2 questions about Mooring balls in PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jllehman86

We’ve recently made the transition from East Coast to West Coast cruising. On the East Coast it is pretty typical to leave your mooring pendant in place on your permanent ball along with a float with a stick for easy pick up. I don’t see that in the PNW. Why is that? Are pendants more likely to pick up growth? Marinas don’t want to have floating pendants? Curious as to the accepted approach.

What’s usually a safe number of boats that can raft on a single ball or anchor in modest, protected conditions? I am sure that depends significantly on the size/type of mooring anchor. I sometimes see “flotillas” of rafted boats. Are there any general rules of thumb?

Thanks!

Jon L.
“Gratitude”
Greenline 39

The water here is very fertile so your pennant will be a growth encrusted blob in a very short time.

The park bouys are limited to a single vessel up to 40’. The groups you’d see rafted are usually on their own hook.

Welcome to the best cruising grounds around! Where are you home ported?

Different evolution.... would bet growth in the SE and Gulf Coasts are pretty rampant too.

Can't say what the West coasts determines safe for size of vessel/rafting...in some/many commercial fields what determines that is what the system is rated for (from anchor to pendant) and swing space.

The water here is very fertile so your pennant will be a growth encrusted blob in a very short time.

The park bouys are limited to a single vessel up to 40’. The groups you’d see rafted are usually on their own hook.

Welcome to the best cruising grounds around! Where are you home ported?

Up to 45 feet.

Interesting question. Our boat is 48 feet overall, but the waterline length is 41 feet. Several years ago at the Seattle Boat Show I asked the people at the state parks booth about buoys. One of them said I was too long and another said they go by waterline length, so I was fine. They can't seem to agree, so I just drop anchor.

Does anyone have an update on the Helix anchors that are replacing the cement blocks used to anchor mooring bouys (state mooring bouys)? Do they have the same restrictions-boat length, weight etc.

Our marina uses Helix anchors in the mooring field. The “strongest” of them accommodates boats up to 60 feet. I suppose bigger Helix anchors are available.

Interesting question. Our boat is 48 feet overall, but the waterline length is 41 feet. Several years ago at the Seattle Boat Show I asked the people at the state parks booth about buoys. One of them said I was too long and another said they go by waterline length, so I was fine. They can't seem to agree, so I just drop anchor.

The Washington Parks website doesn't specifically answer the question, but the one reference is in the information on the annual permit, where it states the fee is $5 per foot of vessel length. I suspect they would use that same criteria for the 45' rule.

Our marina uses Helix anchors in the mooring field. The “strongest” of them accommodates boats up to 60 feet. I suppose bigger Helix anchors are available.

I see where there are multiple sizes of Helix anchors. I was wondering about the state mooring bouys. I would think the standards would change. The helix anchors have several times the holding power, so you would think the length of boat would increase as well. Weight of the boat seems more applicable, but harder to enforce I'm sure.

I see where there are multiple sizes of Helix anchors. I was wondering about the state mooring bouys. I would think the standards would change. The helix anchors have several times the holding power, so you would think the length of boat would increase as well. Weight of the boat seems more applicable, but harder to enforce I'm sure.

Swing room is also a consideration when determining allowable boat length.

Up until a month ago we had zero experience with mooring balls because we tend to like being away from the crowds but on the way back north ,we figured we give the field in Carolina Beach a whirl. Liz asked me what the routine was for picking up a mooring and I told her i guess we just grab the painter floating in the water with a boat hook. She booked it on dockwa and verified by phone where they told us to grab any open one. We tooled up to the field and the mooring buoys were a style that's the best thing I could've imagined, a big "cup" on top of the buoy that held the tag line nicely stowed inside and clean as a penny. Our hands never got wet and the boat stayed clean.

Mooring in Pacific Northwest

I appreciate all the answers! Last Summer, we were in Nantucket at Nantucket Moorings and they had pendants attached. They were in use so often I doubt they had time to grow anything! I also read about pendant requirements/recommendations in various yacht clubs and marinas to understand our best set up for the San Juan Islands.

The primary issue in my research seemed to be about strength/durability to weather storm conditions. The stick floats were pretty common too which meant you didn't need a boat hook to retrieve the pendant. Most of the balls I see in PNW have simple rings and you figure out how to attach to them. It seems like a chore if your conditions aren't cooperating.

I have two options: 1. a double line set up with a large (made for mooring) snap shackle at the ball end that I will use for any temporary mooring. 2. a larger size single pendant with a "permanent" shackle on the ball end and twin spectra bridle at the boat end plus a "stick" float for easy retrieval. I'll probably only deploy #2 when I'm away from the boat for extended periods and will bring it along when out cruising.

I had seen the Washington Parks restrictions on rafting but appreciated the color commentary. I was wondering about loads, etc. on private moorings as well.

Jon L.
"Gratitude"
Greenline 39

It’s best to stay off of private moorings unless you have permission from the owner. The state marine park buoys are your best option for mooring buoys.

Definitely stay off any private mooring. I use the state park moorings very rarely any more. With the smaller boats I had I used them a lot, but with a bigger boat and better anchor equipment I would rather just drop the hook. Then you don’t need to listen to that noisy mooring balls chain rattle or thump against the hull.
I still buy the annual moorage pass for state park docks and buoys so I can use them if I want, plus it helps fund the parks.

Down East things are a bit different.

In Maine, almost all moorings are private. Some are owned by yacht clubs and marinas, and they may rent them out. Clubs may or may not make them available, for free or for a fee, to members of other clubs. State parks and local towns also rent moorings.

Most private moorings are used as permanent homes for local recreational and commercial boats. Obviously those are not available for transients.

But there's a whole other class called "recreational moorings." Mooring permits are issued by the local municipality. Moorings near a dinghy dock, parking area or residence are generally assigned to locals, and there's a long waiting list. But most towns have no problem issuing a permit (and collecting the nominal fee) for moorings in remote coves which used to be popular anchorages. These are used as weekend getaways, and sit for long periods with no boat on them.

The unwritten rule in many locations is that a transient is welcome to use one, at their own risk, as long as they move immediately if the owner shows up.

It's not a good system, but that's the way it is.

Back
Top Bottom