$24 pump out? What?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting you should mention this. Pinellas County Florida (St Pete, Clearwater, etc.) bans sale of fertilizer during the summer rainy months.

Back to topic, I don't have a dog in this fight as I went compost head. But I applaud the general sentiment of the participants to this thread as it sounds like most try hard to be responsible. But my back-of-napkin math of ratio of boats with a dozen beer drinking passengers on the ICW compared to traffic af pump-out stations adjusted for boats headed out an inlet to the Gulf, I'd say responsible pump out users are in the minority, likely a tiny minority. Frankly, I doubt the barrier is a fee. More likely just not convenient compared to flipping a switch.

Peter

I share your suspicion, from my casual observation, the traffic in and out of any given harbor far exceeds the traffic at pump out stations and pump out boat patronage.

I have been a guest on a number of private vessels where the head is not used at all through implicit or explicit direction (signs saying do not use, locked head doors or just the established presence that guys pee overboard and ladies hold it). It is kind of off-putting and not they way I run my boat, I want my guest to be comfortable and holding your bladder or feeling awkward for "breaking the seal" on the head is not comfortable for anyone.

I don't have any restrictions on my head use, but if I were to expect people to pee overboard, I think I'd rather have them pee into a toilet that empties overboard. Same result. Same as all the beach goers whom wander into waist deep water all the time to pee.

Step back far enough, look at the demons and the world is a lot more simple that we tend to make it.

Wow. You could poop in the street for free. Sad.

Note that the original poster said this $43 bucks was a mobile service. When you are anchored out at Clipper Cover in the middle of the bay during fleet week and don't want to give up your spot and go to a marina for a pump out $43 bucks is pretty cheap. I guess you are right however you can just hang it overboard for free.

Last edited:
I'm just surprised that anyone charges at all for pump outs. Around here, it's free everywhere you go.

We have mobile service that is free - I tip $10 because I want him around when I need him.

I have heard East Florida with the reefs - 20 miles out to discharge not the 3 miles like up here in the north - but I did not confirm.

We have mobile service that is free - I tip $10 because I want him around when I need him.

I have heard East Florida with the reefs - 20 miles out to discharge not the 3 miles like up here in the north - but I did not confirm.

Clean Boater FAQ | Florida Department of Environmental Protection
Nov 9, 2020 — Coastal boundary limits are nine nautical miles on the Gulf and three miles on the Atlantic Ocean. ... Under federal law, if a boat has a Y-valve allowing direct overboard discharge of untreated waste, ...

Around Massachusetts' Buzzard's Bay and its surrounding sounds we have well over 125,000 seals each of which devour about 10#s of fish daily. And environmentalists have yet to develop a pump out for them.

I don't know what ''north'' you refer to. Massachusetts has imposed no discharge limits for all its waters. A trip to a legal discharge area is about 15 miles off shore

Around Massachusetts' Buzzard's Bay and its surrounding sounds we have well over 125,000 seals each of which devour about 10#s of fish daily. And environmentalists have yet to develop a pump out for them.

They're called sharks. People don't like them either.

Back
Top Bottom