Old 08-03-2022, 11:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Anchorage
Exterior Cetol Maintenance Coat; only gloss?

I recently purchased a used boat in which the exterior bright work has been well maintained. I want to keep the tradition going. I know the previous owner used Cetol Marine Gloss over, a pigmented Cetol Marine product (not exactly sure which color). My question is, when I apply my annual maintenance coat(s), do I only re-apply the gloss? Based on what I've been reading; I think your only supposed to reapply the gloss, but I'm not 100% clear.

As a follow up, I'd be interested in hearing about folks' experiences, tips, and tricks, in prepping surfaces for Cetol maintenance coats.

Thanks in advance! - Ryan
ryastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:32 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We did maintenance coats annually. We usually washed with soap then lightly sanded with 220 grit then 2 coats of the gloss. If there were areas that we had chipped through our base coats of the Cetol Light, I would add a couple of coats of the Light with a foam brush and then fair that into the surrounding finish. I’d wait a week for that to cure then start with the 2 maintenance coats. The last time we got almost 10 years before we stripped everything off and started a new.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:25 AM   #3
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
What LarryM said above. I washed with TSP and a scotch bright pad. Sanding will provide for a better finish as with any product but is NOT necessary for adhesion.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:08 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
When we had to overcoat our Cetol, we gave the surface a quick wipe down with lacquer thinner. Seemed to clean and soften the surface for re-coat.
We only used the original Cetol Marine which has a tint.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:12 AM   #5
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
If the underlying base of Cetol is in good shape then you only need to lightly sand the previous Gloss coats and apply new coat of the Gloss.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 02:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Anchorage
Thank you all for the replies!
ryastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:24 PM   #7
Guru

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
Late to the party, but Larry said it all. Cetol is very forgiving. I top coat with clear, but scrape down places that chipped/failed/ got water intrusion and go with a few base volts then gloom to match the rest.
On a different note, I'm experimenting with Epiphanes this year on some trim. I like the look and smell.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote