Old 05-10-2022, 08:46 PM   #1
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
An Honest Update From Furuno

I received the following from Furuno Dealer support:

An Honest & Up-Front Update

Component Shortages & Global Shipping Delays Continue Impacting Product Availability & Deliveries

May 10, 2022

Sales Bulletin #2022-10

All of us were taught from a very young age… “Honesty Is The Best Policy.” While that sounds like a childhood lesson, it’s really a simple statement all of us should strive to live by, both personally and in business. Furuno has dedicated many years building and maintaining a reputation for being “The Most Trusted Name In Marine Electronics”. We take that statement very seriously, not just as a branding slogan, and we trust that our honest and consistent actions over many years support that bold statement as being true!

Of course, it’s easy to be honest when there’s good news to share, but when the news is not so good it becomes a more difficult challenge to remain sincere and candid. As tough as it may be, Furuno is devoted to remaining up-front with all our Valued Dealers, Distributors, Authorized Resellers, and End-User Customers, even if our honesty might negatively impact our business in the short term. At the same time, we also have faith that our loyal customers will appreciate Furuno’s honesty and respect our integrity. This is one of those times.

There’s no easy way to say it… Ongoing component shortages, global shipping delays, and other external challenges continue negatively impacting our ability to fill existing orders and keep up with customer demand… and it’s going to take some time for us to catch up.

If you have orders in our system, you’ve likely already experienced lengthening delivery times. Even more aggravating, you may have been previously advised of an upcoming delivery time frame, only to be told as that delivery date approaches… “It’s delayed again.” We can’t imagine a more frustrating situation. In fact, we literally share that exact frustration when we’re advised by our own suppliers that expected deliveries of key components have been delayed further, virtually halting production lines for multiple products. This is just one example of numerous delay scenarios we’ve been facing for much longer than anyone expected. Please understand, these are not excuses but simply factual details we feel must be shared with you in an effort to maintain our pledge of honesty and integrity.

The primary purpose of this bulletin is not to call out specific product availability or revised delivery dates. The goal of this message is to provide you with the following facts…

We are taking every measure possible to increase production and decrease delivery times.
We are paying to airfreight many goods from overseas, normally shipped via sea freight.
We are working hard to identify suitable alternative components to continue production.
We are being as accurate as possible when providing you with delivery time estimates.
We remain dedicated to fair & equitable allocation of goods for all Valued Furuno Customers.
If you find your order is further delayed, it’s not because it’s been allocated to someone else.
If an advised time estimate changes, it’s because we’ve received an unforeseen update.
We are striving to be more proactive in updating you on any significant delivery changes.
For new orders, you may be given delivery estimates that are many months from now.
In some cases, you may be told… “We just don’t know at this moment”… because we don’t.
We have received a number of “Pleasant Surprises” with some deliveries actually improving.
Our Order Service staff and your Regional Manager/Sales Associate are here to help.

We truly wish we had more positive news to share. We also know we’re not the only marine electronics company experiencing delivery challenges, and we can only hope your other suppliers are being as forthcoming about the similar challenges they’re facing. Most importantly, we sincerely hope our candor invokes the trust you’ve built with Furuno over the years, giving you confidence that we are working tirelessly to provide you and your customers with the very best products and support.

Furuno USA, Inc.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:18 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
The above bulletin answers questions buyers may have about recent increase in backordered orders.

I had one of my best January and February's this Boat Show season. Most of the orders were backordered but delivery estimates were conservative and many item arrived early. Delivery of backordered products were in 3 to 6 weeks.

Now the backorders are scheduled 3 to 4 months out.

Prices went up first and second quarter for most manufacturers.

If something you want is currently in stock, buy it! If will be gone by the time you "think about it". I sent many quotes to clients during December and early January on items in stock at distributors. Many bought but others wanted to think about it and by the time they decided, the product was out of stock or had gone up in price.

And if buying from a store on the internet, contact them to verify that the item is in stock and get a ship and delivery date. Most of the web stores don't stock product, neither do I, and have the item dropped shipped to the buyer from the distributors. Distributors do not have accurate live inventory reporting available to dealers.

I always contact distributors to verify stock when I see low quantities on their web site since they have been incorrect at times. And relay the information to clients and forward delivery updates if I receive any.

Pay for the purchase with a credit card, PayPal or some other payment that allows charge backs favoring the buyer in case delivery time is not as promised.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:18 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
That letter only shows more why we continue to prefer Furuno.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:37 AM   #4
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
That letter only shows more why we continue to prefer Furuno.
Geez, BandB, I get that you prefer Furuno but this letter merely confirms what we know all producers of goods are facing today in trying to bring products to market. Nothing new and certainly not a reason to buy or not buy a Furuno product. There are plenty of good reasons to buy Furuno but this is not one of them.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:11 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Geez, BandB, I get that you prefer Furuno but this letter merely confirms what we know all producers of goods are facing today in trying to bring products to market. Nothing new and certainly not a reason to buy or not buy a Furuno product. There are plenty of good reasons to buy Furuno but this is not one of them.
I disagree. I value transparency and apologies in vendors. It's not enough to say we know many manufacturers face issues, but need one to discuss their own shortcomings and issues.

Over the last 28 months, communication with customers has become even more critical than it already was. Have their competitors sent such a letter? As a customer, I appreciate it because I know our customers appreciate such notifications. A strong reason to like Furuno is their customer support.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:41 AM   #6
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
I absolutely get what BandB is saying here. I don't necessarily mind if I need to wait to get a product, but it's very helpful to know that it's 3 months out rather than "should be in stock soon... wait, no, it'll be another month, etc." Much easier to plan around a decent conservative estimate vs an optimistic one that keeps moving.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote