$24 pump out? What?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scratching my head... Didn't the State of MD. or the Dept. of Natural Resources have a program to increase the number of pump out stations on the Bay ? They contributed money to build them but they also capped the fee charged.
FWIW in Solomons, MD. $ 5 Calvert marina, free at Spring Cove and there is a public pump out that's free.

Yes, but...

Not all pump-out stations were subsidized by the State. Those that weren't are often faced with getting their own storage tank (septic tank) pumped out eventually, afterwards... since they're often not on any sort of city water/sewage system.

(Our own marina on the western shore got a 300% increase in pump-out costs to them, a few years ago... so not surprisingly they had to raise their rates for their non-State subsidized pump-out service.)

Of the several places in the St. Michaels main harbor, the hotel is most expensive, St. Michaels Marina is next, Higgins and the Museum tie for least expensive. (I don't remember if Higgins has a pump-out or not.)

The Museum annual membership -- the the boater level -- is a good deal, although slips still aren't always available to members given the short reservation window.

Wouldn't surprise me if ALL of those pump-outs were NOT State subsidized... although I don't know for sure.

-Chris

San Diego Bay is free at the Harbor Patrol dock. We were in a marina that put in a pumpout for their slip renters and someone pumped out a load of oily bilge water. The marina got a hefty fine and removed the pumpout.

I think in the end, the cheaper and more convenient it is for boaters, the more likely they are to use pump outs regularly. If it becomes expensive and inconvenient, more will find ways to circumvent the system. If the waterfront towns want boaters to comply, it's in their best interest to support the system.

As stated above, Connecticut has pump out boats that are subsidized. So does NY and RI. Some are run by private companies, some by municipalities.
They service marinas, anchorages, and mooring fields.
Most tip $5 , some more. It's actually a great summer job as they make some serious cash in tips.
There are also some pump outs at marinas, and they charge, but it's usually around $5 (at least the ones I'm familiar with) so it's basically a wash with the pump out boats.
However there are some marinas that do charge quite a bit. Where I used to winter store the Albin on the CT river, they started charging $50 for a pump out prior to hauling if the marina did it.
Free if you did your own. Wasn't much of a decision there.

As stated above, Connecticut has pump out boats that are subsidized. So does NY and RI. Some are run by private companies, some by municipalities.
Most tip $5 , some more. It's actually a great summer job as they make some serious cash in tips.
There are also some pump outs at marinas, and they charge, but it's usually around $5 (at least the ones I'm familiar with) so it's basically a wash with the pump out boats.
However there are some marinas that do charge quite a bit. Where I used to winter store the Albin on the CT river, they started charging $50 for a pump out prior to hauling if the marina did it.

Good cash for the young guys running the boats, but a crappy job. (Sorry, too easy!)

There is a shortage of public restrooms in all American cities. Sure you can always use the toilet in a store or restaurant, but will they allow you if you are homeless?
'

So how do you think they managed to not poop in the streets for 2 centuries and only now do they have to poop on the sidewalks?

In san diego, i paid 35 bucks a pumpout for the boat to come by. At my marina in the delta its 10 bucks for the boat.

BTW When it rains, San Francisco dumps all its sewage in the ocean untreated.

There are some beautiful places in CA, too bad they are in CA!!

The $50 for pump out at haul out is a totally different thing and I have no problem with that. It means the owner dropped off their boat to be hauled for winter storage with a full holding tank. The boat then needs to be taken to the pumpout station by the marina and pumped out prior to being hauled. I'm surprised it's not more than $50 for the time involved. My marina has a similar policy.

The $50 for pump out at haul out is a totally different thing and I have no problem with that. It means the owner dropped off their boat to be hauled for winter storage with a full holding tank. The boat then needs to be taken to the pumpout station by the marina and pumped out prior to being hauled. I'm surprised it's not more than $50 for the time involved. My marina has a similar policy.

Similar policy at my marina as well, although they have a portable pumpout tank / trailer setup next to the lift pit for this purpose. They still have to slow down their operation to pump it, then at some point empty out the trailer tank though.

Similar policy at my marina as well, although they have a portable pumpout tank / trailer setup next to the lift pit for this purpose. They still have to slow down their operation to pump it, then at some point empty out the trailer tank though.

And keep in mind, that if this is happening during haul out, even if it doesn't take long, you are holding up several workers as well as the entire haulout schedule that can be hundreds of boats in a matter of weeks. In my mind, $50 is a small price to pay for such a negligent owner, and easily avoided.

There are some beautiful places in CA, too bad they are in CA!!

You better knock on wood,

CT is not far behind CA and it sure isn't as nice there as it is in CA

My 'then' wife and I lived in Mystic while I was going to sub school, back in the middle 60s. This was before Mystic was famous. LOL

My sanitary district now charges $740.18 a year! A significant portion of my property taxes. ... You would be so fortunate to be their employee.

Why does every decent boating conversation have to devolve into a bunch of political garbage over and over?
BD

I can't defend CT in terms of tax rates, because we are not far behind. Whether it's as "nice" is a matter of opinion.

