stages. Those 4 were completed by GI's during their free time.

We stayed on the hook at Port Ludlow. Port Townsend was set up nice. Doc's had clear directions of what was needed/required to enter (face covering and 6'). They had new partitions installed between tables and kept an empty table between people. Really first class set up for these times. Everyone was friendly and ready to help. They had face coverings for sale if needed. Once you were seated you were allowed to take your cover off, once finished with your meal they asked that you put them back on.

ACK so far I have been able to enter most store sans no mask with little to no push back. When I get push back I go elsewhere. Sounds like some phone calls and chatting ahead of my tour in Puget sound next weekend. The mask thing has gone to far. If ya wanna wear it fine but don,t try and force it on me. Business has to because there open to lawsuits from their employees. Crazy times.

I saw you and your nice, new bright red canvas the night you anchored here in Ludlow from our slip. Looks good!

Had to get up at 1 am and take it all down as the wind was kicking up.

ACK so far I have been able to enter most store sans no mask with little to no push back. When I get push back I go elsewhere. Sounds like some phone calls and chatting ahead of my tour in Puget sound next weekend. The mask thing has gone to far. If ya wanna wear it fine but don,t try and force it on me. Business has to because there open to lawsuits from their employees. Crazy times.

Fair enough, but for the Salmon mac and cheese at Doc's I will put another one on!

I live in Gig Harbor where T Bird number one was built by Guy Hoppen and the Eddon Boat Company. Ben Seaborn, the designer came to Gig Harbor because he knew Hoppen was intrigued by the use of plywood for sailboat construction. The two exchanged ideas and sketched their ideas on napkins.

T Bird #1 is on display at the Gig Harbor Maritime Museum and is being restored by volunteers alongside a 65' purse seiner also being restored by volunteers. The museum is a must visit if you come to Gig Harbor.

T Bird #2 has been restored at Eddon Boat Company by volunteers and is being used for a community sailing program down the street from the museum.

When I was growing up in the 60's, in Tacoma, WA, the plywood capitol, there were a lot of T Birds being built in backyards. Some were completed, some not. At the Fort Lewis Boat Building Shop, there were four T Birds being built alongside each other, in different stages. Those 4 were completed by GI's during their free time.

Gig harbor is on our list for this summer.
If you know a few local thunderbird boats, the one that I have always like is called Mare.
After riding and showing horses for the last 25 years... its a fitting name for most any boat.

I realized the error of my ways after it was too late to edit. I owned a Catalina 27, what I call the Chevy of the ocean so that length has been forever burned into my mind.

Well after a few days of washing/drying/cleaning and repairs were ready for round 2. The forward hatch now has a means to lock it shut. It also has a snap on cover!

Getting ready for a 11 day run in the San Juan's starting next Thursday out of Everett.

Well after a few days of washing/drying/cleaning and repairs were ready for round 2. The forward hatch now has a means to lock it shut. It also has a snap on cover!

Getting ready for a 11 day run in the San Juan's starting next Thursday out of Everett.

Nice Just redid my windows and my main hatch one more window and hatch to go. We put off till August to do SanJuans hoping Canada opens by then.

We are headed to the San Juan's on Thursday as well out of Anacortes. Weather looks favorable. I think we will be around Roche harbor or English Camp area.

We are headed to the San Juan's on Thursday as well out of Anacortes. Weather looks favorable. I think we will be around Roche harbor or English Camp area.

See you up there !

No Problem

Make sure you wear your T Shirt, "Don't SAVE me, I don't CARE about YOU!":ermm:

Get Smart

Make sure you wear your T Shirt-

"Don't SAVE me, I Don't CARE about YOU!"​

There still is an active fleet of T-Birds in Gig Harbor. One of my long time patients owns one. My guess is that he will sell soon as he has rapidly progressing Parkinson's. He is still sailing it regularly, but....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom