$20 to dock your dinghy for dinner.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps the best thing to do, before everyone goes crazy speculating (too late!), would be for someone to actually go to the restaurant, ask to speak to a manager, and appraise them of the situation, and ask them if there is any workaround, or if they even care that the marina policy may be driving clients away.

After all, the restaurant provides free parking to customers who drive/arrive at their restaurant via cars, perhaps they may be willing to make accommodations for customer who arrive at their restaurant via dingys.

Personally, for us, a $20.00 surcharge for "parking" in order to have the privilege of spending, say $60 to $80 for lunch would mean we would not patronize their establishment, but that's just us . . . . . :whistling:

Perhaps the marina determined the dinghy dock was getting too crowded and wanted to reduce the number of folks tied up or allow space for their members dinghy's. Was it getting loud and annoying folks who were berthed there.

We were at Block this summer and the dinghy's were 2/3 deep requiring you a huge hassle to get on and off, ended up having an oar broken by someone trying to get their dinghy out.

Perhaps asking the marina why the charge would give an explanation.

Also consider if you took a launch service up and back it would likely be $20.

Perhaps the marina determined the dinghy dock was getting too crowded and wanted to reduce the number of folks tied up or allow space for their members dinghy's. Was it getting loud and annoying folks who were berthed there.

There is no designated dinghy dock at this marina and are actually very few dinghies that dock there as there are not a lot of anchorages in the area and no moorings. They used to allow people to use the transient dock space (if available) for temporary dockage of any small boat for dinner at Joseph's Italian restaurant. Sounds like now they are charging for that. There also used to be space at the end of the fairways but that has been turned into full time dockage now.

Hmmm, maybe the resturant is satisfied with the local population and those who rent a slip???

Hmmm, maybe the resturant is satisfied with the local population and those who rent a slip???

And those who will pay daily fees. The restaurant has no dock and has made no arrangement for dockage for their guests at the transient dock. The other restaurant there has a dock.

There is no designated dinghy dock at this marina and are actually very few dinghies that dock there as there are not a lot of anchorages in the area and no moorings. They used to allow people to use the transient dock space (if available) for temporary dockage of any small boat for dinner at Joseph's Italian restaurant. Sounds like now they are charging for that. There also used to be space at the end of the fairways but that has been turned into full time dockage now.
Now we are getting somewhere; local knowledge.

My speculation is, the restaurant would shrug, toss the issue back to the marina and in the grand scheme of things, not miss the minimal number of dinghy diners.

OK, so who is calling the restaurant? Lot of speculation from forum members here. Give them a call. gezzz 67 posts and no call?

I'm on the west coast so this doesn't apply to me.

It's a way to control the population of the rowdy, no good boat people.

:D
:hide:

Last edited:
Well, if you are planning on spending $200 or more for the meal, what's the problem with $20 more?

Well, if you are planning on spending $200 or more for the meal, what's the problem with $20 more?

That's the problem, one guy out to a probably reasonable restaurant might be $50 with a glass of wine and tip.

As someone said, a boat of 4 or 5 to a nicer place, sure.

And that's why things get silly in the world
Why not $50?
Why not $100?

It's like tipping culture
Parts of the world that have never heard of tipping and in the past would actually chase us down the street if you left small coin now, since "tippers" have been visiting expect it.

It has not helped the workers, the boss in many cases cut wages and staff in these lands ,in some cases now rely on tips

For the end user, there is no benifits, prices simply got more expensive.
We rarely visit touristy areas when overseas because of this

So, for the record… Joseph’s is one of the nicer restaurants in the area and is always busy. Also, they don’t give a crap about boater access. It is barely a remainder in their overall business.

HOWEVER… the marina closes at 5p and the restaurant does not open until 5p. So does all this hoopla really amount to anything? I don’t think so. Let’s move in, shall we?

I was being somewhat sarcastic.

So, for the record… Joseph’s is one of the nicer restaurants in the area and is always busy. Also, they don’t give a crap about boater access. It is barely a remainder in their overall business.

HOWEVER… the marina closes at 5p and the restaurant does not open until 5p. So does all this hoopla really amount to anything? I don’t think so. Let’s move in, shall we?
Great post. 100%

Ah, so now I'm thinking OC Diver's work around was to wait until 5p, tie up, climb the fence and dine happily after seven.

One thing I'd like to add to the thread. The regional managers of Safe Harbor are available by phone and the one time I called one he was gracious enough to answer a very pointed question I asked.

I think Safe Harbor has some kind of membership "thingy" available. I wonder if someone with a membership would have to pay that amount. Perhaps less or free?

Then go. No harm no foul.

If the restaurant feels harmed they will figure something out. Let the market forces do their work.

At some point, the restaurant will either do a voucher system to validate dinghy parking and a negotiated rate with the marina, or perhaps offer a pickup / drop off service for dinner guests... Sort of a dinghy uber service for their patrons.

… You are correct in that the marina is entitled to something for dinghy dockage. On Waterway Guide they're advertising transient dockage $1.60 per foot. My 10' dinghy would be $16 for the whole night! So yes, $5 would have been fine; $10 would have been "whatever "; $20 is "we don't want you "…..
Ted

Agree. Frustrating at best. Personally, especially after listening to some of the correct rationale - that they have a right to charge something, I think that when any vendor crosses the line, going from “cost plus a reasonable profit”, to outright greed… is when I move from frustrated, to angry… and I don’t want to do business with you. We all have different thresholds for this.

If they're packed every night, why would they go to that trouble or expense?

Here is another way to look at it. In the SF Bay Area there are few places you can dock and have lunch/dinner (maybe a half dozen). Some previous places like The Ramp, and the Rock closed or abandoned their docks because the trade from the water did not support the costs of maintenance and liability insurance. I would be happy to pay 20 bucks around here for a new place to tie up for a couple of hours.
The cost of docks in many high end neighborhoods doesnt produce enough add on business to justify the dollars spent.

I see arguments both ways. Like “it’s just honest capitalism “

So it’s also just capitalism for Atlas to shrug, and just say no and let lower demand sort it all out.

I agree with OC Diver. Just say no and give them no more thought

I think if the restaurant saw a decline in business that could be directly correlated to the dock fee they should take some step to change the situation. Many restaurants validate for parking, presumably compensating the parking lot owners.

Vote with your wallet. There are a few waterfront restaurants here, some are actullay part of the marina property. Some are free to tie up for lunch (boat, not just dinghy) and some will charge like $1/foot. I have stopped going to the ones that charge. I can't see paying money just so I can go spend money. I think it's taking advantage of the boaters. Both the marina and the restaurant benefit by having customers arrive by boat. I get it that the property has costs, but if I arrive by car, I can park for free. It's your money, spend it where you want. Personally I'm not going to pay to dock just so I can go pay to eat. Not being cheap, just don't see the need for spending $100+ for a light lunch, there are other options.

The local businesses, city or state should fund a dedicated dinghy dock if traffic is high. Get money back and more in business profits, employee income tax and other benefits.

Just my opinion.

I think if the marina and/or the restaurant want boaters as customers they should make it easy for them. If they don't need or want them, then charge whatever they want and a few will probably still show up, just won't be me.

Back
Top Bottom