Why does every decent boating conversation have to devolve into a bunch of political garbage over and over?
BD
Because 'conservative' media has been driven by nothing but fear mongering and sports team mentality for far too long. It goads their hapless followers into behaving like rabid spectators at some dumb-ass sporting event. All the while profiting mightily from advertising to them. Keeping them stoked on fear and peddle ads for junk to them is apparently quite profitable. And their viewer base has no idea how thoroughly they've been conned.

Greetings,
Mr. BD. I guess it's easier to point fingers than take the blame yourself.

We were based in Camden, NC for 5 years. The marina owner, evidently, DID have an OK to install a pump out system on the government $ BUT the local sewage treatment plant (I'm guessing Elizabeth City, NC, municipal government) refused to accept boat sewage because the formaldehyde holding tank treatment damaged their sewage ponds, or something to that effect. That was the story the owner told me...true, or not.

IF true, I'm pointing fingers...Sorry. There WAS a pump out @ Pelican Marina that we used when we went out into Albermarle Sound WHEN it was working. How Pelican dealt with the effluent, I have no idea.

Mr. wk. Just saw your post. That's not the answer to Mr. BD's question. It's exactly what he is commenting about.

Last edited:
IMO, if the govt mandates boaters comply with NDZ, it's incumbent on them to provide reasonable convenient ways for boaters to empty their holding tanks.

Because 'conservative' media has been driven by nothing but fear mongering and sports team mentality for far too long. It goads their hapless followers into behaving like rabid spectators at some dumb-ass sporting event. All the while profiting mightily from advertising to them. Keeping them stoked on fear and peddle ads for junk to them is apparently quite profitable. And their viewer base has no idea how thoroughly they've been conned.

Funny how the NY Times wrote an article on themselves and the entire US media as so negative the US leads the world yet again.

To say conservative media is worse than al, media shows how easily Americans are swayed...either way by the media.

IMO, if the govt mandates boaters comply with NDZ, it's incumbent on them to provide reasonable convenient ways for boaters to empty their holding tanks.

Its not opinion, its actually part of the process of getting an NDZ approved.

Like so many topics here on TF...if the posters researched first, then posted......

https://www.epa.gov/vessels-marinas-and-ports/vessel-sewage-no-discharge-zones

EPA determines that adequate facilities for the safe and sanitary removal and treatment of sewage from vessels are reasonably available. (33 U.S.C. 1322(f)(3) (PDF)(10 pp, 170 K)).

Greetings,
Mr. s. 400+ gallons for holding tank capacity? Impressive!

iu
This has actually happened at our lumber yard.

Its not opinion, its actually part of the process of getting an NDZ approved.

Like so many topics here on TF...if the posters researched first, then posted......

https://www.epa.gov/vessels-marinas-and-ports/vessel-sewage-no-discharge-zones

EPA determines that adequate facilities for the safe and sanitary removal and treatment of sewage from vessels are reasonably available. (33 U.S.C. 1322(f)(3) (PDF)(10 pp, 170 K)).

But who defines "adequate" or "reasonable". This thread was started because someone was charged $24 for a pumpout. Others have complained that there are not adequate facilities in some places or prices are too high. Just because the EPA states that "adequate facilities are reasonably available" does not make it so

Who does?

The EPA as I just posted and there are more explanations and reasoning explained in research of the topic...

Sure its arbitrary, like just about everything in life if you don't agree with it.

There are some exceptions to their pumpout guidelines and establishing an NDZ....just don't have the details to post more just yet.

This helps a tiny bit with what is used to determine adequate facilities...it not detailed, but is more than a bureaucrats thumbs up or down.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/epa-releases-new-tool-to-analyze-costs-3280902/

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. PM. "This has actually happened at our lumber yard." So, how did you get out of THAT one? Not you? Is the perp' in management now?

iu

My 'then' wife and I lived in Mystic while I was going to sub school, back in the middle 60s. This was before Mystic was famous. LOL

Wasn't Mystic always famous? I was a schoolboy in the late 60's and remember going on the ships on field trips to the Seaport Museum.

Jim

Wasn't Mystic always famous? I was a schoolboy in the late 60's and remember going on the ships on field trips to the Seaport Museum.

Jim
Mystic became more famous when the pizza parlor was used in a movie.
We left before the villag was finished. We did visit, I think it was the Morgan. Not much room and almost no creature comforts. They were hearty men who went to see on those sailboats.
They have a school there for building and maintaining wooden sailing ships.

LOL I just looked up https://www.mysticseaport.org and things sure have changed since I was there.

Last edited:
Mystic Seaport by Wikipedia...

"Overview
The museum was established in 1929 as the "Marine Historical Association". Its fame came with the acquisition of the Charles W. Morgan in 1941, the only surviving wooden sailing whaler. The Seaport was one of the first living history museums in the United States, with a collection of buildings and craftsmen to show how people lived; it now receives about 250,000 visitors each year."

I was there in 1982 and it was rocking then.

The movie came out in 1988.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom